Who Made Learning Obsolete?

MikeRivers

• CMS Author

HC Newsletter Issue 204 landed yesterday with the lead article by Craig about kids these days who get upset when what they think is a simple question isn't answered by a simple yes or no. Boy, can I relate to that! I try to answer questions posted in a forum with as much detail as I think the person asking can, and should understand. All too often, I get berated for being a "show off" and "You don't have to tell me about electronics because I've been an IT tech for 20 years" (when understanding balanced wiring is important to whether the answer would be "yes" or "no." You'd think a polite "Thank you, I guess I'll do something else" would be in order.  

Of course that doesn't happen here, at least not very often. ;)

• Members

I'd never think a response is too detailed, but i'm not a youngster either. Most are informative, some may not be technically correct, but I just appreciate someone chiming in on my question... and I get a real kick if it gets some great discussion (or disagreement) going.

• Members

MikeRivers wrote:

HC Newsletter Issue 204 landed yesterday with the lead article by Craig about kids these days who get upset when what they think is a simple question isn't answered by a simple yes or no. Boy, can I relate to that! I try to answer questions posted in a forum with as much detail as I think the person asking can, and should understand. All too often, I get berated for being a "show off" and "You don't have to tell me about electronics because I've been an IT tech for 20 years" (when understanding balanced wiring is important to whether the answer would be "yes" or "no." You'd think a polite "Thank you, I guess I'll do something else" would be in order.  

Of course that doesn't happen here, at least not very often.
;)

Yeah... I see that all the time at a certain recording/gear site. There are some really knowledgeable people there, including a few who also appear to have a big amount of experience on big budget projects, including orchestral/classical... but, you know, when you know a lot of actual facts and experience-based knowledge, it often goes against the grain of what many people seem to want to hear.

A rather depressing number of people in the greater recording milieu -- some of whom run or own studios with 6 figure gear lists -- just don't want to have their comfortable self-satisfaction with what they firmly seem to believe are their golden ears eroded by actual facts or ego-deflating ABX tests.

• Members

I believe this kind of response - copied/pasted below - is far more indicative of rudeness due to one's anonymity, and less about someone being young and wanting all the answers right away.  Check out the response.  How likely is it that someone would respond with a "nasty and sarcastic follow-up" to Craig if he had asked in person?

Technology can certainly make our lives easier, but sometimes the price is self-education

I once received an email message from someone who wanted to know which 88-note weighted keyboard to buy, and included a list of several potential keyboards (none of which I had used). As I play guitar more often than keyboards, and when I do play keys it

• Members

MikeRivers wrote:

HC Newsletter Issue 204 landed yesterday with the lead article by Craig about kids these days who get upset when what they think is a simple question isn't answered by a simple yes or no.

This reminds me of something one of my teachers said last week (DSP class): "no problem worth solving can be solved in an hour". Or whatever short length of time it was he actually said.

• Members

Often people avoid understanding the device or system as a whole, and only deal with each task/issue individually.  They avoid learning the system because it is perceived as being a large and complex topic. In many cases they end up working harder or less efficently, because they are constantly faced with new problems.

For example, people who never learn to understand the overall paradigm of their TV's control menu and have to look up (or ask)  how to do each task.

Archived