installed Fedora 18 Gnome on my laptop

techristian

• Members

Yes  have a 64 bit on my tower which I installed last week and it seemed like so much fun that I installed it here in the 32 bit format.

First off, they have changed the way things work !!  No more full screen button (or I just can't find it). The default file manager uses "tabs" instead of 2 windows and I haven't figured out how to show HIDDEN files and directories. I was easily able to update to Firefox 18 (from17) but have been unable to get FLASH working for YouTube. I went to http://java.com to get the java plugin (RPM)  and after downloading it, Fedora wouldn't accept the certificate ?? ...from java.com ??? I installed Audacity with no problem.

So it is another small learning curve here. I got away from Ubuntu about 6 months ago after they went to that weird 3d file folder format. 

Why did I bother with a new install? My PCLinuxOS was not being supported and I was getting security warnings for the past 3 months. 

The Ubuntu, in my tower, wasn't allowing updates, as well.

Dan

• Members

Keep us posted on your progress.

I tried using it about 8 years ago and finally decided it wasn't ready for normal mortals (non- LinuxWizard types). 

There's only so much of my remaining life I want to spend figuring how to do stuff that should be self-apparent.  That's also why I'm waiting 5 or 10 years or so before jumping into Win8.

• Members

Well I have most stuff working now, but it wasn't as simple as Ubuntu. I had to use a CLI (command line interface) and copy and paste some code into it just to get Flash working. There is a problem with the RPM un-packager . For those of you that don't know, RPM on Linux for the past 10 years or so, is just a single step, way to install apps. When it works properly , it is just a matter of downloading the *.RPM file , clicking on it and , in some cases, putting in your password. There is a bug though and Fedora 18 won't work with many RPMs.

Dan

• Members

techristian wrote:

Why did I bother with a new install? My PCLinuxOS was not being supported and I was getting security warnings for the past 3 months. 

Dan

That's weird Dan. PCLOS has been updating fine though there were some hoops to jump through a few months ago when the repositories were changed. I wonder if that wasn't your problem.

Archived