Auria: 48 track iPad DAW Released

• Members

When I ran into Craig at Winter NAMM, the first thing he did was take me over to the WaveMachine Labs booth to see Auria.

Although there's no way a tablet DAW can manage the features and power of the best computer DAWs, I was nonetheless very impressed by how much WaveMachine Labs packed into an iPad app! :cool:

And of course the tablet format has advantages that computer DAWs lack, such as a multitouch display, an even easier portability than a laptop, and an App store price of $49.99.

Info here:

Auria

Plug-in maker PSP had a hand in designing Auria's effects. More here:

Auria the first 48 track digital audio workstation for iPad by WaveMachine Labs inc.

Best,

Geoff

• Members

I'm pretty tempted to pick this up, but would need the camera kit and a usb interface as well (my main interface is firewire), so I'm holding off a bit to see how people like it. It would be awesome to be able to record my nephews band where they practice, or jamming at a friends house or just for recording acoustic guitars and vocals in the living room away from PC noise.

• Members

Yeah, the quiet is definitely an advantage for acoustic stuff. And there are a few USB interfaces that don't require a camera kit because they're made to plug right into the iPad or iPhone dock. The TASCAM IU2 that I just got is one of those.

• CMS Author

Auria Audio Interface Compatibility

There's certainly some good stuff there, but how does it get to "see" all of those inputs and outputs? Is there something like the Apple Core Audio system built into an iPad? In the Windows world, if you don't have an ASIO driver and a program that supports an ASIO driver, you only see two inputs or outputs, or at best a multi-output as a surround configuration.

Has anyone tricked out one of the larger interfaces like the Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 or PreSonus AudioBox 1818VSL to see how many tracks you can actually record simultaneously without it choking? I assume that since it's billed as a 48 track DAW, it will play and mix 48 tracks simultaneously, but they have to get there somehow, and hopefully not just one or two at a time.

On the other hand, I know that I can record 16 tracks simultaneously on my cheap netbook using a Scarlett 18i6 and Reaper. It's only a little bigger than an iPad and doesn't cost me an extra $500. ;)

• 6 months later...
  • Members

Here's a list of compatible interfaces from the Auria website. The new update allows routing of individual updates, and people are having success with a $10.00 non- powered usb hub from ebay. I just got the Presonus 1818vsl because I wanted better pres...got a great deal. I'm excited to work with it - they make an Ipad app for mixing live - presonus has to be hooked up to a laptop, of course. Auria is a truly amazing app. I hope more people here will try it - I'd like to discuss it with others here :  )

• Members

MikeRivers wrote:

Auria Audio Interface Compatibility

There's certainly some good stuff there, but how does it get to "see" all of those inputs and outputs? Is there something like the Apple Core Audio system built into an iPad? In the Windows world, if you don't have an ASIO driver and a program that supports an ASIO driver, you only see two inputs or outputs, or at best a multi-output as a surround configuration.

Has anyone tricked out one of the larger interfaces like the Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 or PreSonus AudioBox 1818VSL to see how many tracks you can actually record simultaneously without it choking? I assume that since it's billed as a 48 track DAW, it will play and mix 48 tracks simultaneously, but they have to get there somehow, and hopefully not just one or two at a time.

On the other hand, I know that I can record 16 tracks simultaneously on my cheap netbook using a Scarlett 18i6 and Reaper. It's only a little bigger than an iPad and doesn't cost me an extra $500.
;)

I'm not sure of its status, but up through XP, the WDM-KS 'pro,' kernel-streaming drivers have provided full access to pro interfaces. (Definitely not to be confused with legacy WDM drivers, which, of course, must use on the fly sample rate conversion and so deliver compromised performance.) As I understand it, the WDM-KS standard was developed in tandem by Cakewalk and MS. (I believe CW has now pretty much fully adopted ASIO, but I'll admit I haven't been keeping up.)

Archived