Ravi

nice keetee

• Moderators

I live 2 miles from his home. I order his favorite dish at Kim's Vietnamese. It's called "Ravi's Favorite" oddly enough. In the 70's him and George used to hang at Paramahansa Yogananda's Self Realization Fellowship a mile away. Encinitas loves Ravi! RIP. 92 really is a good long life.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Lee Knight View Post
I live 2 miles from his home. I order his favorite dish at Kim's Vietnamese. It's called "Ravi's Favorite" oddly enough. In the 70's him and George used to hang at Paramahansa Yogananda's Self Realization Fellowship a mile away. Encinitas loves Ravi! RIP. 92 really is a good long life.
I didn't realize or had lost touch with the fact that Ravi lived down your way.

I was just thinking about the fellowship campus there as I rode past on the train last weekend and passed it.

When my folks and I used to drive down to my grandparents' place in Mission Beach in the 50s and 60s (before the freeway) we'd pass the meditation center. My grandparents were very much into yoga and meditation and Parmahansa Yogananda's Autobiography of a Yogi. I have a soft spot for his brand of consciousness raising deyoked from formal, traditional religion. Also, the fact he had long hair meant that my grandmother and grandfather were about the only people in my extended family who didn't give me a hard time about my long hair at the start of the 70s. wink.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Lee Knight View Post
May he rest in peace or reach Nirvana and not have to come back as a mosquito or house fly(no joke intended as this could be a possibility within that belief system).

On another note, Encinitas(if it is the one in Southern California) may love Ravi but my memories of that town back in the 70's, it did not love me. I remember Surfing there just a a half mile north of San Elijo State Beach one morning with my friend Vernon and being harassed by some local's to the point of a fight. Not a fond memory but the again that was pretty normal in those day's hopefully Ravi's Karma wore off there(not to say it was that bad of a place, my experience could have been unique).

If you were one of those locals, Vernon is sorry about your lost tooth.

• Members

Wow, Ravi and Brubeck lived sort of parallel lives and they passed within a month of each other(like, what a trip man!) I noticed on the news he has a young daughter following in his footsteps on the sitar.

We have a Paramahansa Yogananda's Self Realization Fellowship here in Fullerton about a mile away from my place. Never been in there but its a nice old exotic building. A few years ago I saw a picture of a young Leo Fender wearing a straw hat photographed in front of it after his high school gradution. Not sure what it was back then though.

So long Ravi.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by blue2blue View Post
One of my 3DW pals found this and posted it on his FB wall, Ravi Shankar Reminisces About John Coltrane:

http://turboverbal.blogspot.com/2009...-john.html?m=1
Really cool article of Ravi reminiscing about John Coltrane. BTW, I have met Ravi Coltrane a couple of times briefly, although I knew his brother Oran and his mother Alice much better.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Raymar

View Post

We have a Paramahansa Yogananda's Self Realization Fellowship here in Fullerton about a mile away from my place. Never been in there but its a nice old exotic building.

We have one here in West Los Angeles as well, and it's a very peaceful place with a lake. There's a lot of meditation classes given there as well, and anyone can walk the grounds.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Raymar View Post
Wow, Ravi and Brubeck lived sort of parallel lives and they passed within a month of each other(like, what a trip man!) I noticed on the news he has a young daughter following in his footsteps on the sitar.

We have a Paramahansa Yogananda's Self Realization Fellowship here in Fullerton about a mile away from my place. Never been in there but its a nice old exotic building. A few years ago I saw a picture of a young Leo Fender wearing a straw hat photographed in front of it after his high school gradution. Not sure what it was back then though.

So long Ravi.
It probably started out as one of their buildings. The one down south is pretty exotic.

Although I thought there was a spiraled dome someplace...

https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.0...12.32,,0,-3.82

I'm wondering if the spiraled dome wasn't in what is now called Swami's Seaside Park... in the wedge shaped section...
https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.0...04823&t=h&z=18

[addendum]

Nah... I just came back from checking Google Images. I'm pretty sure I was simply thinking of this arch...

self-realization-fellowship-1-s-1024x682

... not, of course, that there's anything simple about that arch. wink.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by UstadKhanAli View Post
We have one here in West Los Angeles as well, and it's a very peaceful place with a lake. There's a lot of meditation classes given there as well, and anyone can walk the grounds.
In Pacific Palisades, IIRC. A serene place to visit.

Best,

Geoff

• Moderators
Quote Originally Posted by blue2blue View Post
It probably started out as one of their buildings. The one down south is pretty exotic.

Although I thought there was a spiraled dome someplace...

https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.0...12.32,,0,-3.82

I'm wondering if the spiraled dome wasn't in what is now called Swami's Seaside Park... in the wedge shaped section...
https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.0...04823&t=h&z=18

[addendum]

Nah... I just came back from checking Google Images. I'm pretty sure I was simply thinking of this arch...

self-realization-fellowship-1-s-1024x682

... not, of course, that there's anything simple about that arch. wink.gif
My daughter was baptized there^^^. Same daughter came home from school yesterday to say Ravi's niece cried all day in Spanish class.

• Moderators

And the Memorial is going on right now at the temple pictured above^^^, down the street from my home. My wife said she would try to attend if she could get in. Fat chance I'm sure though it is open, first come first served. And here I am at work! Daughters Norah Jones and Anoushka of course will be in attendence. As will Paul McCartney.

RIP Ravi.

• Moderators

My wife managed to get a seat. She said it was one of the most beautiful ceremonies ever. Each attendee is handed a white rose as they enter. Then they sit and listen to an hour of live Indian music. Bear in mind, these aren't local guys on the sitar and tabla, these are the world's best and part of Ravi's inner circle. The music was reportedly... sublime.

As were the speakers. Mrs. George Harrison was seen but McCartney was either disguised quite well or a no show.

So long, Ravi.

Archived