Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What have been the highlights of your musical year?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got my DAW running quite well, thankfully, thankfully, but I know all too well about the headaches, constant maintenance, problems, etc. that roomjello mentions. I love the editing, the automation for sure, a lot of the tools at my disposal, and some of the work flow, but dayam, it can be a royal-sized pain in the rear. I'm going to probably more or less "freeze" what I have and run it for hopefully a few more years until I absolutely have to get something else, and then I'll re-evaluate what I need to get. I keep hearing that RADAR sounds good.
    Ken Lee on 500px / Ken's Photo Store / Ken Lee Photography Facebook Website / Blueberry Buddha Studios / Ajanta Palace Houseboat - Kashmir / Hotel Green View - Kashmir / Eleven Shadows website / Ken Lee Photography Blog / Akai 12-track tape transfers / MY NEW ALBUM! The Mercury Seven

Comment

Hi,

A few things happened to make 2012 a good musical year for me.

At NAMM I got to hang with Craig A, Jon C, Phil O'Keefe and Chris L which was fun. My son was with me and that was a great experience.

I tried a Collings I-35LC and decided to buy one which ended my very long search for a good 335-type guitar.

Recorded my CD, also together with my son Christoffer who is a very good drummer.

Cheers,

Mats N
      <div class="signaturecontainer">- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - <br />
      BT King - all my backing tracks can be found at :<br />
      <a href="http://nermark.articulateimages.com" target="_blank">http://nermark.articulateimages.com</a></div>

Comment

Hi,

A few things happened to make 2012 a good musical year for me.

At NAMM I got to hang with Craig A, Jon C, Phil O'Keefe and Chris L which was fun. My son was with me and that was a great experience.

I tried a Collings I-35LC and decided to buy one which ended my very long search for a good 335-type guitar.

Recorded my CD, also together with my son Christoffer who is a very good drummer.

Cheers,

Mats N
        <div class="signaturecontainer">- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - <br />
        BT King - all my backing tracks can be found at :<br />
        <a href="http://nermark.articulateimages.com" target="_blank">http://nermark.articulateimages.com</a></div>

Comment

i got to perform with some great musicians.

Made me feel good, for the opportunity, and bad, by comparison to how good they were.

I'm going into 2013 charged up, but also feeling like I've got my work cut out for me.
          <div class="signaturecontainer">I will be banned soon, so don't get too attached.</div>

Comment

i got to perform with some great musicians.

Made me feel good, for the opportunity, and bad, by comparison to how good they were.

I'm going into 2013 charged up, but also feeling like I've got my work cut out for me.
            <div class="signaturecontainer">I will be banned soon, so don't get too attached.</div>

Comment

I'll keep you posted on how the journey goes.

I just know i cannot go on with the sound of the DAW the way i am presently using it.

Perhaps i am pinpointing with too large a percent in one area or the other but i am changing EVERYTHING and starting from another angle.

I look at it as growth.
              <div class="signaturecontainer">How does a monkey eat an elephant?</div>

Comment

I just know i cannot go on with the sound of the DAW the way i am presently using it.

Perhaps i am pinpointing with too large a percent in one area or the other but i am changing EVERYTHING and starting from another angle.

I look at it as growth.

Comment

I look at it as growth.

Comment

I look at it as growth.

Comment

If your not a computer person DAW's can be a royal pita for maintenance type stuff. Once they're running tho its pretty sweet, I think. Its best a lot of times to leave them alone when they're working.

My main problem is not hardware and software issues or crappy sound. Digital sounding "crappy" can come from so many sources its really tough to say what the issue is without knowing the details of your equipment and setup, I certainly can't believe its a general truth. You maybe missing some analog distortion that you had from the past, which you can obtain by sending out to analog stuff and resampling.

Anyway my biggest concern with the digital world is that there can be a stifling effect of having all those in the box fx and plugins. It can be really difficult to apply the kiss method when you have all that power at your finger tips. A lot of times less is more when it comes to fx. But then you sit there and cycle thru 20 different convolutions reverbs and its easy to lose sight of the original inspiration.
                      <div class="signaturecontainer">Fusion Tycoon<br />
                      <br />
                      <a href="http://www.myspace.com/mercurycatfish" target="_blank">Mercury Catfish Myspace</a> <br />
                      <br />
                      <a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pageartist.cfm?bandID=339082" target="_blank">Mercury Catfish</a></div>

Comment

If your not a computer person DAW's can be a royal pita for maintenance type stuff. Once they're running tho its pretty sweet, I think. Its best a lot of times to leave them alone when they're working.

My main problem is not hardware and software issues or crappy sound. Digital sounding "crappy" can come from so many sources its really tough to say what the issue is without knowing the details of your equipment and setup, I certainly can't believe its a general truth. You maybe missing some analog distortion that you had from the past, which you can obtain by sending out to analog stuff and resampling.

Anyway my biggest concern with the digital world is that there can be a stifling effect of having all those in the box fx and plugins. It can be really difficult to apply the kiss method when you have all that power at your finger tips. A lot of times less is more when it comes to fx. But then you sit there and cycle thru 20 different convolutions reverbs and its easy to lose sight of the original inspiration.
                        <div class="signaturecontainer">Fusion Tycoon<br />
                        <br />
                        <a href="http://www.myspace.com/mercurycatfish" target="_blank">Mercury Catfish Myspace</a> <br />
                        <br />
                        <a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pageartist.cfm?bandID=339082" target="_blank">Mercury Catfish</a></div>

Comment

I don't want to turn this into an analog vs. digital discussion, but most people don't miss the distortion in analog. They miss the fullness, presence, better sound stage, natural and musical sounding compression, etc.

Now, talking about DAWs. A lot of us are not computer people. I'm not. We're musicians. We're recording engineers. We want to get on with creating and not update, maintain, configure, read the manual over and over, trouble-shoot, reinstall, upgrade, etc. Some people live for that ****************, but they have to understand that many of us do not. But I would agree...once it's working, leave it alone. I often generally "freeze" my rigs, and make a back-up of them when they are running really well. But anyone who says there's less maintenance with a computer DAWs with a bunch of plugins over an analog tape deck and board is completely insane, in my opinion.
                          Ken Lee on 500px / Ken's Photo Store / Ken Lee Photography Facebook Website / Blueberry Buddha Studios / Ajanta Palace Houseboat - Kashmir / Hotel Green View - Kashmir / Eleven Shadows website / Ken Lee Photography Blog / Akai 12-track tape transfers / MY NEW ALBUM! The Mercury Seven

Comment

I don't want to turn this into an analog vs. digital discussion, but most people don't miss the distortion in analog. They miss the fullness, presence, better sound stage, natural and musical sounding compression, etc.

Now, talking about DAWs. A lot of us are not computer people. I'm not. We're musicians. We're recording engineers. We want to get on with creating and not update, maintain, configure, read the manual over and over, trouble-shoot, reinstall, upgrade, etc. Some people live for that ****************, but they have to understand that many of us do not. But I would agree...once it's working, leave it alone. I often generally "freeze" my rigs, and make a back-up of them when they are running really well. But anyone who says there's less maintenance with a computer DAWs with a bunch of plugins over an analog tape deck and board is completely insane, in my opinion.

Comment

I don't know that I have any one specific thing that is the highlight this past year. We've continued recording The Mercury Seven stuff. It's ambient soundscapes, improvised electronic music. People who like Brian Eno, Cluster, Harmonia, Pink Floyd, or Vidna Obmana might like this stuff...although our second release looks like it's shaping up to be far more frenetic, filled with "idiot energy", as Eno loves to say, and more like Can or other higher-energy stuff than our previous release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw1lAbUHv2Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3-m8XYxkas

Other than that, I've probably had more obvious highlights and successes in photography this year. But nonetheless, I'm rather pleased with the music.

Oh, I did record a band called Break On Through, a Doors tribute band, and was really pleased with how the recordings came out.

And that's my '67 SG in the video as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGyGOix_Xc8

This was tracked and mixed here at Blueberry Buddha Recording Studios, and the video was filmed here as well.

Comment

I don't know that I have any one specific thing that is the highlight this past year. We've continued recording The Mercury Seven stuff. It's ambient soundscapes, improvised electronic music. People who like Brian Eno, Cluster, Harmonia, Pink Floyd, or Vidna Obmana might like this stuff...although our second release looks like it's shaping up to be far more frenetic, filled with "idiot energy", as Eno loves to say, and more like Can or other higher-energy stuff than our previous release.

Other than that, I've probably had more obvious highlights and successes in photography this year. But nonetheless, I'm rather pleased with the music.

Oh, I did record a band called Break On Through, a Doors tribute band, and was really pleased with how the recordings came out.

And that's my '67 SG in the video as well.

This was tracked and mixed here at Blueberry Buddha Recording Studios, and the video was filmed here as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X