YouTube kills billions of video views faked by major record labels...

blue2blue

• Members

OK.

I know I've got something of a reputation for being cynical about the music biz.

But it's stuff like this that really gets me going.

I've been ranting about the issue of faked 'viral videos' and other 'guerrilla' marketing cheats from record labels (not just the bigs), promoters, and others for a while now. And it's seemed to me that those rants have often met with a certain skepticism. (OK, they are rants. wink.gif )

But even I didn't realize how big this phenom is.

Google/YouTube nailed a bunch of labels -- but none so hard as Sony/BMG.

Out of 850 million video views on Sony's label channel, YouTube removed over 847 million.

That's over 99.6% of Sony/BMG video views removed for being faked.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/youtube-...l#xtor=RSS-980

• CMS Author

How would they do this? The link you posted mentioned the Fiverr service which apparently is a marketplace for skills and services. Do they go on there and say "Make money by watching our YouTube videos" and they get millions of views from people who don't care what they're watching? (I thought that was a pretty good description of nearly all YouTube viewers anyway) Or are they using Fiverr to find people to hack the YouTube servers and actually change the number of views without there actually being a corresponding view?

• CMS Author

How would they do this? The link you posted mentioned the Fiverr service which apparently is a marketplace for skills and services. Do they go on there and say "Make money by watching our YouTube videos" and they get millions of views from people who don't care what they're watching? (I thought that was a pretty good description of nearly all YouTube viewers anyway) Or are they using Fiverr to find people to hack the YouTube servers and actually change the number of views without there actually being a corresponding view?

Archived