Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What have been the highlights of your musical year?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheers guys. Ill use some of yours.

Quote Originally Posted by MrKnobs
    View Post

(3) Drummers have me by the short curly hairs,

(5) Hauling heavy gear around 3 nights a week really sucks (worse as you get older),

Hauling heavy gear around at all I would say

View Post

(6)If you want to make a group of musicians laugh, just tell them you trust your bandmates....

(7) As Pat Coast would say, "We thought we were musicians but we're just beer salesmen."

Quote Originally Posted by Anderton
    View Post

• My vocals all of a sudden got an order of magnitude better. I have no idea why, and I wished it had happened 40 years ago...but better late than never

Yes (although 30 years ago) and its of no use to me know really. I am all but over playing. Because my playing is getting worse.

With regard to gigs I didn
The keenest sorrow is to recognize ourselves as the sole cause of all our adversities

Comment

Cheers guys. Ill use some of yours.

View Post

(3) Drummers have me by the short curly hairs,

(5) Hauling heavy gear around 3 nights a week really sucks (worse as you get older),

Hauling heavy gear around at all I would say

View Post

(6)If you want to make a group of musicians laugh, just tell them you trust your bandmates....

(7) As Pat Coast would say, "We thought we were musicians but we're just beer salesmen."

View Post

• My vocals all of a sudden got an order of magnitude better. I have no idea why, and I wished it had happened 40 years ago...but better late than never

• Yes (although 30 years ago) and its of no use to me know really. I am all but over playing. Because my playing is getting worse.

With regard to gigs I didn
    The keenest sorrow is to recognize ourselves as the sole cause of all our adversities

Comment

Yeah... Mr. Knobs saying how playing in a cover band can suck? I feel the same. To each his own in their own time, but after jumping in again for fun this year, it really was not fun. It was a relief deciding to leave, as much as I enjoyed the guys.

The highlight? Probably rediscovering the simple joys of entertaining a small group at a party with just a guitar, voice and a song.

Those two seemingly similar experiences ended up being two very different things for me.

Comment

Yeah... Mr. Knobs saying how playing in a cover band can suck? I feel the same. To each his own in their own time, but after jumping in again for fun this year, it really was not fun. It was a relief deciding to leave, as much as I enjoyed the guys.

The highlight? Probably rediscovering the simple joys of entertaining a small group at a party with just a guitar, voice and a song.

Those two seemingly similar experiences ended up being two very different things for me.

Comment

2012 was a period of rebuilding for me personally. And all in all, have to say I feel like I made major strides to get back on track not only with music by my life.

Thru 2008 to 10, I managed to lose everything. My house, my gf, my job, my studio. And even myself.. I unwittingly allowed someone the power to control me. I had no confidence, I felt like a leaf in the wind just floundering around.

2011 I walked away from it all. Found myself alone and depressed, but eventually landed a rewarding job.

2012 I woke up and realized, everything is now under my control. So I started working out again (kickboxing) and then reconnected with old friends and family. Also was very happy to meet several new friends.

I bought a used piano and started learning to play the keys better than I ever have.

I also formed a new band with a unique sound (fuzz bass, harmonica, drums and vox) a mix of sexy style funk and hardcore. I jokingly call it sex metal.

And Tidied up some old projects as well.

A productive year, in terms of creation, we've written about 10 new songs. I am very proud of them. We played a handful of successful gigs, no money of course but very positive feedback. We just wrapped up some minor construction to create a couple of sonic spaces, one lively room and one dry room. We plan to kick in the new year with some recording, then on to some spring and summer shows.

Now that I'm back amongst the living and on stable ground, I fully intend to kick 2013 right in the ass.
        Fusion Tycoon

Mercury Catfish Myspace

Mercury Catfish

Comment

2012 was a period of rebuilding for me personally. And all in all, have to say I feel like I made major strides to get back on track not only with music by my life.

Thru 2008 to 10, I managed to lose everything. My house, my gf, my job, my studio. And even myself.. I unwittingly allowed someone the power to control me. I had no confidence, I felt like a leaf in the wind just floundering around.

2011 I walked away from it all. Found myself alone and depressed, but eventually landed a rewarding job.

2012 I woke up and realized, everything is now under my control. So I started working out again (kickboxing) and then reconnected with old friends and family. Also was very happy to meet several new friends.

I bought a used piano and started learning to play the keys better than I ever have.

I also formed a new band with a unique sound (fuzz bass, harmonica, drums and vox) a mix of sexy style funk and hardcore. I jokingly call it sex metal.

And Tidied up some old projects as well.

A productive year, in terms of creation, we've written about 10 new songs. I am very proud of them. We played a handful of successful gigs, no money of course but very positive feedback. We just wrapped up some minor construction to create a couple of sonic spaces, one lively room and one dry room. We plan to kick in the new year with some recording, then on to some spring and summer shows.

Now that I'm back amongst the living and on stable ground, I fully intend to kick 2013 right in the ass.
          Fusion Tycoon

Mercury Catfish Myspace

Mercury Catfish

Comment

I am abandoning digital to as much a degree as possible without hurting my self as a marketable studio from here on out.

Digital sucks, it sounds like ****************.

Also it causes more headaches, detours and distractions to making good music than anything else there is.

I'm out.
            How does a monkey eat an elephant?

Comment

I am abandoning digital to as much a degree as possible without hurting my self as a marketable studio from here on out.

Also it causes more headaches, detours and distractions to making good music than anything else there is.

I'm out.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by roomjello
                View Post

I'm out.

Just outta curiosity, have you tried recording at really high sample rates, like 192kHz? Some smart people I know were on the "digital is crap" side of the fence, but have been swearing to me that recording at 192kHz makes a significant difference - far more than the difference between 96 and 44.1. They say it has nothing to do with frequency response, but the ability to reproduce phase angles properly
                There are now 14 music videos posted on my YouTube channel, including four songs by Mark Longworth. Watch the music video playlist, subscribe, and spread the links! Check back often, because there's more to come...

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by roomjello
                  View Post

I'm out.

Just outta curiosity, have you tried recording at really high sample rates, like 192kHz? Some smart people I know were on the "digital is crap" side of the fence, but have been swearing to me that recording at 192kHz makes a significant difference - far more than the difference between 96 and 44.1. They say it has nothing to do with frequency response, but the ability to reproduce phase angles properly
                  There are now 14 music videos posted on my YouTube channel, including four songs by Mark Longworth. Watch the music video playlist, subscribe, and spread the links! Check back often, because there's more to come...

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbroni
                    View Post

I don't even know you, but damn, your post made me feel really good. Congratulations!!

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbroni
                      View Post

I don't even know you, but damn, your post made me feel really good. Congratulations!!

Comment

View Post

Phase angles, sounds important!

Interestingly i have been reading some posts stating that the user dislikes 192 very much and claims it is inherently broken!

I have never used it. Perhaps i will try it soon.

Btw i will still track to digital but in a Radar, just no more DAW nonsense except for specific editing and processing tasks.

Comment

View Post

Phase angles, sounds important!

Interestingly i have been reading some posts stating that the user dislikes 192 very much and claims it is inherently broken!

I have never used it. Perhaps i will try it soon.

Btw i will still track to digital but in a Radar, just no more DAW nonsense except for specific editing and processing tasks.

Comment

I've got my DAW running quite well, thankfully, thankfully, but I know all too well about the headaches, constant maintenance, problems, etc. that roomjello mentions. I love the editing, the automation for sure, a lot of the tools at my disposal, and some of the work flow, but dayam, it can be a royal-sized pain in the rear. I'm going to probably more or less "freeze" what I have and run it for hopefully a few more years until I absolutely have to get something else, and then I'll re-evaluate what I need to get. I keep hearing that RADAR sounds good.
                            Ken Lee on 500px / Ken's Photo Store / Ken Lee Photography Facebook Website / Blueberry Buddha Studios / Ajanta Palace Houseboat - Kashmir / Hotel Green View - Kashmir / Eleven Shadows website / Ken Lee Photography Blog / Akai 12-track tape transfers / MY NEW ALBUM! The Mercury Seven

Comment

• Working...
                              X