Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apple Sucks1

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse







X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Apple Sucks1

    I bought an iPOD at the end of 2010. I was not aware at the time that Apple would abandon loyal customers. There is no reason other than greed for them to not backwards support my ipod touch. They would not allow Digitech to update the Stomp Shop app for the iStomp guitar pedal that I recently purchased unless it was 4.3 or greater. Why? In order to force us to buy another $300 iPod touch even though the old one works fine. That's why. I doubt if there is any electronic limitation that prevents them from allowing me to upgrade to 4.3. This is unacceptable.



    Digitech decided to make 12 of the pedal sounds free instead of 2 as they first introduced it less than a year ago. They could not change the price ($10 each) on the old app version which is compatable with my iPod. They had to upgrade to do it and therefore locked me out of any changes they make to their product. They say apple won't let them upgrade for anything less than iOS 4.3. Instead of getting them free, I have to pay $100 to download the pedal samples. They would be free if Apple would let me upgrade my iPod Touch to 4.3. What is stopping them? This is bad business. I have had 15 Mac computers since 1985, including the iMac Quad core intel I am using to key this post. Unless they make it possible to support slightly older hardware like mine, I refuse to buy another Apple product ever again. Shame on Apple for making me waste my money on a now limited device.



    WARNING!! To all guitarists that want to get the iStomp pedal for their pedalboard. If you have an Apple iPod touch that runs on less than 4.3, you will not be able to download any of the pedals from your iPod. You have to have a relatively new iPod.
    Kenny Begun
    www.begunaudio.com
    www.kbgunn.com

  • #2
    You should see what companies who created hardware that plugged into the 30-pin connector are saying about the "Lightning" connector.



    Granted, the old connector has features that no one uses any more, and never will. So what? So there are some unused pins.
    _____________________________________________
    There are now 14 music videos posted on my YouTube channel, including four songs by Mark Longworth. Watch the music video playlist, subscribe, and spread the links! Check back often, because there's more to come...

    Comment


    • #3
      Apple has been an early adopter and early abandoner of technology ever since Steve Jobs returned and dropped the floppy 15 years ago. This approach has its pluses and minuses, but it's a well known aspect of Apple as a company. Love it or hate it, it's probably helpful to consider this before you buy.



      Best,



      Geoff
      Enthusiasm powers the world.

      Comment


      • #4
        ...and it cuts both ways. Microsoft's attention to backward compatibility and legacy support is commendable and important to many, but also limiting.
        _____________________________________________
        There are now 14 music videos posted on my YouTube channel, including four songs by Mark Longworth. Watch the music video playlist, subscribe, and spread the links! Check back often, because there's more to come...

        Comment


        • #5
          Yep - I left Apple around 1982, after shelling out $1400 for an Apple IIe, only to find they stopped all support for it a month later. I don't forget nor forgive, ever, when I get screwed over. Apple will never see another dime from me.

          Comment


          • #6
            ... at least you didn't buy a Zune.



            ;-)
            <div class="signaturecontainer">Tim O'Brien</div>

            Comment


            • #7
              Well, I have an Android tablet and I can't find any useful audio applications for it. I've been told from a few different sources and from asking the question "Why not?" in different ways that the problem is that because there are several manufacturers, you can't guarantee that your app will work on all of them. I'm testing the Audio Control SPL meter app now and, because of where the audio (at least on this tablet) comes out of the application development software kit, it's pretty much useless. The audio is compressed (dynamic range, not data loss) before it goes to the app. Calibrate it at one SPL and and lower levels will read high and higher levels will read low. This is from an honest company who knows how to make audio measurements, so it must work right on some Android device. But like anything else based on a computer, you can't test it on everything.



              I should have traded the tablet in on an iPad or iPod Touch when it was new. At least if an app was tested on one iOS device, it will work on any other one at least of the same model and OS version.
              --
              "Today's production equipment is IT-based and cannot be operated without a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be operated without a passing knowledge of audio." - John Watkinson, Resolution Magazine, October 2006
              Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then

              Comment


              • #8






                Quote Originally Posted by Anderton
                View Post

                ...and it cuts both ways. Microsoft's attention to backward compatibility and legacy support is commendable and important to many, but also limiting.










                Quote Originally Posted by TimOBrien
                View Post

                ... at least you didn't buy a Zune.



                ;-)




                And, of course, with the board demanding the Apple-ification of MS, that once-fabled MS legacy support is disappearing fast.



                They are desperate that Windows 8 not be Vista all over again -- and they're doing most everything they can to prevent the 'deification' of Win 7, parallel to that of XP -- the beloved OS that still runs 40% of the world's computers. But as Windows versions now begin proliferating more rapidly -- ginning up ancillary sales, they hope, and churning the hardware market, they and the builder community hope, the ability of third party software vendors to support them all properly is being eroded.



                And you can see that in the products of over-reaching companies like Adobe, who bought Macromedia in order to acquire Flash -- and then has proceeded to mismanage and hobble that franchise with buggy releases and ongoing security nightmares. For most of the last year, millions of Flash users on XP have had big problems negotiating the various buggy Flash versions... complicated by the fact that popular browser Chrome tends to use an older Flash build that is all but 'hard-wired' into the browser. So, for the first half of this year, for many the then-current version of Flash running in Firefox would frequently crash, hang up, video and audio would stutter, and audio sounded 'underwater.' Finally, a less buggy version of Flash was released, Firefox with Flash became somewhat usable again -- but now Chrome has been 'updated' to the buggy version. (Google deserves plenty of blame here, of course, if for no other reason than building (often) non-current versions of Flash into Chrome.) And worse, running Flash content (even passive background ads which are EVERYWHERE on the net) in one browser seems to at times interfere with the other browser.



                All this used to work great.


                music and social stuff | The Forgotify Files | A Year of Songs | mutant pop on facebook | roots acoustic on facebook


                The chorus seems a little weak... I think it needs more lasers.

                Comment


                • #9
                  But we digress.......



                  The whole point of this is Digitech has a real problem on their hands with the iStomp. By teaming up with Apple and their refusal to support legacy products, they now have a stomp box that will not allow many users to stay up to date. I bought the iStomp early this summer. I am just getting into using it and was so excited to find out that they added 10 free sims to the original 2 that can be downloaded for free. When I tried, I was blocked from downloading the update. It seems to me that Digitech could easily just change the price from $10 to $0 for the ten new free sims in the older app version. However, the way I understand it is that Apple will only let them upgrade to change things and they are not allowed to support earlier iOS. My 2 year old iPod touch is now obsolete. Yeah, I know about Moore's Law, but still if the thing is fully functional, why abandon it? Apple has lost me as a customer if they will not fix this situation. I have never had this happen in the 27 years I have used apple products.



                  At least if a guitarist buys an iStomp now and finds he can't download the Stomp Shop app to his 2nd generation iPod Touch, he has 30 days to return the iStomp due to incompatibility. I however am SOL!!!
                  Kenny Begun
                  www.begunaudio.com
                  www.kbgunn.com

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Wow, 27 years and 15 computers to realize you're being shafted. I pity the kids getting on the iTrain now... there's a world of waste ahead for them.







                    Quote Originally Posted by KB Gunn
                    View Post

                    It seems to me that Digitech could easily just change the price from $10 to $0 for the ten new free sims in the older app version.




                    It is not in Apple's interests to allow that - they didn't get rich making 30% of $0. The joys of a closed system...

                    Comment


                    • #11






                      Quote Originally Posted by Anderton
                      View Post

                      Granted, the old connector has features that no one uses any more, and never will. So what? So there are some unused pins.




                      Ahem... MIDI?
                      www.guslozada.com

                      Comment


                      • #12






                        Quote Originally Posted by Gus Lozada
                        View Post

                        Ahem... MIDI?




                        Not sure I get your point...if it's that Lightning accommodates MIDI but the 30-pin didn't (I have no idea, I'm just guessing) then you could use something unused (like the 30-pin parallel printer port pins) for MIDI. That way the connector would still be physically compatible, even if the data stream isn't in one or two small respects.



                        As to companies like DigiTech relying on Apple, they're having a hard time getting the hardware needed to let the iPB-10 work with the latest iPad and had to come up with a mod.
                        _____________________________________________
                        There are now 14 music videos posted on my YouTube channel, including four songs by Mark Longworth. Watch the music video playlist, subscribe, and spread the links! Check back often, because there's more to come...

                        Comment


                        • #13






                          Quote Originally Posted by KB Gunn
                          View Post

                          But we digress.......



                          The whole point of this is Digitech has a real problem on their hands with the iStomp.




                          Both Digitech and their customers have a problem. When you sell (or buy) a piece of tech that depends in a very fundamental way on another piece of tech designed and manufactured by a separated corporate entity, then *someone* ought to be damned sure that one of the following holds true:



                          a) there are guarantees (for what that's worth from a corporation...) that there will be guaranteed compatibility for some specified duration

                          b) that you - as a consumer - are willing to freeze your tech at whatever revision works at the time of purchase

                          c) that you - as a consumer - are willing to write off the "loss" when your two chunks of codependent tech become incompatible



                          Unfortunately, (a) will never happen. That leaves it up to you - the consumer - to anticipate this kind of problem before it happens. Caveat emptor, indeed...



                          It's not just Digitech that has this problem. There are a bunch of lemmings - er, manufacturers... - jumping on the "new MI gear must integrate with iOS" bandwagon. I think this is ill-advised.
                          <div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;There is no best in music.&quot;<br />
                          -- Neil Young, 1987<br />
                          <br />
                          <a href="http://lamkins-guitar.com/" target="_blank">My music pages</a></div>

                          Comment


                          • #14






                            Quote Originally Posted by TieDyedDevil
                            View Post

                            It's not just Digitech that has this problem. There are a bunch of lemmings - er, manufacturers... - jumping on the "new MI gear must integrate with iOS" bandwagon. I think this is ill-advised.




                            I wonder if a company the size of Yamaha or Roland could create an Android-based tablet designed specifically for the music industry.
                            _____________________________________________
                            There are now 14 music videos posted on my YouTube channel, including four songs by Mark Longworth. Watch the music video playlist, subscribe, and spread the links! Check back often, because there's more to come...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I think Gus was referring to the 3 unused pins of a MIDI DIN connector. That was my take, anyway.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X