kinda OT - web video conferencing?

spokenward

• Members

Is anyone using web video conferencing, not for music, but for client meetings and project planning?

Even heading across town is such a time sink. Assuming cable modems or better on each side of the meeting, are you using anything that works for you? Are any solutions practical for multiclient chats?

Pat

• Members

Sure, plenty of solutions. The good ones cost money, like most things in life. These would be things like
WebEx

But you could use something as simple as Yahoo! Messenger for simple video conferencing for free, or close to it. It all depends on what you need.

thanks! free was where I wanted to start. :cool: I know that Skype has something too. Google acquired video conferencing software from these guys. Whiteboards would be great, but I would settle for something that isn't flat out stupid.

• Members

I zeroed in on DimDim pretty quickly. It looks fairly useful.

Dimdim appealed to me, too. Openmeetings is available as a VMWare image and it has a certain geeked-out charm.

It's interesting, I couldn't name the leading product in the class so I couldn't find rest of the competitors very effectively by searching. The forum has the answers. thanks!

• Members

A year ago we downgraded from using a dedicated partial T-1 and proprietary hardware systems for video conferencing with other agencies in the state to using a web based system like those mentioned above. What we lost in quality we more than made up in convenience and savings. While state government was complaining about us dropping the system other agencies started dropping their dedicated lines and followed us into web based solutions. Ironically we now do most conferences by telephone instead of video. When someone does want to see a face a $50 Logitech camera works just fine.

• 4 years later...

Archived