How Paranoid Can You Get? (If You Run a Forum)

MikeRivers

• CMS Author

I got a "warning" e-mail from Gearslutz about a post of mine there, pretty much the same as what I posted here, about DA-40 and MusicPRO reviews recently posted on my web page. Apparently posting message with a link to another forum or blog is, "fishing" for web traffic, which is against their rules.

I hope this warning was sent automatically by a bot and not a real person, but I suppose I'll just have to leave the Gearslutz to find me on their own from now on. My post was removed.

A couple of months ago I got banned from the PreSonus forum because of how I described the enthusiasm of a product manager. I wonder what I can do to offend someone here.

Happy new year. Maybe it'll be a better one.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by MikeRivers View Post
I got a "warning" e-mail from Gearslutz about a post of mine there, pretty much the same as what I posted here, about DA-40 and MusicPRO reviews recently posted on my web page. Apparently posting message with a link to another forum or blog is, "fishing" for web traffic, which is against their rules.
It's against the rules at most sites to do something that causes people to leave that site for something that promotes your own activities; they want people to stay on their site. We do something along these lines in articles like our reviews - clicking on an external link usually opens up a separate tab so it's easy for people to return to HC. Then again, we also assume HCers are familiar with the concept of the "back button." so we don't even bother to open a separate tab for things like news items.

If someone wants to promote something like a contest and link to it from HC, we usually nuke those except for charitable events. But, we also have a somewhat different philosophy. HC is supposed to be an educational resource + your articles are educational = link away. We like it when people come to HC for what HC offers, but if they come to HC to see what other people are offering, they're still coming to HC. No offense Mike, but I'm just too damn busy to look for your stuff on my own; so when you let us know what you're up to in SSS, then I can just click on your link and check it out. In that respect HC provides a service to its users, which we think increases loyalty to HC anyway.

I hope this warning was sent automatically by a bot and not a real person, but I suppose I'll just have to leave the Gearslutz to find me on their own from now on. My post was removed.
Bad Mike. Naughty Mike.

A couple of months ago I got banned from the PreSonus forum because of how I described the enthusiasm of a product manager. I wonder what I can do to offend someone here.
You'd have to try a hell of a lot harder to be offensive. The HCPP sets a very high bar. smile.gif

• Members
It's against the rules at most sites to do something that causes people to leave that site for something that promotes your own activities; they want people to stay on their site. We do something along these lines in articles like our reviews - clicking on an external link usually opens up a separate tab so it's easy for people to return to HC. Then again, we also assume HCers are familiar with the concept of the "back button." so we don't even bother to open a separate tab for things like news items.

If someone wants to promote something like a contest and link to it from HC, we usually nuke those except for charitable events. But, we also have a somewhat different philosophy. HC is supposed to be an educational resource + your articles are educational = link away. We like it when people come to HC for what HC offers, but if they come to HC to see what other people are offering, they're still coming to HC. No offense Mike, but I'm just too damn busy to look for your stuff on my own; so when you let us know what you're up to in SSS, then I can just click on your link and check it out. In that respect HC provides a service to its users, which we think increases loyalty to HC anyway.

Bad Mike. Naughty Mike.

You'd have to try a hell of a lot harder to be offensive. The HCPP sets a very high bar. smile.gif

• CMS Author
Quote Originally Posted by Anderton View Post
they want people to stay on their site. We do something along these lines in articles like our reviews - clicking on an external link usually opens up a separate tab so it's easy for people to return to HC.
That's how I have the links on my site set up, but I don't have any control over how your (or their) site works. Whenever I come to a like to an external URL and I think I'll want to come back to where I found it, I just use right-ciick to open it in a new browser tab. Maybe they just don't think their users are that smart.

No offense Mike, but I'm just too damn busy to look for your stuff on my own
No offense taken. I have about 75 "subscribers" to my web site, which means they get an e-mail message whenever I announce a new article, review, or news item worth posting, Rarely more than a dozen or so a year. But when I post to another audio site that I have something new up (and what it is), I'll get a couple of hundred visits in a couple of days from people downloading that article.

I don't have any income from the site so the only reason for me to try to fish for a few extra hits now and then is so that shows like NAMM and NAB recognize me as "legitimate" and give me a press pass. I don't bother with press at CES any more because they want a verified tally of some minimum number of unique visitors a month. Actually WordPress just started making that statistic available this month. CES wants Google Analytics which isn't a big deal, but just one more place for them to mine data.
Bad Mike. Naughty Mike.
And bah humbug to you, too. wink.gif

• CMS Author
they want people to stay on their site. We do something along these lines in articles like our reviews - clicking on an external link usually opens up a separate tab so it's easy for people to return to HC.
That's how I have the links on my site set up, but I don't have any control over how your (or their) site works. Whenever I come to a like to an external URL and I think I'll want to come back to where I found it, I just use right-ciick to open it in a new browser tab. Maybe they just don't think their users are that smart.

No offense Mike, but I'm just too damn busy to look for your stuff on my own
No offense taken. I have about 75 "subscribers" to my web site, which means they get an e-mail message whenever I announce a new article, review, or news item worth posting, Rarely more than a dozen or so a year. But when I post to another audio site that I have something new up (and what it is), I'll get a couple of hundred visits in a couple of days from people downloading that article.

I don't have any income from the site so the only reason for me to try to fish for a few extra hits now and then is so that shows like NAMM and NAB recognize me as "legitimate" and give me a press pass. I don't bother with press at CES any more because they want a verified tally of some minimum number of unique visitors a month. Actually WordPress just started making that statistic available this month. CES wants Google Analytics which isn't a big deal, but just one more place for them to mine data.
Bad Mike. Naughty Mike.
And bah humbug to you, too. wink.gif

• Members

Hey Mike,

I got a similar PM from Jules around 18 months ago. Not really sure why. I asked Mike Shipley a question about some digital clipping on a Maroon5 CD he mixed and commented about the mastering. People went nuts. Mike eventually admitted that he was disappointed with the label pushing the levels on the CD. So basically, I asked an honest question and got an honest answer eventually but the in between was lots of drama. I`d like to think forums are looking out for everyone but sometimes on GS... it doesn`t feel that way.

EB

• Members

Hey Mike,

I got a similar PM from Jules around 18 months ago. Not really sure why. I asked Mike Shipley a question about some digital clipping on a Maroon5 CD he mixed and commented about the mastering. People went nuts. Mike eventually admitted that he was disappointed with the label pushing the levels on the CD. So basically, I asked an honest question and got an honest answer eventually but the in between was lots of drama. I`d like to think forums are looking out for everyone but sometimes on GS... it doesn`t feel that way.

EB

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest Buckley

View Post

I asked Mike Shipley a question about some digital clipping on a Maroon5 CD he mixed and commented about the mastering. People went nuts.

I'm sure GS was just looking to protect their image - it's not good to have old farts who insist on antiquated ideas like not clipping levels when mastering. Somebody as unhip as you is an embarrassment to the industry; in fact, I think I'll go perma-ban you so people don't think ill of me for not doing so earlier.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest Buckley

View Post

I asked Mike Shipley a question about some digital clipping on a Maroon5 CD he mixed and commented about the mastering. People went nuts.

I'm sure GS was just looking to protect their image - it's not good to have old farts who insist on antiquated ideas like not clipping levels when mastering. Somebody as unhip as you is an embarrassment to the industry; in fact, I think I'll go perma-ban you so people don't think ill of me for not doing so earlier.

• Members
Craig,

Out of respect for you and the HC community, you have my permission to delete any post or thread I participated in. Someone needs to maintain the standards around here!

EB wink.gif

• Members
Craig,

Out of respect for you and the HC community, you have my permission to delete any post or thread I participated in. Someone needs to maintain the standards around here!

EB wink.gif

• Members

I know how it feels to get banned. I got banned from Strat-Talk about a month ago. Had an argument with another member over ceramic pick-ups. It was very informative and I threw some humour into the conversation, but the administrator ended up closing the thread and banning me! I wrote him e-mails several times, but he wouldn't budge. No sympathy whatsoever, but what can you do? But in the meantime, I've discovered other forums including this one. This forum is huge compared to Strat-Talk and has a wider range of topics which basically includes all kinds of music equipment, and then some. And there are other forums like Seymour Duncan & My Les Paul forums that are really awesome and very informative. I don't miss Strat-Talk as much and compared to other forums like this one, ST puts me to sleep!boring.gif

• Members

I know how it feels to get banned. I got banned from Strat-Talk about a month ago. Had an argument with another member over ceramic pick-ups. It was very informative and I threw some humour into the conversation, but the administrator ended up closing the thread and banning me! I wrote him e-mails several times, but he wouldn't budge. No sympathy whatsoever, but what can you do? But in the meantime, I've discovered other forums including this one. This forum is huge compared to Strat-Talk and has a wider range of topics which basically includes all kinds of music equipment, and then some. And there are other forums like Seymour Duncan & My Les Paul forums that are really awesome and very informative. I don't miss Strat-Talk as much and compared to other forums like this one, ST puts me to sleep!boring.gif

Archived