Happy Thanksgiving To All At HC

WRGKMC

• Members

And Happy Thanksgiving to you, WRGKMC, Ken, and all!

Good luck with the job changes. As a computer guy, I know the feeling. I'm indie, but I basically have to keep packing all this new stuff into my head trying to keep up. And I'm not entirely sure my head's capacity is similarly expanding...

• Members

Back atcha.

I spoke to someone who was mastering an album I recorded for a client. He said, "The greatest thing that can happen to many people is to get fired." He went on to explain that he had a job at an insurance company, was making good money, had good benefits for his family. And he just kinda went to work, punched the clock, wasn't all that enthusiastic. He got fired. He didn't know what to do at first, but finally decided, "I love recording. I'll open up a studio." He said that if he hadn't gotten fired, he would have probably never left it because it was safe and secure, and he probably wouldn't have had the impetus to leave.

Anyway, I'm grateful that I like my job. While I didn't change careers, I changed to another position, and I feel revitalized and am much happier. And I make enough money and have enough personal time that I can pursue things like music and photography. And in this sort of economy, I am genuinely grateful for that.

• Members

Hey, I'll agree with everything here: Happy Thanksgiving.

And every job I have ever quit/been fired off/left amicably has resulted in a move to a better, higher paying job with people who are even better at what they do than the ones I was working with.

Here's to the fact that the only way to make larger leaps in working conditions or pay scale is to change jobs! thumb.gif

Now I'm gonna spend a couple of hours working through programming tutorials for yet another technology (I'm trying to move from being a hack WP "developer" to understanding the ins-and-outs of MVC, specifically Zend so that I can rework stuff in Magento and aMember) facepalm.gif It would suck if I didn't like constantly learning new techniques. love.gif

• Members

W - As some on my short list of 'go to' guys for musical knowledge...I want YOU to have some fun today...that's an order....

It's just a meal...you can find a buffet somewhere or hit up your friends house and turn your brain off for a minute...don't take it seriously..

I passed up on so many invites because I didn't want to be the third wheel...where in retrospect, it was probably a good chance to have some fun, meet some people...might even be some networking options......

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by UstadKhanAli View Post
Back atcha.

I spoke to someone who was mastering an album I recorded for a client. He said, "The greatest thing that can happen to many people is to get fired." He went on to explain that he had a job at an insurance company, was making good money, had good benefits for his family. And he just kinda went to work, punched the clock, wasn't all that enthusiastic. He got fired. He didn't know what to do at first, but finally decided, "I love recording. I'll open up a studio." He said that if he hadn't gotten fired, he would have probably never left it because it was safe and secure, and he probably wouldn't have had the impetus to leave.

Anyway, I'm grateful that I like my job. While I didn't change careers, I changed to another position, and I feel revitalized and am much happier. And I make enough money and have enough personal time that I can pursue things like music and photography. And in this sort of economy, I am genuinely grateful for that.
Happy Belated Thanksgiving to all.

Yeah, getting fired or an unplanned parting from ones job really can cause anxiety and all those crazy thoughts but like Ken said, its usually a blessing in disguise. For me, a position I held several years ago was no longer there and that forced me to go places I never would have. At first, I hated it and didn`t want to go but eventually it became a blessing. My composing was revitalized and now I`m composing with ease and a newfound focus never imagined.

Archived