Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP, Dave Brubeck

Dave Brubeck, the coolly intellectual jazzer who put jazz back on the pop charts with "Take Five" in the early 60s, has passed away at 91.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/06/ar...anted=all&_r=0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Brubeck

RIP, Mr Brubeck.

music and social stuff

Oh... no. I saw him and his sons in the 70's. Time Out was the first jazz I listened to at the age of 7 or so. He holds a special place in my musical heart. RIP Mr. Brubeck. I know Desmond is long gone. Brubeck had quite a run...

Comment

91. And he was performing almost to the end.

That's a victory in my book.

music and social stuff

Comment

Just a day short of 92, too. I first saw the Quartet when I was in school (1957 or so) and a couple of times when I was in college. Time Out was the first million selling jazz album.
        --
        "Today's production equipment is IT-based and cannot be operated without a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be operated without a passing knowledge of audio." - John Watkinson, Resolution Magazine, October 2006
        Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then

Comment

My folks used to play his stuff when I was a kid, great to hear he was still playing before he left us.

I have to say, as a kid you usually hate your parents music....Brubeck I always liked, there was a lot else I really did not care for that they played!

As an aside, my father once told me, "You know your getting old when all your contemporaries start dying".......! I'm watching out for that one.
          Member of the SG army
          www.skidmorebandpdx.com

Comment

What a life! He was at the Battle of the Bulge too. Bill Bruford was influenced by Brubeck's drummer the late Joe Morello's odd metered drumming. R.I.P.
            War is over if you want it.
            - John & Yoko -

Nothing fails like success.
            - Alan Watts - (based on Samsara)

"I'd put my money on the sun and solar energy. What a source of power! I hope we don't have to wait until oil and coal run out before we tackle that."
            -Thomas Edison, in conversation with Henry Ford and Harvey Firestone, 1931-

Comment

Keyboard Magazine: Dave Brubeck Interviewed in 2007

RIP, Dave.

Best,

Geoff
              Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

Comment

A true pioneer. I remember playing "Take Five" and "Blue Rondo A La Turk" on the piano and thinking how talented he was. RIP

Comment

Comment

What more can I say, RIP Dave.

Comment

Working...
                    X