New Product: ScoreCleaner

Geoff Grace

• Members

all the big notation programs have already had this feature baked in for awhile.

i'm skeptical that this software would work all that well. there are so many variables for doing this well and this software seems kind of simplistic.

the background music doesn't help

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Goobers View Post
all the big notation programs have already had this feature baked in for awhile.
It's admittedly been awhile since I used a major notation package. I wasn't aware of any notation program that could transcribe tempo and meter from a live, rubato MIDI performance. How long have they had this feature? How well do they implement it?

Best,

Geoff

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Grace View Post
It's admittedly been awhile since I used a major notation package. I wasn't aware of any notation program that could transcribe tempo and meter from a live, rubato MIDI performance. How long have they had this feature? How well do they implement it?

Best,

Geoff
you need to give them a reference - like tapping your foot on a pedal or something to show where the next beat is - but I'm not sure there's any other way.

since there are many correct ways to notate a performance, there's no way for the software to know your intentions, if your beat is a quarter note or half note or eighth note unless you told it. idn_smilie.gif

I guess they implement it OK, but it's not perfect because there are natural ambiguities in notation and how people play.

personally, I don't like inputting music in like that because it's not exact. I prefer to enter music note by note (I can do this pretty fast too).

the software you posted looks like it's geared for entry level, so you can play music and *something* will pop up, like the basic scoring capability of Garageband. But it doesn't look like it competes with Finale or Sibelius and, given the complexity of notation, even those aren't perfect.

• Members

The promise of ScoreCleaner is that you don't have to use a click and it can figure it out anyway. Of course it's no big deal to play to a click, but it is more of a limitation to have to create to one. Sometimes I compose in my head but other times I do it at the piano. It would help my composing process if I could just sit down at a MIDI keyboard and create without a click and then see reasonably good results in creating sheet music from it.

Digital Performer has had the ability to map a tempo to a live, rubato performance for a few years now; but this could be a new step forward in that kind of artificial intelligence. Other than that big feature, I agree

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Grace View Post
The promise of ScoreCleaner is that you don't have to use a click and it can figure it out anyway. Of course it's no big deal to play to a click, but it is more of a limitation to have to create to one. Sometimes I compose in my head but other times I do it at the piano. It would help my composing process if I could just sit down at a MIDI keyboard and create without a click and then see reasonably good results in creating sheet music from it.

Digital Performer has had the ability to map a tempo to a live, rubato performance for a few years now; but this could be a new step forward in that kind of artificial intelligence. Other than that big feature, I agree

Archived