133rd AES Convention, San Francisco 2012

Geoff Grace

• Members

I used to go to all the AES Conventions that were in SF (and I also attended one in L.A.), and kinda regret that I'm not up there now. Always great to see people. I look forward to any exciting stuff that's announced, especially if it's something in which the cabling never gets tangled and organizes itself, or something that never crashes or requires constant upgrades. biggrin.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by MikeRivers View Post
I spotted Craig leaving the downstairs men's room yesterday. He was rushing off to do another seminar.
What are you implying--that Craig shares bodily functions with humans? There's some controversy as to whether Craig needs to eat, sleep, etc., like the rest of us mere mortals.

Mike, if you can contribute your observations to the dedicated AES forum--including a link to your show report, which I always look forward to--that would be great.

• CMS Author
Quote Originally Posted by Jon Chappell View Post
What are you implying--that Craig shares bodily functions with humans? There's some controversy as to whether Craig needs to eat, sleep, etc., like the rest of us mere mortals
I only saw him leaving. I don't know how long he was in there or what he was doing. Hopefully he was writing a manual for Sony Spectral Layers and will send it to me before I get home and try out the program.

Honestly, I've spent more time in the technical sessions than on the show floor this show. It's busy, but (as we've become accustomed to saying recently) smaller than ever. Very little in the way of live sound, some key manufacturers are conspicuous by their absence, and probably the most talked about product was Slate's oversize iPad DAW controller.

I don't know when I'll get a report cranked out, but I'll post a link here when I do. I'll probably return to Falls Gulch on Thursday to find that my house has floated away. Are you battened down?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by MikeRivers View Post
I'll probably return to Falls Gulch on Thursday to find that my house has floated away. Are you battened down?
Yes, but it's starting to get weird. I live in a suburb north of NYC, on the coast, and in a low-lying neighborhood that frequently experiences power outages and flooding. We're taking precautions as much as we can, but we may be in for a few days of trouble.

Here's what the NY Times says I can look forward to:

Hurricane Sandy churned relentlessly through the Atlantic Ocean on Monday on the way to carving what forecasters agreed would be a devastating path on land that is expected to paralyze life for millions of people in more than a half-dozen states, with extensive evacuations, once-in-a-generation flooding, widespread power failures and mass transit disruptions.

Archived