Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Software Program is Not a DAW

I just had to get this off of my chest before the world ended. I
    "Everybody loves you when you're six foot in the ground."
    ~John Lennon

So I guess the Zoom R8 is a DAW. Actually, that makes sense.
    There are now 14 music videos posted on my YouTube channel, including four songs by Mark Longworth. Watch the music video playlist, subscribe, and spread the links! Check back often, because there's more to come...

Comment

I try to remember to write "DAW program" when I'm talking about the software. It would be stellar if everyone else did, too, but you know hw qik ppl r 2 tak shrtcts W lingo.
      --
      "Today's production equipment is IT-based and cannot be operated without a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be operated without a passing knowledge of audio." - John Watkinson, Resolution Magazine, October 2006
      Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then

Comment

Saying "DAW' as if it's a word sounds dumb: "Daahhhhhhhwww"

And saying it letter by letter also sounds kind of dumb, it just doesn't flow: "D.A.W."

there's really no easy answer.

someone should come up with a better word.
        I will be banned soon, so don't get too attached.

Comment

I remember being confused by this when I first got into computer based recording a decade or so ago. I'd see Cakewalk Home Studio referred to as a Digital Audio Workstation. But wait, does that mean I get a computer, I/O device, etc., with it?? Er, uh, no it's just software. Eventually I figured out that I was correct, and after buying the computer, I/O device (mixer), monitor speakers and control surface PLUS the "DAW" software, I actually had a Digital Audio Workstation.

Eventually I got used to the term, but it's always seemed misleading to me.
          http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=742896
          http://www.volunteersband.com

Comment

A Mac is a hamburger that only comes in only one size, too.

One generation plants the trees,
            The other feels the shade.

...Otis Gibbs

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Beck
              View Post

I just had to get this off of my chest before the world ended. I

music and social stuff

Comment

Unfortunately you can't the change bad nomenclature. Your are correct but as communicated in our ever changing Interwebs world that label has taken hold for software(even if the world ends tomorrow).

Here I go with a common cliche/analogy "you can't put that Genie back into the bottle".

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Goobers
                  View Post

Saying "DAW' as if it's a word sounds dumb: "Daahhhhhhhwww"

And saying it letter by letter also sounds kind of dumb, it just doesn't flow: "D.A.W."

there's really no easy answer.

someone should come up with a better word.

Most of my 3DW friends are musicians. You get used to the sound of it.

music and social stuff

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Anderton
                    View Post

So I guess the Zoom R8 is a DAW. Actually, that makes sense.

Yes, it actually is... and so was the Synclavier. If we can't get our nomenclature right we're doomed... doomed I tell ya!

And here's another one... ADAT: Alesis Digital Audio Tape. But who remembers stuff like that? I mean now people think of the ADAT HD24 or the ADAT optical interface. But to say ADAT HD24 without using the abbreviation it would be "Alesis Digital Audio Tape Hard Disk Recorder." But that makes no sense! Alesis clearly wanted to capitalize on the name recognition of ADAT even though it makes no sense whatsoever. So many wrongs to right before the world ends... so little time!
                    "Everybody loves you when you're six foot in the ground."
                    ~John Lennon

Comment

View Post

DAW: Digital Audio Workstation

A PC-based DAW includes the computer, digital audio interface, perhaps a control surface and any software used with it. Everything together is a DAW. Any one part by itself is not a DAW.

I actually know that, but use "DAW" to refer to software fairly regularly anyway. Or maybe I'm just done in by marketing or wrong usage. I don't know.

I do lots of other things wrong, too, but I'm hoping that people don't look that closely.
                      Ken Lee on 500px / Ken's Photo Store / Ken Lee Photography Facebook Website / Blueberry Buddha Studios / Ajanta Palace Houseboat - Kashmir / Hotel Green View - Kashmir / Eleven Shadows website / Ken Lee Photography Blog / Akai 12-track tape transfers / MY NEW ALBUM! The Mercury Seven

Comment

View Post

If we can't get our nomenclature right we're doomed... doomed I tell ya!

Oh no...Mayan calendar language police!!

And here's another one... ADAT: Alesis Digital Audio Tape. But who remembers stuff like that? I mean now people think of the ADAT HD24 or the ADAT optical interface. But to say ADAT HD24 without using the abbreviation it would be "Alesis Digital Audio Tape Hard Disk Recorder." But that makes no sense!

Or my personal favorite, "MIDI Interface" - which translates as "Musical Instrument Digital Interface interface." Or how about "LCD display?" I'm sure we all enjoy our Liquid Crystal Display displays.

All of this is brought to you courtesy of the Department of Redundancy Department.
                        There are now 14 music videos posted on my YouTube channel, including four songs by Mark Longworth. Watch the music video playlist, subscribe, and spread the links! Check back often, because there's more to come...

Comment

I thought it's just called a "Pro Tools."
                          Elson TrinidadSinger, Songwriter, Keyboardist, BassistElson and the Soul BarkadaWeb: www.elsongs.comMySpace: www.myspace.com/elsongsFacebook: Facebook PageTwitter: twitter.com/elsongs

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by elsongs
                            View Post

I thought it's just called a "Pro Tools."

Or Pro sTools.
                            Ken Lee on 500px / Ken's Photo Store / Ken Lee Photography Facebook Website / Blueberry Buddha Studios / Ajanta Palace Houseboat - Kashmir / Hotel Green View - Kashmir / Eleven Shadows website / Ken Lee Photography Blog / Akai 12-track tape transfers / MY NEW ALBUM! The Mercury Seven

Comment

Beck, so this is what keeps you up at night?

Comment

Working...
                              X