Black Friday-Cyber Monday music deals.

dramey

• CMS Author

Are they really deals? Some of those "deals" that I've seen advertised were actually cheaper earlier in the year,

Is it really something you'd wan, or is it a discontinued item or a dog that they can't sell any other time of the year? I noticed a couple of Fender amplifiers for $100 in Guitar Center's Black Friday flyer, and I'd been thinking of getting a simple utility amplifier to replace my ancient Ampeg Reverbrocket that was humming pretty bad and had some weird and unpleasant distortion last time I turned it on. I researched the Fender amps that were on sale and decided that I really didn't want either one. Maybe drum deals are more attractive. I dunno.

I spent a couple of days this week fixing the Ampeg. Geez, I'd forgotten how much easier it is to work on tube gear than most of the stuff that I've acquired in the past 20 years. And fun, too, to really figure out what's wrong, replace a couple of parts, and have it working again.

• Members

I have to say I was tempted by $5 harp deals at a certain megastore whose initials aren't SA -- but they were first come, first served, supplies limited and I figured that had the potential for a traditional BF stampede.

I'll say this much -- I wouldn't go shopping for a fine instrument on Black Friday.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by MikeRivers

View Post

I'd been thinking of getting a simple utility amplifier to replace my ancient Ampeg Reverbrocket that was humming pretty bad and had some weird and unpleasant distortion last time I turned it on.

Take it to an amp tech. Probably needs to be recapped. Money much better spent than on some cheap modern POS.

• CMS Author
Quote Originally Posted by KHAN View Post
Take it to an amp tech. Probably needs to be recapped.
Sorry for the unintended topic switch here, but you apparently didn't read my entire post, or missed the point of this side-track. I repaired the amplifier. The problem was a bad capacitor, which I replaced. And the point is that troubleshooting and repairing the amplifier was more fun than buying a new one. Furthermore, instead of paying $100 for a new amplifier with hundreds of built-in backing tracks and a USB port (as well as a bunch of tone profiles that I'd probably never use), it cost me $2 for a new capacitor.

It probably never hummed less than it does now even when new. I couldn't reduce the power supply ripple significantly by temporarily substituting a new filter capacitor, so I didn't bother to try to find a replacement for that part. It's a bugger to change, and I doubt that a direct replacement is available any longer so I'd have to make a mechanical kludge from available parts. If I could find a 4x20uF 450v electrolytic in a can today, it would probably be about as old as the one that's in there now, and about as good. But they's probably someone selling one on eBay. wink.gif

• Moderators

Quote Originally Posted by dramey

View Post

Is it cool to post Black Friday music related deals around here? I don't want to get banned, but a certain site (that I am not related to in any way) is selling a couple drum vst's so cheep it warrants posting.

Go ahead, post that link! Inquiring minds want to know.

Archived