Anyone tried the EPOC mind reading headset yet?

ryan7585

• Members

http://www.emotiv.com/apps/epoc/299/

I just ordered one. Pretty much lets you midi assign your brainwave patterns to device parameters. This kind of thing has serious potential. This is fairly new technology so it's semi-unreliable, but the fact that it can do it even semi-reliably is really incredible. And it seems like most of the limitations are in the software itself (and the software is still an amazing accomplishment), so considering that and the open source network that's now tied to it, this is bound to make it possible to eventually have complete "telekinetic" control over your music.

If anyone here has played with it, and has any ideas, tips or warnings, I'd really appreciate some input. I want to implement this in the most practical way possible

• Members

Be careful combining it with the brown acid.

Sounds pretty intriguing. I wasn't aware of this product, but I've been keeping an eye on the field of bio-feedback control of mechanical devices. I thought it was pretty exciting a couple years back to see a quadrapelegic exerting rudimentary control of a motorized wheel chair. That was pretty awesome (in the true sense of the word), even if the results were more suggestive of further possibilities than practical.

• Members

blue2blue wrote:

Be careful combining it with the brown acid.

Sounds pretty intriguing. I wasn't aware of this product, but I've been keeping an eye on the field of bio-feedback control of mechanical devices. I thought it was pretty exciting a couple years back to see a quadrapelegic exerting rudimentary control of a motorized wheel chair. That was pretty awesome (in the true sense of the word), even if the results were more suggestive of further possibilities than practical.

Haha. the acid we get is good :p

But yeah. I say functionality is spotty, but compared to things like that it performs incredibly well. People are able to control video games with some precision and control those wheelchairs without issue

It seems like a lot of it is that it takes practice. Since it's coming straight from the brain, it's almost like we suddenly have a new limb that we have to learn how to control. But there are already people doing cool things. I'm super excited. 

Archived