Is it live or is it Memorex?

Folder

• Members

Do you care that Beyonce lip synced? Do the ends justify the means?

Fakery is now an everyday artifact of our lives, as witness the debacles of Lance Armstrong, Mark McGwire, Jayson Blair, Jack Kelley and the U.S. economic meltdown. Indeed, we should probably be grateful Beyonc

• Members

Folder wrote:

Do you care that Beyonce lip synced? Do the ends justify the means?

Fakery is now an everyday artifact of our lives, as witness the debacles of Lance Armstrong, Mark McGwire, Jayson Blair, Jack Kelley and the U.S. economic meltdown. Indeed, we should probably be grateful Beyonc

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Beyonce is representative of the ultimate victory of style over substance.   She is part of a continuing trend started by certain ex-Mouseketeer Disneyland refugees (I'm sure you know who I mean).

There is basically no content to the music, it's all about dance moves and costumes.  So who cares if she sings?  Or what she sings?   Surely not the 13 year old girls who listen to her.   The music is just there to serve as a cheesy sonic backdrop to the fireworks, light show and dance troop.

• Members

philbo wrote:

Beyonce is representative of the ultimate victory of style over substance.   She is part of a continuing trend started by certain ex-Mouseketeer Disneyland refugees (I'm sure you know who I mean).

There is basically no content to the music, it's all about dance moves and costumes.  So who cares if she sings?  Or what she sings?   Surely not the 13 year old girls who listen to her.   The music is just there to serve as a cheesy sonic backdrop to the fireworks, light show and dance troop.

When I was a kid we had teen pop stars.

The average teen pop star put out a couple of albums and their careers usually lasted about 18 months or so until their teenaged fans matured and started listening to serious, real music. A few teen pop stars like David Cassidy and Leif Garrett tried to switch over and start making "serious music" but for most of their potential fans they had been "type cast",  especially by young males. I think I read something once where David Cassidy said at one time he regreted doing the Partridge Family because people never took him or his music seriously after that show aired. Donnie Osmond was listening to Jeff Beck during his teen idol days and years later sang on a Jeff Beck album but could never shake the teen idol stigma.

Now we have teen pop stars who are in their thirties still pumping out the same teen pop formula music. They have never lost their popularity or their credibility and their fans have stayed with them. They are stars first and artists second and their fans don't care and don't know the difference. I have not been able to listen to top 40 and now adult contemporary radio for five years now because most of what I hear is computerised teen pop dreck. I think American Idol has had a negative impact on popular music around the world because I don't think a lot young people even understand how the old model used to work. Musicianship and artistry is not valued anymore because becoming a star is the only goal now. The kind of music that would have only been popular in gay discos ten years ago is now mainstream.

Now having said all that, I've never in the past had a problem with the concept of teen pop stars per se. I liked the Partridge Family when I was a kid and there are and still are a lot of "teen pop" songs I like (even some current ones) but it seems that there has been a shift in both the music business and the consumers in recent years toward promoting and sustaining the teen pop model.

I don't know how I feel about Beyonce lip syncing. I know there was a time in my life when I would have been outraged and there is a part of me that feels considering the context it was wrong. But in general I consider the type of music she and her ilk make to be mostly artificial anyway.

• Members

philbo wrote:

+1,000,000

Whenever I see a performance of this genre, the superbowl halftime show being a good example, I wonder just how many people would go see the performer in concert if all they did was stand there and sing???

Archived