If Santa brought you a gift what it would be?

temnov

• CMS Author

Not directly for me, but I'd like Santa to give the Android developers better access to audio on their mobile digital devices so we could all have more useful audio apps which would promote peace on earth and good will to all things not Apple.

And don't get me wrong - I don't hate Apple, it's just that nobody ever gave me one of their mobile digital devices.

• Members

Well, if I have to ask for it... it's just not the same.

That said, I wouldn't mind finding a personal assistant in my Christmas stocking, a la 'Natalie' on the recently departed Monk detective-with-OCD series. Note, that's 'Natalie' -- not the brassy, New Jersey-raised nurse-turned p.a. Sharona who started the series. I liked her, but she stuck up for herself too much... I need docile and acquiescent.

As long as I'm askin'...

Quote Originally Posted by MikeRivers View Post
Not directly for me, but I'd like Santa to give the Android developers better access to audio on their mobile digital devices so we could all have more useful audio apps which would promote peace on earth and good will to all things not Apple.

And don't get me wrong - I don't hate Apple, it's just that nobody ever gave me one of their mobile digital devices.
I'll second that.

But the real number one on my tech-wish-list would be for Reaper to come out with a Linux-based DAW -- and for someone, somewhere, to develop Linux drivers for my MOTU 828mkII and my Echo Mia -- and the TouchDAW Android remote control system, too, long as we're at it.

The more I watch the post-Gates MS flail -- and Apple tighten its noose even as it appears to write off power user creatives for an ever bigger share of the mass market -- the more I think the future of tech-bound creatives like recordists and video editors will likely be on those open Linux shores.

• CMS Author
Quote Originally Posted by blue2blue View Post
But the real number one on my tech-wish-list would be for Reaper to come out with a Linux-based DAW -- and for someone, somewhere, to develop Linux drivers for my MOTU 828mkII and my Echo Mia -- and the TouchDAW Android remote control system, too, long as we're at it.
Well, now that you mention it, I'd like Mackie to develop Win7 drivers for my 1200F. Or even Linux drivers so I could start fussing with multichannel work using Ardour. But apparently there aren't enough 1200Fs around for anyone to be interested in keeping them working with current computers, neither Mackie nor anyone developing audio drivers for Linux.

The trouble with Linux drivers for a device like the 1200F and the MOTU 828 is that when someone does get around to it, they only do the audio part, not the control panel, so you can't use the routing and DSP nicely low latency input monitoring.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by MikeRivers View Post
Well, now that you mention it, I'd like Mackie to develop Win7 drivers for my 1200F. Or even Linux drivers so I could start fussing with multichannel work using Ardour. But apparently there aren't enough 1200Fs around for anyone to be interested in keeping them working with current computers, neither Mackie nor anyone developing audio drivers for Linux.

The trouble with Linux drivers for a device like the 1200F and the MOTU 828 is that when someone does get around to it, they only do the audio part, not the control panel, so you can't use the routing and DSP nicely low latency input monitoring.
Well, most companies are loathe to put anything more than courtesy work in on old products. Boards o' directors and stockholders have this peculiar focus on the products that are currently bringing money in the door. Sometimes that's short-sighted, but it's a balancing act.

• CMS Author
Quote Originally Posted by blue2blue View Post
Well, most companies are loathe to put anything more than courtesy work in on old products. Boards o' directors and stockholders have this peculiar focus on the products that are currently bringing money in the door. Sometimes that's short-sighted, but it's a balancing act.
It's kind of touchy. On one hand, you have the "faithful customer for ten years who bought it new at full price." On the other, you have the customer who bought it 2nd or 3rd hand on eBay for maybe 20% of the original price, expecting it to work with his new computer. Problem is that the customer who bought it new has had it working fine for 10 years and then he buys a new computer. But in that ten years, he hasn't put a dime into the manufactuer's coffers. Neither has the one who bought the used one.

Money for sustaining engineering has to come from somewhere, and it's just not built into the original cost of products that sell for so little. Neither would be happy paying, say, $500 for a new driver. So it becomes a doorstop, or it gets sold on eBay. wink.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by temnov View Post
Just curious what is on your mind, guys.
Considering where my house was two months ago, I got everything I wanted for Christmas.

Thanks to some angels in my life, I was able to get off the mat a lot faster than expected. I should be grooving in my studio space within another 2 weeks or so. Can`t wait...

Merry Christmas to all.

EB

• Members

It's great Ernest, that you are off the mat, you guys had a lot on your plate.

For myself this Christmas I've got two reverbs from my kids - Vee3 from ValhallaDSP and LX480 from Relab.

Still want mooorreee... Ahrr.. That's okey.

Archived