Want to allow listeners to hear a song or two via a live broadcast of recorded tracks

LiveMusic

• Members

How can I do this? Kind of like a telephone conference call, except decent quality audio. Some kind of web linkup where a few people could join me and then I play a couple of recorded tracks. I've participated in something like this for a business presentation where the moderator was playing mp3's from her computer before the speaker did his presentation. The mp3 playing was just okay, not exactly high quality. Anything out there for this? I don't want to upload the tracks to soundcloud or send them mp3's via email.

EDIT: I am talking about web-based app for listeners with high-speed internet. I mean, I don't know what else it would be.

• Members

In the old (pre-satelite) days, radio stations used to equalize telephone lines for a more or less flat response for live musical broadcasts. There are limits to what you can do with them, but great improvements are possible. However you need specialized gear that is designed to connect directly to land lines to do this legally - I forget the term used for them...

Maybe you could be more specific about what equipment you'll have - a phone? a PC? with or without a wideband connection?

If it's a phone system, the musical sound quality is guaranteed to be sub-par. If it's a web page, there are already apps for that...

• Moderators

In (nearly) real time? You need to use a stream. Download winamp and the shoutcast plugin, then pay a small amount to a stream provider like the one I use HERE. You can even dual stream or triple stream so that musicians can collaborate from afar in (nearly) real time.

You can send 320 kbps MP3 Stereo and various AAC+ rates, pretty high fidelity. Not expensive at all.

Terry D.

Archived