Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

I VI IV - Over Two Beats. Where Else Has It Happened?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually, if I never had to hear the clumsy and obvious tuning on her voice that we became accustomed to in the Nashville pop era of her career again -- and if she hadn't won a Grammy for female Country Vocalist of the Year, celebrated on awards night by one of the most ear-shredding, tuneless TV vocal performances since Roseanne Barr decided to mangle the "Star Spangled Banner" -- I'd be a lot more inclined to forgive and forget.

FWIW, music intended for teenyboppers of either sex has almost never appealed to me. I didn't like 1910 Fruitgum Company, David Cassidy, the Archies, Ohio Express, the Partridge Family, etc, then. But I find this big budget, high gloss paean to tweaker trash culture somewhat more disturbing. At least most of those earlier teen-products were designed to project a wholesome image. I'm not sure how I'd feel if my teen daughter wanted to hang around with a style-challenged mutt like the dude in the vid.

music and social links | recent listening

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by blue2blue
      View Post

I'm not sure how I'd feel if my teen daughter wanted to hang around with a style-challenged mutt like the dude in the vid.

Oh... you get used to that!

Comment

Maybe I'd rise to the job but I don't think I have what it takes. Every guy she went out with who reminded me of me at that age would be chased down the block with a sawed off...

Comment

View Post

FWIW, music intended for teenyboppers of either sex has almost never appealed to me. I didn't like 1910 Fruitgum Company, David Cassidy, the Archies, Ohio Express, the Partridge Family, etc, then. But I find this big budget, high gloss paean to tweaker trash culture somewhat more disturbing

I haven't really heard a lot of her music but I saw a feature with Taylor Swift on 60 minutes a few years ago and I have to say I was truly impressed by her songwriting ability especially at such a young age. I think she was still a teenager and had already written several hit records.

I think most of today's teenybopper music is just manufactured musical image product. I imagine Katy Perry, Britney Spears and the like just showing up to sing over some hot shot producers pre-programed tracks and having very little say in the final product. I got the impression that Taylor Swift was pretty involved in the making of her music.

Comment

View Post

FWIW, music intended for teenyboppers of either sex has almost never appealed to me. I didn't like 1910 Fruitgum Company, David Cassidy, the Archies, Ohio Express, the Partridge Family, etc, then.

Oh come on blue2blue you had to like some teeny bopper music as a child didn't you?

When I was a kid I just loved the Banana Splits.

I remember collecting Kelloggs cereal box tops and sending them in to order their records. I still remember the anticipation of waiting for what must have been at least a month before I received two yellow 45s with four songs on each. Man I loved those records and would play them everyday when I got home from school.

I guess you could say the Banana Splits were one of my first influences musically.

When I saw them on TV I knew that was what I wanted to do when I grew up.

This was my favorite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOB4tdabgoA

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Folder
              View Post

Oh come on blue2blue you had to like some teeny bopper music as a child didn't you?

When I was a kid I just loved the Banana Splits.

I remember collecting Kelloggs cereal box tops and sending them in to order their records. I still remember the anticipation of waiting for what must have been at least a month before I received two yellow 45s with four songs on each. Man I loved those records and would play them everyday when I got home from school.

I guess you could say the Banana Splits were one of my first influences musically.

When I saw them on TV I knew that was what I wanted to do when I grew up.

This was my favorite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOB4tdabgoA

Well, there was this little, yellow, plastic 78 rpm of "Mairsy Doats" that used to drive my folks nuts...

ADDENDUM: And I should hasten to say that even though I listened to some cool music in my middle school/early high school years (jazz, boss, folk), I also listened to stuff that was pretty universally accepted as lame. Dude, I owned a Mantovani album. That was even too square for my folks. There was just this period when I was fascinated by the sound of string ensembles, what can I say. And Mantovani had, you know,, that glistening thing pretty good as I recall. But it's... uh... been a while.

Comment

Working...
              X