Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pop music changing to reflect hard times?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Pop music changing to reflect hard times?

    According to this article, tempos are slowing, smaller proportion of songs being written in a major key, other changes as well.



    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...tml?ref=topbar



    Terry D.
    Telling Stories releases 2nd CD, see our WEBSITE! Please check out my GROUPIE STORY and Tales from the Road.

  • #2
    Well, the headline has the key phrase, since 1960 -- and there's been a LOT of economic fluctuation since then, from "Hard Time Killin' Floor Blues" to "Happy Days Are Here, Again," and back, numerous times.



    Me, I've seldom bonded with relentlessly cheery songs no matter the time signature or mode.



    A notable exception might be "Age of Aquarius" -- but I was just getting back into rock in my mid-teen years, I was coming out of a major depression (and used the song when it would come on the radio [it never occurred to me to buy it because I still thought it was kind of sappy] to lift my spirits, along with some mental imaging techniques) -- and, if I recall/interpret correctly, "Aquarius" is nominally in a minor key, anyhow. Ditto for "Get On Up," another uplifting song I liked anyway. (A lot, actually, but part of that was seeing Curtis Mayfield play it at his last show, a real celebration... sadly everything changed the next day.)
    .

    music and social links | recent listening

    Comment


    • #3
      Complete nonsense



      Hello, Terry
      new album - smoke
      forum - the asylum

      Comment


      • #4


        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfVsfOSbJY0








        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPUmE-tne5U








        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHFDa9efCQU








        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKCnHWas3HQ





        Happy! Happy!!!! Oh so happy!



        Ten Harmony Central points if you can get through all four of these songs in a row. I think this wins a free MarkydeSad concert in your own living room!!



        Wheeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!
        Ken Lee on 500px / Ken's Photo Store / Ken Lee Photography Facebook Website / Blueberry Buddha Studios / Ajanta Palace Houseboat - Kashmir / Hotel Green View - Kashmir / Eleven Shadows website / Ken Lee Photography Blog / Akai 12-track tape transfers / MY NEW ALBUM! The Mercury Seven

        Comment


        • #5
          You are one sick puppy, Ken.





          That said, I've always had some weird soft spot for "Downtown." I wanted to hate it from the first time I heard it as a young teen. But I just couldn't.



          Unlike the first three...
          .

          music and social links | recent listening

          Comment


          • #6
            But it seems they're looking only a pop music. With dance music, chill and trance are often in minor keys, while rave and house are often more major, or ambiguous (e.g., mostly tonic/fifth).



            My takeaway is that if you want to stand out from the current crowd, you need to write short songs in major keys, with fairly fast tempos. I guess this means Marky's time is near!
            CHECK IT OUT: Lilianna!, my latest song, is now streamable from YouTube.

            Subscribe, like, and share the links!

            Comment


            • #7






              Quote Originally Posted by Anderton
              View Post

              But it seems they're looking only a pop music. With dance music, chill and trance are often in minor keys, while rave and house are often more major, or ambiguous (e.g., mostly tonic/fifth).



              My takeaway is that if you want to stand out from the current crowd, you need to write short songs in major keys, with fairly fast tempos. I guess this means Marky's time is near!




              new album - smoke
              forum - the asylum

              Comment


              • #8
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im5eOBqb1Zs









                nat whilk ii

                Comment


                • #9
                  Personally speaking, I`m much more attuned to sad, moodier, angry music... not necessarily in that order. Then again, I was flipping through stations earlier today and caught the last 2 minutes of Beethoven`s 9th Symphony... wow, thank God I was at a red light... it sent chills through my body... just heavenly.



                  Depends on the mood I guess.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Well, I'm among those who find solace in darker music and lyrics. Not least because so many 'happy' songs seem so patently phony. Now, sure, irony helps. First time I heard "Don't Worry, Be Happy," I was rather charmed. (McFerrin's an interesting musician and an engaging performer. I wouldn't swear to it but I may have first heard the song seeing him at the Hollywood Bowl with the LA Phil, one of those ultra-light summer pops things. It was a fun evening. What I remember. I drank back then. And that may have been the night we ended up with not one but two wine bottles rolling away under the seats, one row at a time, blonk... blonk... blonk... everyone turning to look at the weird punk rockers in the cheap seats.)
                    .

                    music and social links | recent listening

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Are times really harder, or is it just more acceptable now to admit it?



                      I wasn't alive in the 60's, so I really have no idea, but I have this impression that back then it wasn't as socially acceptable to be publicly sad or negative. Like there was a sort of obligation to sugarcoat things publicly.



                      That could lead to happier-sounding pop music. Then over time, when it became more okay to show your sadface, pop music would follow suit.
                      ____________________________
                      Powered by squirrels.

                      Comment


                      • #12






                        Quote Originally Posted by veracohr
                        View Post

                        Are times really harder, or is it just more acceptable now to admit it?



                        I wasn't alive in the 60's, so I really have no idea, but I have this impression that back then it wasn't as socially acceptable to be publicly sad or negative. Like there was a sort of obligation to sugarcoat things publicly.



                        That could lead to happier-sounding pop music. Then over time, when it became more okay to show your sadface, pop music would follow suit.




                        Good point.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          You can change whether music is appealing to your dark side or not. In fact the type of music you expose yourself to can be feeding depression and all sorts of ills. Think of it as food with poor nutritional value, or at least incomplete nutritional value. Can music cause anger and depression? Yeah, I think so
                          <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

                          “Music is well said to be the speech of angels... nothing among the utterances allowed to man is felt to be so divine."

                          ~Thomas Carlyle

                          Comment


                          • #14






                            Quote Originally Posted by veracohr
                            View Post

                            Are times really harder, or is it just more acceptable now to admit it?



                            I wasn't alive in the 60's, so I really have no idea, but I have this impression that back then it wasn't as socially acceptable to be publicly sad or negative. Like there was a sort of obligation to sugarcoat things publicly.




                            Well I was alive then, and I think what you're characterizing was more common in the 50s. The 60s was a transitional point, because there was a great amount of societal upheaval (assassinations, civil rights, awareness that we were trashing the earth, etc.). So you had groups like the Doors, Clear Light, even the Jefferson Airplane expressing some of the darker elements of life mixed in with the happy happy pop that co-existed with it.
                            CHECK IT OUT: Lilianna!, my latest song, is now streamable from YouTube.

                            Subscribe, like, and share the links!

                            Comment


                            • #15






                              Quote Originally Posted by Beck
                              View Post

                              You can change whether music is appealing to your dark side or not. In fact the type of music you expose yourself to can be feeding depression and all sorts of ills. Think of it as food with poor nutritional value, or at least incomplete nutritional value. Can music cause anger and depression? Yeah, I think so
                              CHECK IT OUT: Lilianna!, my latest song, is now streamable from YouTube.

                              Subscribe, like, and share the links!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X