Ravi

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ravi

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/p...-dies/1762831/

92 is a good long life, and he did so very much to advance the sound of Eastern and "world" music. May he RIP! namaste!
    Every paint-stroke takes you farther and farther away from your initial concept. And you have to be thankful for that. Wayne Thiebaud

Friend me on FACEBOOK!

Comment

I live 2 miles from his home. I order his favorite dish at Kim's Vietnamese. It's called "Ravi's Favorite" oddly enough. In the 70's him and George used to hang at Paramahansa Yogananda's Self Realization Fellowship a mile away. Encinitas loves Ravi! RIP. 92 really is a good long life.

Comment

Ravi Shankar gave us a huge gift of music.

Truly a life worth celebrating!

RIP, Mr Shankar.

music and social links | recent listening

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Knight
          View Post

I live 2 miles from his home. I order his favorite dish at Kim's Vietnamese. It's called "Ravi's Favorite" oddly enough. In the 70's him and George used to hang at Paramahansa Yogananda's Self Realization Fellowship a mile away. Encinitas loves Ravi! RIP. 92 really is a good long life.

I didn't realize or had lost touch with the fact that Ravi lived down your way.

I was just thinking about the fellowship campus there as I rode past on the train last weekend and passed it.

When my folks and I used to drive down to my grandparents' place in Mission Beach in the 50s and 60s (before the freeway) we'd pass the meditation center. My grandparents were very much into yoga and meditation and Parmahansa Yogananda's Autobiography of a Yogi. I have a soft spot for his brand of consciousness raising deyoked from formal, traditional religion. Also, the fact he had long hair meant that my grandmother and grandfather were about the only people in my extended family who didn't give me a hard time about my long hair at the start of the 70s.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Knight
            View Post

May he rest in peace or reach Nirvana and not have to come back as a mosquito or house fly(no joke intended as this could be a possibility within that belief system).

On another note, Encinitas(if it is the one in Southern California) may love Ravi but my memories of that town back in the 70's, it did not love me. I remember Surfing there just a a half mile north of San Elijo State Beach one morning with my friend Vernon and being harassed by some local's to the point of a fight. Not a fond memory but the again that was pretty normal in those day's hopefully Ravi's Karma wore off there(not to say it was that bad of a place, my experience could have been unique).

If you were one of those locals, Vernon is sorry about your lost tooth.

Comment

Surf Nazis.

Comment

One cannot overstate how much of a positive impact Ravi Shankar made on music. R.I.P., and thank you so much for your music.
                Ken Lee on 500px / Ken's Photo Store / Ken Lee Photography Facebook Website / Blueberry Buddha Studios / Ajanta Palace Houseboat - Kashmir / Hotel Green View - Kashmir / Eleven Shadows website / Ken Lee Photography Blog / Akai 12-track tape transfers / MY NEW ALBUM! The Mercury Seven

Comment

One of my 3DW pals found this and posted it on his FB wall, Ravi Shankar Reminisces About John Coltrane:

http://turboverbal.blogspot.com/2009...-john.html?m=1

Comment

: (

Comment

Wow, Ravi and Brubeck lived sort of parallel lives and they passed within a month of each other(like, what a trip man!) I noticed on the news he has a young daughter following in his footsteps on the sitar.

We have a Paramahansa Yogananda's Self Realization Fellowship here in Fullerton about a mile away from my place. Never been in there but its a nice old exotic building. A few years ago I saw a picture of a young Leo Fender wearing a straw hat photographed in front of it after his high school gradution. Not sure what it was back then though.

So long Ravi.
                      War is over if you want it.
                      - John & Yoko -

Nothing fails like success.
                      - Alan Watts - (based on Samsara)

"I'd put my money on the sun and solar energy. What a source of power! I hope we don't have to wait until oil and coal run out before we tackle that."
                      -Thomas Edison, in conversation with Henry Ford and Harvey Firestone, 1931-

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by blue2blue
                        View Post

One of my 3DW pals found this and posted it on his FB wall, Ravi Shankar Reminisces About John Coltrane:

http://turboverbal.blogspot.com/2009...-john.html?m=1

Really cool article of Ravi reminiscing about John Coltrane. BTW, I have met Ravi Coltrane a couple of times briefly, although I knew his brother Oran and his mother Alice much better.
                        Ken Lee on 500px / Ken's Photo Store / Ken Lee Photography Facebook Website / Blueberry Buddha Studios / Ajanta Palace Houseboat - Kashmir / Hotel Green View - Kashmir / Eleven Shadows website / Ken Lee Photography Blog / Akai 12-track tape transfers / MY NEW ALBUM! The Mercury Seven

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Raymar
                          View Post

We have a Paramahansa Yogananda's Self Realization Fellowship here in Fullerton about a mile away from my place. Never been in there but its a nice old exotic building.

We have one here in West Los Angeles as well, and it's a very peaceful place with a lake. There's a lot of meditation classes given there as well, and anyone can walk the grounds.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Raymar
                            View Post

Wow, Ravi and Brubeck lived sort of parallel lives and they passed within a month of each other(like, what a trip man!) I noticed on the news he has a young daughter following in his footsteps on the sitar.

We have a Paramahansa Yogananda's Self Realization Fellowship here in Fullerton about a mile away from my place. Never been in there but its a nice old exotic building. A few years ago I saw a picture of a young Leo Fender wearing a straw hat photographed in front of it after his high school gradution. Not sure what it was back then though.

So long Ravi.

It probably started out as one of their buildings. The one down south is pretty exotic.

Although I thought there was a spiraled dome someplace...

https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.0...12.32,,0,-3.82

I'm wondering if the spiraled dome wasn't in what is now called Swami's Seaside Park... in the wedge shaped section...

https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.0...04823&t=h&z=18

[addendum]

Nah... I just came back from checking Google Images. I'm pretty sure I was simply thinking of this arch...

... not, of course, that there's anything simple about that arch.

Comment

*sigh*

Farewell, and R.I.P., Ravi.

Best,

Geoff
                              Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

Comment

Working...
                              X