Please post an interesting video-clip

Mark L

• Members

Here is a video of a stroll through the Iowa State Fairgrounds.

It's one twenty two minute continuous shot so it's probably too long for most people to watch all the way through but some interesting things happen along the way.

I composed all of the music.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by MarkydeSad View Post
Please DO NOT post a non-interesting video-clip

Anyone who posts a non-interesting video-clip will be thrown into the fire, where there will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth

Commence
Interest is in the mind of the perceiver.

If he's not interested in this, throw him in the fire.

Me, I'm fascinated.

As I am by all my creative efforts.

A somber instrumental improvisation for right hand using a strings-and-winds sample patch, recorded yesterday afternoon...

[fixed some audio issues]

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by mcmike100 View Post
I'm not sure about interesting, but it sure is informative.

Beat me daddy, 6 to the bar?

Quote Originally Posted by Bookumdano2 View Post
I liked the first half.

Quote Originally Posted by JVGM-music View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg1EdFqZ_0U

Interesting because of the dancing bartender, and i use the word dancing in the broadest sense of the word...
I didn't make it to the bartender but I have to say that the music/picture coherence here is roughly the same as the second half of the HB bassist vid from Bookumdano. wink.gif Sharp suit though.

OK... I went back and finished the Italian one. On fresh consideration, it's the best music vid. Ever. And, yeah, the dancing bar man is great.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Folder View Post
Here is a video of a stroll through the Iowa State Fairgrounds.

It's one twenty two minute continuous shot so it's probably too long for most people to watch all the way through but some interesting things happen along the way.

I composed all of the music.

No livestock on the sidewalk.

It's how I always knew it would be. Exactly.

But then, I think I have some insight, as I've lived in Iowa-by-the-Sea for over 40 years.

I'm about 6 minutes into this... I'm watching it in installments, like Berlin Alexanderplatz.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by MrKnobs View Post
Or, you could tune the guitar AFTER putting the capo on. idn_smilie.gif

Terry D.
My practice, based on decades of capo use is, tune first. Tuning with the capo clamped on tends to stretch and wreck strings and can tear up the rubber foot. Of course, even after carefully putting on a capo, you may need to make some minor tweaks, but the smaller the tweak, the less the wear and tear on strings. I hate unevenly stretched strings because they make getting a given guitar in its optimal tuning impossible. I'm a capo baby, so I'm used to these issues.

Speaking of capos... one of these days I'm gonna buy a Spyder Capo. Or two.

I've never watched that JT vid on tuning before, but I've seen the chart of his adjustments. And set up a guitar with it. (No joy working from his particular values.) There's no question that the inharmonicity of strings -- particularly metal strings-- makes for tuning difficulties. This inharmonicity leads higher overtones of a given string to right sharp of what we would expect from pure Pythagorean calculation and is the root problem that, for instance, stretch tunings (particularly on pianos) attempt to address. (The Buzz Feiten System appears to be a similar, if somewhat quirky attempt to address the issue, though their own explanations over the years have seemed to leave much room for better elucidation. And a half. Still, lots of folks swear by the system.)

One thing, I'm a bit surprised that he tuned from the top down. But, I guess, if you're JT, you can afford a guitar that doesn't shift tuning as tension changes on the big strings. Me, I go bottom to top, twice. Once to rough everything in, and then again to fine tune.

And, for the most part, I've found that guitar is designed to be a 12 Tone Equal Tempered instrument and, as a general rule, while tweaks might help in some circumstances (certainly no guitar is perfect), in general, the standard ET values are a solid starting place.

Another thing I do, since my regular player is very resonant, I tune with the tuner with all strings but the one I'm tuning.

And there's another technique I've found that has probably been the single biggest change in my tuning practice in forty years outside the introduction of electronic tuning into my life in the late 80s (I was extremely cynical about them since I'd engineered a seemingly nearly endless procession of bands that all depended on tuners but never were in tune... I quickly saw that a good tuner was more an aid than the be-all and end all).

After decades of various tuning tricks and techniques, I finally realized the stopped relative tuning that most of us probably first learned (fret the bottom E on the 5th fret and tune the A to it, etc) is actually very valuable -- in part because of the relative inharmonicity of different strings. But it can be hard to do if you let the reference tone ring while you're tuning up the target string, because the resulting sliding beat tones can start up a bunch of different resonances in the guitar making a very small but very significant harmonic cacophony.

So now what I do is play the reference tone at the appropriate fret and then kill the tone, while 'remembering' the pitch in my aural memory. (Aural memory, or whatever they call it now, is a bit of what we could think of as cache memory that the brain uses for chewing over and reinterpreting recently heard sounds. With work, you can develop it to aid you in tuning.)

With the reference tone in memory and not creating other resonances in the guitar, it becomes much easier (for me, anyhow) to quickly tune the target string to the remembered pitch. Sure, sometimes I go through that a couple times but it's much easier and quicker for me. Now, obviously, you have to have some relative quiet, so it's of limited value when tuning for gigs and such.

Speaking of inharmonicity of strings -- some tuners (like the free/pay gStrings Android tuner app) have 'harmonic product spectdrum' analysis (adjustable for F0 +1st of F0 + 1st + 2nd).

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by blue2blue View Post
Interest is in the mind of the perceiver.

If he's not interested in this, throw him in the fire.

Me, I'm fascinated.

As I am by all my creative efforts.

A somber instrumental improvisation for right hand using a strings-and-winds sample patch, recorded yesterday afternoon...

[fixed some audio issues]
That would be great as incidental music in a film cool.gif

Archived