usb 2.0 to spdif/coax..small interface?

spottyaudio

• Members

just bought a roland fantom x and am thinking i might have better sound..if i'd even notice which i probably wouldnt, by running it through something like the title says. currently, its using stereo out to the 1/8 input on the stock motherboard soundcard of a dell desktop and i really do think there is better to be had. i dont need a fancy interface with mic pres and such, but am not adverse to one either. low budget, well, not 1k plus which i guess can be low to some, simple and win xp compatible meaning nothing that doesnt come with drivers like the cheapy behringer one i have already.

thanks for any suggestions,
mike

• Members

Your probably not going to find a replacement without getting a full unit instead of just S/PDIF to USB (it's always the case if you want to upgrade your capabilities), this unit has S/PDIF digital In and Out look at the Back:

Scarlett18i6-Rear-0cbc5b28f2367fe5a8ce1c

Specifications

Microphone Inputs 1-2

- Frequency Response: 20Hz - 20kHz +/- 0.2 dB
- Gain Range: +13dB to +60dB
- THD+N: 0.001% (measured at 1kHz with a 20Hz/22kHz bandpass filter)
- Noise EIN: 124dB analogue to digital (measured at 60dB of gain with 150Ohm termination (20Hz/22kHz bandpass filter)
- Input Impedance: 2kOhm

Digital Performance

- A/D Dynamic Range > 110dB (A-weighted), all analogue inputs
- D/A Dynamic Range > 106dB (A-weighted), all analogue outputs
- Clock Sources:
- Internal Clock
- Sync to Word Clock on SPDIF Input (RCA)
- Sync to Word Clock on ADAT Optical Input
- Clock jitter - Supported Sample Rates: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz
- 18 input channels to computer: Analogue (8), SPDIF (2), ADAT (8)
- 6 output channels from computer: DAW (6)
- 6 output channels from Scarlett 18i6: Analogue (4), SPDIF (2)
- 18 input by 6 output mixer

Line Inputs (Inputs 1-2)

- Frequency Response: 20Hz - 20kHz +/- 0.2dB
- Gain Range: -10dB to +36dB
- THD+N: 0.001% (measured with 0dBFS input and 22Hz/22kHz bandpass filter)
- Noise: -90dBu (22Hz/22kHz bandpass filter)
- Input Impedance: >10kOhm

Line Inputs 3-8

- Input Level: +10dBu for 0dBFS (balanced inputs)
- THD+N: 0.001% (measured at 1kHz with a 20Hz/22kHz bandpass filter)
- Noise: -100dBu (22Hz/22kHz bandpass filter)
- Input Impedance: >10kOhm

Instrument Inputs (Inputs 1 and 2)

- Frequency Response: 20Hz - 20kHz +/- 0.1dB
- Gain Range: +13dB to +60dB
- THD+N: 0.004% (measured with 0dBu input and 20Hz/22kHz bandpass filter)
- Noise: -87dBu (20Hz/22kHz bandpass filter)

Analogue Audio Outputs (Outputs 1-2)

- 2 Electronically Balanced Outputs
- Maximum Output Level (0dBFS): +16dBu
- THD+N: 0.001% (0dBFS input, 20Hz/22kHz bandpass filter)

Crosstalk (Channel Isolation)

- Any input to input: > 100dB
- Any output to output: > 100dB
- Any input to output: > 100dB

Digital Performance

- A/D Dynamic Range > 110dB (A-weighted), all analogue inputs
- D/A Dynamic Range > 106dB (A-weighted), all analogue outputs
- Clock Sources:
- Internal Clock
- Sync to Word Clock on SPDIF Input (RCA)
- Sync to Word Clock on ADAT Optical Input
- Clock jitter - Supported Sample Rates: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz
- 18 input channels to computer: Analogue (8), SPDIF (2), ADAT (8)
- 6 output channels from computer: DAW (6)
- 6 output channels from Scarlett 18i6: Analogue (4), SPDIF (2)
- 18 input by 6 output mixer

Weight and Dimensions

- Dimensions (W x H x D):
- Unboxed: approx. 215mm x 45mm x 220mm (8.5 x 1.8 x 8.7 inches)
- Boxed: approx. 335mm x 275mm x 125mm (13.2 x 10.8 x 4.9 inches)

- Weights:
- Net Weight: 1.5kg / 3.3lbs
- Gross Weight: approx. 2.39kg / 5.3lbs

Analogue Channel Inputs (Inputs 1-8)

- 2 Mic XLR Combo (channels 1-2) on front panel
- 6 Line TRS (channels 3-8) on rear panel
- Automatic switching between Mic / Line (channels 1-2)
- Switching between Line / Instrument Inputs (channels 1-2) via Scarlett Mix Control Application

Digital Channel Inputs (Inputs 9-18) 44.1 - 96kHz

- Stereo S/PDIF input on RCA
- 8 optical ADAT channels (4 channels at 88.2 / 96kHz)

Analogue Audio Outputs (Outputs 1-4)

- 2 TRS Jacks
- Output Level control (analogue)
- Separate Stereo Headphones Mix (outputs 3/4) on TRS with independent analogue volume control

Digital Channel Outputs (Outputs 5-6) 44.1 - 96kHz

- Stereo S/PDIF Output on RCA

Other I/O

- 1 USB Type B Connector
- 2 Standard 5-pin DIN MIDI connectors: In and Out
- DC Power Input Connector (for use with supplied universal input power supply)

Front Panel Indicators

- 8 2-segment input meters, -18 and 0dBFS
- LKD Lock Indicator
- USB Host Connected Indicator
- Instrument input source selection LED for channels 1 and 2
- Phantom Power (48V) switch and LED for inputs 1 and 2

Compatibility

MAC: OS X 10.6.5 Snow Leopard

WINDOWS: Windows 7 (All versions), Windows Vista (32bit only), or Windows XP SP3 (32bit only) Dimensions and Weight in PackagingShipping Weight: 5 lbs Shipping Dimensions: 13 x 11 x 5 in
It is quite comprehensive and I looked for an interface with just S/PDIF and Behringer is the only one I could find, I hope you find what your looking for.

• CMS Author
just bought a roland fantom x and am thinking i might have better sound..if i'd even notice which i probably wouldnt' date=' by running it through something like the title says. currently, its using stereo out to the 1/8 input on the stock motherboard soundcard of a dell desktop and i really do think there is better to be had.

Of course there is better, and it's worth some experimenting.

i dont need a fancy interface with mic pres and such
Ah, the "I don't need all the bells and whistles, just something simple" cry of the musician. Unfortunately, manufacturers find that it's easier to sell products to people who can use all the bells and whistles, so stripped down iinterfaces tend to be either at the high end, low end, or nonexistent. Roland (under the Edirol brand, now Cakewalk) used to make a simple S/PDIF-USB interface but I don't know if they still do.

simple and win xp compatible meaning nothing that doesnt come with drivers like the cheapy behringer one i have already.
Is that the UCA-200 series? Have you tried it with your keyboard yet? It's likely better than the built-in sound card, though you need to be careful with the (analog) input level - you may need to keep tthe output volume of the keyboard fairly low to avoid overdriving the interface. Watch the meters on your DAW. It may be all the improvement you need.

The Focusrite Scarlett series is excellent and very flexible. If the 18i6 sounds like overkill for you, the 8i6 is less expensive (no ADAT I/O) and also has S/PDIF. There's a review on my web page.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by spottyaudio View Post
just bought a roland fantom x and am thinking i might have better sound..if i'd even notice which i probably wouldnt, by running it through something like the title says. currently, its using stereo out to the 1/8 input on the stock motherboard soundcard of a dell desktop and i really do think there is better to be had. i dont need a fancy interface with mic pres and such, but am not adverse to one either. low budget, well, not 1k plus which i guess can be low to some, simple and win xp compatible meaning nothing that doesnt come with drivers like the cheapy behringer one i have already.

thanks for any suggestions,
mike
What

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by CTStump View Post
Sorry Jon ... I think he was trying to improve his capabilities beyond what he has already got with the Behringer.
Well, does his Behringer have S/PDIF?

Quote Originally Posted by spottyaudio View Post
what if i just wanted usb to digital input? does such a thing exist?
Call me a nut

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by MikeRivers View Post
The Focusrite Scarlett series is excellent and very flexible. If the 18i6 sounds like overkill for you, the 8i6 is less expensive (no ADAT I/O) and also has S/PDIF. There's a review on my web page.
That's a quite extensive review Mike,told me alot about the latency issues of this unit, I'm getting at best with my current Emu 1616 about 5ms tops so i if the 18!6 gets 7ms or better I'll be a happy camper being as it is USB. Of course I'll upgrade my windows OS before I purchase this unit.

Excellent and comprehensive review.thumb.gif

• Members

With a simple Google search I found this unit from ESI that might also do the trick it's striped down to the very basics but might be what is needed:

This one comes with ASIO drivers and is a little over 100 bucks. The bare minimum with decent drivers.

• Members

yes guys, the behr unit i have is only analog ins/outs. i have never gotten the input side to recognize under xp but the output side had been very useful. since i need to have my computer talk to me as i cant see the screen, having two soundcards when using the laptop for music between bands or at a festival is really quite handy, but its limited by the fact i cant use the input to get sound in. its ok though, i bought it for 2 dollars at guitar centers "get all this old crap out of our bins" sale a few years back.

Archived