Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Posted Two New Marky Covers on My YouTube Channel! But There's a Twist...

Collapse



X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Posted Two New Marky Covers on My YouTube Channel! But There's a Twist...

    Mark suggested I do a cover of his song "My Lucky Day," and I think it's a cool song, so I did. Here it is...read on for the twist.






    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWJEdXHB1cA





    But here's the twist. When I was mixing, I stripped down the tracks to basics to set up the mix...and the song survived just fine with guitar and vocals. So I added a cabasa, took away all the electric instruments and drums, replaced the MIDI synth bass with an acoustic bass sound, turned up the 12-string guitar and tambourine, and added harmonica to create an "unplugged" version. It's just a shade slower than the rock version, but I think it's interesting how the two have such radically different arrangements, yet to quote Led Zeppelin, "the song remains the same" - the songwriting is obviously the most important element, by far. Here's the unplugged version. It's totally out of character for me, but...what the hell. Mark's okay with it






    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tvt6DluvoA





    I threatened Mark with doing a ska version, but that will probably have to wait In fact I'll be "going dark" for a while concerning posting anything new, I have some other projects that need to be completed.
    Simplicity, my new album project, is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

    Subscribe, like, and share the links!

  • #2
    Hey Craig, any chance you can also submit MP3 versions of your good work, for us guys with poor quality wireless network service.

    At least I will be able to hear the songs without the starts and stops all the time.

    Comment


    • #3






      Quote Originally Posted by electrochrisso
      View Post

      Hey Craig, any chance you can also submit MP3 versions of your good work, for us guys with poor quality wireless network service. At least I will be able to hear the songs without the starts and stops all the time.




      Sure...why not? I'll post them in this thread and you can grab them. Do you want all six songs, or just the two most recent ones?



      Also, it just occurred to me - if you wanted WAV files, I could put them on YouSendIt and post a download link. The link expires after a week, but that would give people enough time to grab something better than MP3s.
      Simplicity, my new album project, is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

      Subscribe, like, and share the links!

      Comment


      • #4
        I wonder if Blue will notice I took all the doubling off the voice in the new ones
        Simplicity, my new album project, is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

        Subscribe, like, and share the links!

        Comment


        • #5






          Quote Originally Posted by Anderton
          View Post

          Sure...why not? I'll post them in this thread and you can grab them. Do you want all six songs, or just the two most recent ones?



          Also, it just occurred to me - if you wanted WAV files, I could put them on YouSendIt and post a download link. The link expires after a week, but that would give people enough time to grab something better than MP3s.




          All six please, for me I will be quite happy with MP3, even at 128kbs, I think the WAV will be too big for my current rip-off of $180 for 12GB data charges, unless if they are zipped, and it compresses them down a hell of a lot.

          Thanks for your concern there man.

          Comment


          • #6






            Quote Originally Posted by Anderton
            View Post

            Mark suggested I do a cover of his song "My Lucky Day," and I think it's a cool song, so I did. Here it is...read on for the twist.






            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWJEdXHB1cA





            But here's the twist. When I was mixing, I stripped down the tracks to basics to set up the mix...and the song survived just fine with guitar and vocals. So I added a cabasa, took away all the electric instruments and drums, replaced the MIDI synth bass with an acoustic bass sound, turned up the 12-string guitar and tambourine, and added harmonica to create an "unplugged" version. It's just a shade slower than the rock version, but I think it's interesting how the two have such radically different arrangements, yet to quote Led Zeppelin, "the song remains the same" - the songwriting is obviously the most important element, by far. Here's the unplugged version. It's totally out of character for me, but...what the hell. Mark's okay with it






            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tvt6DluvoA





            I threatened Mark with doing a ska version, but that will probably have to wait In fact I'll be "going dark" for a while concerning posting anything new, I have some other projects that need to be completed.




            I like the acoustic version especially well! Your sincere-sounding, kind of 60s folkpop style vocal sets up the arch lyrics nicely. I like the accordion, harmonica, and especially the acoustic guitar solo. And the lyric-oriented vid worked very well for putting over the clever lyrics. The cuteness of the animations underlined the irony nicely, getting a jaunty vibe that nicely set off the edge in the lyrics.
            .

            music and social links | recent listening

            Comment


            • #7






              Quote Originally Posted by Anderton
              View Post

              Mark suggested I do a cover of his song "My Lucky Day," and I think it's a cool song, so I did. Here it is...read on for the twist.






              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWJEdXHB1cA





              But here's the twist. When I was mixing, I stripped down the tracks to basics to set up the mix...and the song survived just fine with guitar and vocals. So I added a cabasa, took away all the electric instruments and drums, replaced the MIDI synth bass with an acoustic bass sound, turned up the 12-string guitar and tambourine, and added harmonica to create an "unplugged" version. It's just a shade slower than the rock version, but I think it's interesting how the two have such radically different arrangements, yet to quote Led Zeppelin, "the song remains the same" - the songwriting is obviously the most important element, by far. Here's the unplugged version. It's totally out of character for me, but...what the hell. Mark's okay with it






              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tvt6DluvoA





              I threatened Mark with doing a ska version, but that will probably have to wait In fact I'll be "going dark" for a while concerning posting anything new, I have some other projects that need to be completed.




              I like the acoustic version especially well! Your sincere-sounding, kind of 60s folkpop style vocal sets up the arch lyrics nicely. I like the accordion, harmonica, and especially the acoustic guitar solo. And the lyric-oriented vid worked very well for putting over the clever lyrics. The cuteness of the animations underlined the irony nicely, getting a jaunty vibe that nicely set off the edge in the lyrics.
              .

              music and social links | recent listening

              Comment


              • #8






                Quote Originally Posted by blue2blue
                View Post

                I like the accordion, harmonica, and especially the acoustic guitar solo.




                Interesting; there's no accordion in there. The only melodic instruments are 12-string for the rhythm, 6-string for the solo overdub, bells, and harmonica. (And don't tell anyone, but both the acoustic guitars were Variax emulations.)



                But I'm very glad you liked it! It was interesting to do the acoustic variation. One of the reasons why I like Mark's songs is they're pretty indestructible.
                Simplicity, my new album project, is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

                Subscribe, like, and share the links!

                Comment


                • #9
                  I mistook a harmonica for an accordion, then.
                  .

                  music and social links | recent listening

                  Comment


                  • #10






                    Quote Originally Posted by blue2blue
                    View Post

                    I mistook a harmonica for an accordion, then.




                    It's a special high-tech harmonica that can model other instruments (well apparently, at least one other instrument)



                    I'm kind of re-discovering harmonica. It can make some pretty soulful sounds...no wall wart or batteries, either!
                    Simplicity, my new album project, is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

                    Subscribe, like, and share the links!

                    Comment


                    • #11






                      Quote Originally Posted by Anderton
                      View Post

                      It's a special high-tech harmonica that can model other instruments (well apparently, at least one other instrument)



                      I'm kind of re-discovering harmonica. It can make some pretty soulful sounds...no wall wart or batteries, either!




                      Something tells me I should get this, but I'm scratching my head.



                      Huh?





                      As I've done fitfully a few times over the years, I've been trying to come to grips with the harmonica lately. It does not come naturally to me as it appears to do for others. I've owned a number over the years, but the only one I've really bonded with was my current Lee Oskar Major Diatonic -- mostly because the rather pricey harp was relatively easy to get all the notes to sound properly (although it's got a couple of sticky reeds now). It's the first harp I was ever able to get bends on with any sort of consistency.



                      I've been trying to teach myself to play "Shenandoah" -- which is pretty straightforward on a diatonic harp, apparently, but my somewhat profound difficulties remembering/memorizing sequences of either words or physical actions makes that a bit of an uphill battle.
                      .

                      music and social links | recent listening

                      Comment


                      • #12






                        Quote Originally Posted by blue2blue
                        View Post

                        As I've done fitfully a few times over the years, I've been trying to come to grips with the harmonica lately.




                        Are you familiar with the concept of "cross harp"? If not, I'll explain it...it's something that's essential to know if you want to get comfortable with the harmonica. I used cross harp on "When the Grid Goes Down," but am very proud of myself for NOT using it on "My Lucky Day."
                        Simplicity, my new album project, is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

                        Subscribe, like, and share the links!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Me likey
                          smoke - new album
                          the mirror - album
                          storm - album
                          the asylum - forum

                          Comment













                          Working...
                          X