Just Sent an Email to Rick Wakeman

Mark L

• Members

Good for you! Sometimes people say yes, and you're doing the right thing by contacting him directly. A lot of famous people have written forewords for my books, and I didn't have compromising pictures of them or anything...I just asked and as luck would have it, I asked nice people. But it seems every time I tried to contact someone through their management company, I never got a response, not even a rude "No, f*ck off."

I wanted to do a cover of a Julian Cope song to deconstruct the parts as a sort of educational thing about multitracking, and asked through his management company if they would consider it fair use as I wouldn't make any money from it. Never heard a word back.

OTOH, I'd heard about an up-and-coming songwriter in the UK and asked him directly if I could do a cover version of one of his songs, and he said sure. I'm positive if I'd gone through his management, I would have been blown off and I never would have been able to do a cover of "Black Market Daydreams." :)

Here's one more story about the power of just asking. Once I met John Cage after a lecture, and I said "Hey, you want to come over to my apartment and have lunch?" He seemed slightly taken aback, but then said "Sure." So he came over and had lunch. And I realized THAT'S why he was so cool: Some kid he didn't know from Adam could ask if he wanted to come over and have lunch, and he figured hey, why not. That was an important lesson to me about coolness - always say yes, you never know what interesting things might happen as a result.

Let's see if Rick Wakeman is cool or not. :)

• Members

One of my 3DW friends was working a club here in town and Donovan played that night. After the show Don was kind of hanging around, said to my pal, Look, I don't want to go back to the hotel, how about we go out drinking? 

These folks are (often) regular human beings (particularly after their fifteen minutes fades and they have a chance to breathe).

My friend didn't want to go out and went home to bed but, hell, I would have gone out and drank near-beer all night to pick through some of the stories that guy must have. "Tell me about the night at the hotel in Don't Look Back, Don..."

• Members

Balthazar Munoz wrote:

Oh, I just wrote a letter to Katy Perry , asking her ifshe'd be inetrested in dating a fat, poor, balding 54 year old.

While hanging with her by the jacuzzi this weekend, she told me to tell you that she got your letter and says hi.

• Members

Anderton wrote:

Good for you!

Sometimes people say yes, and you're doing the right thing by contacting him directly. A lot of famous people have written forewords for my books, and I didn't have compromising pictures of them or anything...I just asked and as luck would have it, I asked nice people.
But
it seems every time I tried to contact someone through their management company, I never got a response, not even a rude "No, f*ck off."

I wanted to do a cover of a Julian Cope song to deconstruct the parts as a sort of educational thing about multitracking, and asked through his management company if they would consider it fair use as I wouldn't make any money from it. Never heard a word back.

OTOH, I'd heard about an up-and-coming songwriter in the UK and asked him directly if I could do a cover version of one of his songs, and he said sure. I'm positive if I'd gone through his management, I would have been blown off and I never would have been able to do a cover of "Black Market Daydreams."
:)

Here's one more story about the power of just asking. Once I met John Cage after a lecture, and I said "Hey, you want to come over to my apartment and have lunch?" He seemed slightly taken aback, but then said "Sure." So he came over and had lunch.
And I realized THAT'S why he was so cool:
Some kid he didn't know from Adam could ask if he wanted to come over and have lunch, and he figured hey, why not. That was an important lesson to me about coolness - always say yes, you never know what interesting things might happen as a result.

Let's see if Rick Wakeman is cool or not.

Exactly right.  Great attitude.

And wow.....you got to hang out with John Cage. 

Oh, and this is actually true.  My friend was on the game show (the one with the letters, I forget the name) and I was in the audience and came down after filming.  I met Vanna White, talked for a while, and...I'm not usually this bold, but for some reason, I blurted out, "May I kiss you?" and she said yes (and interestingly, didn't visually react to it as an odd request!).  Go figure.  I realize this is on a much smaller scale than having lunch with John Cage, but i thought I'd mention the power of positive thinking nonetheless.  :D

• Members

Just received a reply

"Rick thanks you for approaching him, but sadly isn't taking on any projects

like these for the foreseeable future. He wishes you well with the

project...

Best regards,

Wayne

RWCC"

Oh well, there's always Tony Banks....

• Members

MarkydeSad wrote:

Just received a reply

project...

Best regards,

Wayne

RWCC"

Yes, try him.  Or Vanna White.

• Members

MarkydeSad wrote:

Just received a reply

project...

Best regards,

Wayne

RWCC"

I'd reach out to Kerry Minnear next. Good try though.

Best,

Geoff

• Members

I sent out a load of emails last night to American female pianists. Just seemed like a good idea

One just replied, saying that my song was 'beautiful' and I have some 'Sting' in my voice. That gave me a lift :)

• Members

MarkydeSad wrote:

I sent out a load of emails last night to American female pianists. Just seemed like a good idea

One just replied, saying that my song was 'beautiful' and I have some 'Sting' in my voice. That gave me a lift

If you hit the Canadian female pianists, watch out for that Krall dame. I hear her (older) husband gets a bit touchy...  grin 

Archived