when old becomes new again ................."printing" 33 1/3 rpm records

techristian

• Members

It looks like that would really tear up the needle... I might try it when the printers have 1 micron resolution.

You would think it'd be easier to just make a 2 axis servo system to move the needle around, and play the stereo file through that....

Of course, you could always play the file through an amp and speaker system, but maybe that isn't complex enough... wink.gif

• Members

Talk about retro-tech. wink.gif

It sounds like a fun experiment and it may well lead to other things but, clearly, the way we have made records for the last 60+ years is far superior in terms of production efficiency and quality. But if you really, really need a terribly degraded, ultra-ultra lo fi, one-off groove record (probably at an exorbitant unit cost), it's nice to know the technology is knocking on our door. biggrin.gif

• CMS Author

I wonder how much that printer costs. Anybody here got your 3D "priinter" yet?

Like she says, "it still has a way to go." I think it's really a silly idea. There must be some restorable Rek-o-Kut lathes around that will do a lot better job.

rek-o-kut_tables_lathes.jpg

• Moderators
Quote Originally Posted by MikeRivers View Post
I wonder how much that printer costs. Anybody here got your 3D "priinter" yet?

Like she says, "it still has a way to go." I think it's really a silly idea. There must be some restorable Rek-o-Kut lathes around that will do a lot better job.
Three D printer STOCK is the way to go. DDD. Up 88% since I bought in May. thumb.gif

Terry D.

P.S. Now if I just don't hold onto it all the way back down for once. facepalm.gif

Archived