Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mini-Keys on Synths - Do You Take Them Seriously?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini-Keys on Synths - Do You Take Them Seriously?

I have a Novation MiniNova here for review with mini-keys, and of course, Korg has been doing synths with mini-keys for some time; most of the portable/laptop companion keyboards use them too.

I actually don't find them problematic, but I'm not a keyboard player in the sense of having played fine pianos all my life. So I'm wondering - what do y'all think of mini-keys? They're fine? Deal-breakers? Don't care? Do care? Inquiring minds want to know.
    Simplicity, my new album project, is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

I got a Korg MicroSampler and find the size of the keys are good for my fingers, which I suppose would be medium sized. I also get the bonus of being able to easily streach my fingers out to play those hard to get at chords, that I find hard to do with the normal sized keys. After a bit of practice it is also no problems for me to do just as fast lead lines as I can with the normal size board, not that I would be classed as a fast player compared to a pro keyboard player.

I think the deal breaker on these are how they make the instrument ultra light and portable, especially so if they are being carried around a lot.

Comment

I'm a keyboard player with large hands, so as you may guess, I don't like them, and have never owned a keyboard with mini-keys.

If I were using one to play simple stuff, trigger samples, and that kind of thing in either a studio or live setting, I'd use 'em.

For any sort of actual playing, no way.
      Ken Lee on 500px / Ken's Photo Store / Ken Lee Photography Facebook Website / Blueberry Buddha Studios / Ajanta Palace Houseboat - Kashmir / Hotel Green View - Kashmir / Eleven Shadows website / Ken Lee Photography Blog / Akai 12-track tape transfers / MY NEW ALBUM! The Mercury Seven

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Anderton
        View Post

I have a Novation MiniNova here for review with mini-keys, and of course, Korg has been doing synths with mini-keys for some time; most of the portable/laptop companion keyboards use them too.

I actually don't find them problematic, but I'm not a keyboard player in the sense of having played fine pianos all my life. So I'm wondering - what do y'all think of mini-keys? They're fine? Deal-breakers? Don't care? Do care? Inquiring minds want to know.

Don`t use them. Wouldn`t touch one either. Reminds me of a toy.

Comment

I
          <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

“Music is well said to be the speech of angels... nothing among the utterances allowed to man is felt to be so divine."

~Thomas Carlyle

Comment

I have a Micro Korg . It is great for me , but I mostly trigger arpeggios.

Dan
            http://musicinit.com/fastfingers.php An Experiment in 80's Technology

http://youtube.com/techristian My YOUTUBE channel
            Music videos at http://musicinit.com/video.php

Comment

I've been a keyboard player for many years and I wouldn't consider buying a synth with mini-keys, I just don't enjoy the feel of them. It probably has something to do with muscle memory developed from years of playing a full sized keyboard that doesn't translate to mini-keys. Mini-keys are best for non-keyboard players who want to input notes into a program like Ableton Live as they're building tracks/loops, or for doing very simple things live.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by techristian
                View Post

I have a Micro Korg . It is great for me , but I mostly trigger arpeggios.

Dan

Those are fun. I played that for a couple of gigs because my main keyboard was in the shop, and it was fun. We used it for some analog type sweeps, and I played some keyboard parts. Not something I would want to do on a regular basis, but a really fun keyboard.
                Ken Lee on 500px / Ken's Photo Store / Ken Lee Photography Facebook Website / Blueberry Buddha Studios / Ajanta Palace Houseboat - Kashmir / Hotel Green View - Kashmir / Eleven Shadows website / Ken Lee Photography Blog / Akai 12-track tape transfers / MY NEW ALBUM! The Mercury Seven

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Ed A.
                  View Post

I've been a keyboard player for many years and I wouldn't consider buying a synth with mini-keys, I just don't enjoy the feel of them. It probably has something to do with muscle memory developed from years of playing a full sized keyboard that doesn't translate to mini-keys. Mini-keys are best for non-keyboard players who want to input notes into a program like Ableton Live as they're building tracks/loops, or for doing very simple things live.

I think you hit the nail on the head for me Ed, (pardon the pun), I can only play keyboard with my right hand, I have never been able to sync both hands, not that it matters for me when creating multi-track music, do the bass with right hand, do the lead with right hand, I suppose it depends on the type of sound the keyboard produces, like the MicroSampler is really an overblown loopstation with one major benefit of being able to use the mini keyboard to do some real interesting octave looping stuff, I think that is a real boon, especially when playing along with guitar, the audio possibilities seem endless to me, well I am in with my mini keyed little beast.

Comment

mini-keys = toy

would not.
                    I will be banned soon, so don't get too attached.

Comment

Although I'm primarily a guitar/bass/vocal/sax guy with larger than average hands, I actually like mini keys. I'd like to have something smaller than my regular keyboard just for recording the simple key parts I play. That said, I spent many years playing a mini Casio and then a CZ-101 so maybe I just got used to them. I've never played keys live except the token two or three songs a night so this is coming from a guitarist who has done a boat load of sequencing midi parts over the years.
                      -David

(the artist formally known as DC before the move to HC)

Comment

25 years ago when I was living in Italy for a year I took a CZ-101 (because I couldn't really lug around anything bigger). It didn't take me too long to adapt to the spacing, but when I was back home in my studio I always used a MIDI controller with full size keys (as I now do with my MicroKorg).

Comment

I read the post, sorta ignoring the subject header.

So no, I don't take a keyboard seriously if I see mini-keys on 'em. I'm not saying that they can't be useful or fun at all, just that I don't take them seriously.

Comment

It's all a matter of personal preference, but for me there is no option but 88 weighted keys with AT......
                            Originally Posted by co&cafan808

chevybusa ****************in delivers the lulz!!!

Using and abusing Reason 4.0 (with tons of ReFills) and Logic 9 (with tons of soft synths, VSTi's and plug-ins)
                            via
                            a Yamaha S80 (with 2 FC7's, an FC5, an FC3, and a BC3a) and a Behringer BCR2000
                            on
                            a 4GB 2.53GHz Intel Core Duo Mac Mini
                            with
                            AKG K77 headphones or M-Audio BX5a Deluxe monitors.

Originally Posted by OldGuitarPlayer

Ahhh...John Cage. The ultimate troll.

Originally Posted by Anderton

Just remember...machines don't kill music, people do.

Comment

Just bought an inexpensive M-AUDIO 88-key MIDI generator. Full-size keys. I don't think I would like mini-keys... I'd be liable to make mistakes, inasmuch as my brain is trained to play regular size keys. Alas, the new keyboard has "springy" (not weighted, but not quite organy either) keys.
                              Every paint-stroke takes you farther and farther away from your initial concept. And you have to be thankful for that. Wayne Thiebaud

Friend me on FACEBOOK!

Comment

Working...
                              X