GIVE ME A DONGLE !

techristian

• Members

I have over $100 in this Bitheadz software from them and spent more time fighting with their AUTHORIZER copy protection than actually using this. Even back when I had Windows 98. Then it was even more difficult to install on Xp and now with Windows 8 impossible.

Next I will try more self flagellation with my VIR2 Kontakt 2 package on Windows 8 (another $100 "investment"). If I remember correctly, it also had a difficult copy protection scheme.

Dan

• Members

Bitheadz's software was current during the late '90s to early '00s. I'm not sure why you'd want to try and use it a decade or more later. It was reasonably good stuff for its time period, but virtual instruments have come such a long way since then!

The hassle of trying to get it to work on later operating systems than it was designed for coupled with the comparatively low quality results you'd get if you found a way to make it work seems not at all worth the effort to me, but YMMV.

If you got a lot of use out of your Bitheadz software when it was current, then it was probably money well spent. If not, then it's spilt milk, as the company is long gone.

Regardless, you'll probably find better current freeware synths if you look hard enough. Even good iOS virtual instruments costing a few bucks are probably better than the best virtual instruments of the '90s. I'm not sure you could even claim the virtual instrument industry was in its infancy yet. It was more like a fetus at that point. ;)

Best,

Geoff

• Members

Geoff Grace wrote:

Bitheadz's software was current during the late '90s to early '00s. I'm not sure why you'd want to try and use it a decade or more later. It was reasonably good stuff for its time period, but virtual instruments have come such a long way since then!

The hassle of trying to get it to work on later operating systems than it was designed for coupled with the comparatively low quality results you'd get if you found a way to make it work seems not at all worth the effort to me, but YMMV.

If you got a lot of use out of your Bitheadz software when it was current, then it was probably money well spent. If not, then it's spilt milk, as the company is long gone.

Regardless, you'll probably find better current freeware synths if you look hard enough. Even good iOS virtual instruments costing a few bucks are probably better than the best virtual instruments of the '90s. I'm not sure you could even claim the virtual instrument industry was in its infancy yet. It was more like a fetus at that point.
;)

Best,

Geoff

That doesn't really have a lot of bearing on the complaint about crippled software due to customer-penalizing DRM.  I wonder how many of the great software programs around today will run reliably in 10 years.  I feel it's a gamble to pay money for any software that you can't install and run without DRM.

• Members

techristian wrote:

I have over $100 in this Bitheadz software from them and spent more time fighting with their AUTHORIZER copy protection than actually using this. Even back when I had Windows 98. Then it was even more difficult to install on Xp and now with Windows 8 impossible.

Next I will try more self f
lagellation with my VIR2 Kontakt 2 package on Windows 8 (another $100 "investment"). If I remember correctly, it also had a difficult copy protection scheme.

Dan

Hey Dan,

Be careful what you wish for. I have Waves plugs (probably around $1200 worth) and they`re all sitting there on my iLok key which doesn`t make me feel to comfy. A friend of mine actually lost his iLok and no longer has his Waves plugs. 

Let alone the process of purchasing, downloading, registering, and installing is more inconvenient than a root canal. I wish Waves would go back to their question/response... simple and no need for an iLok. 

Archived