FORUM ALWAYS SLOW!!!!

median

• Members

Why is this forum always so excruciatingly SLOW????? Every page takes forever to load. Every forum post attempt takes forever to "go"/update. I am a member of 5 different forums and have no other problems. What is going one with this site?? This problem has been going on for well over a year. I don't get it.

Can someone please fix this! What is wrong??

mad.gif

p.s. - Why can't I post to the "User Complaints" section? Every time I tried to post there, nothing shows up.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by median View Post
Can someone please fix this! What is wrong??

mad.gif
If I knew what was wrong, I'd fix it. If the people I'm reporting these problems to knew how to fix it, they probably would.

A solution is on the way but I'm not sure when it will happen. Meanwhile, things suck.

A major problem is when we get these gigantic spam attacks where we're bombarded with so many posts it ends up being essentially a denial of service attack. When we're able to locate and block the ISPs, matters improve but the spambots essentially overwhelm our ability to deal with them, due to very limited staffing and IT resources.

Also, although I spend a lot of time deleting spam and blocking ISPs, doing so slows down the system during the time those admin actions are occurring. So it's a catch-22 - to speed things up, the system has to slow down facepalm.gif

Yes, it sucks.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Anderton View Post
If I knew what was wrong, I'd fix it. If the people I'm reporting these problems to knew how to fix it, they probably would.

A solution is on the way but I'm not sure when it will happen. Meanwhile, things suck.

A major problem is when we get these gigantic spam attacks where we're bombarded with so many posts it ends up being essentially a denial of service attack. When we're able to locate and block the ISPs, matters improve but the spambots essentially overwhelm our ability to deal with them, due to very limited staffing and IT resources.

Also, although I spend a lot of time deleting spam and blocking ISPs, doing so slows down the system during the time those admin actions are occurring. So it's a catch-22 - to speed things up, the system has to slow down facepalm.gif

Yes, it sucks.
Isn't there a V-Bulletin solution to block spammers from posting? Or perhaps there is a software company that made a solution to this problem? There must be a way!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by median View Post
Isn't there a V-Bulletin solution to block spammers from posting?
Yes, and I've blocked about 50 IP addresses already today. My next task is to take this thimble and drain a lake smile.gif

There is a solution, and it involves having forums hosted by a company that works with lots of web sites, and therefore has the data and resources to block spam IPs before the spammers start hitting the site. (If I've blocked an IP address, that only prevents that spammer from using that particular address in the future, but didn't prevent the spam from attacking us in the first place.) We don't have those resources, but we are working with a company that does so that we can implement a solution.

• Members

I remember I started a Vbulletin forum on one of my websites, I was pulling my hair out every login with the barrage of spam attacks from Russia, India, Pakistan and all points in between with usernames a mile long like "ZDTRYGhEbhuu!_12_DRFHJK".

Of course I had no hair to start with so I really couldn't blame that on those over industrious and obnoxious spammers, but it did force me to take the board down.

I DEFINITELY understand.mad.gif

Archived