Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you in tune with your aural environment?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin1963
    View Post

This new trend towards having a TV set on the wall blaring in the waiting room of every doctor. Turned up loud, and blaring the false cheer and glib rah-rah of daytime television. And nobody is watching it. Seniors sitting in their uncomfortable waiting room chairs, staring blankly in every direction except towards the TV set. It's not clear at all who is profiting from this broadcast....(?)

The clinic I go to now has non stop infomericals on their giant TV which seem designed to scare the crap out of you about various diseases and conditions while simultaneously assuring you they can be treated right in the very clinic where you're sitting.

All in all, though, a step up from daytime television.

Terry D.
    Telling Stories releases 2nd CD, see our WEBSITE! Please check out my GROUPIE STORY and Tales from the Road.

Comment

Yeah, I tend to notice acoustical details and sounds other people miss. Reverb properties in big spaces I notice a lot.

When it comes to people talking, in person or on a TV, I get easily distracted. The "cocktail party effect" is mostly absent for me; if I'm at a busy place with lots of people talking, I often have a hard time understanding a person whose face is a foot from mine. I find it's the opposite with music for me: I often have a hard time stepping back and hearing the whole, I'm always focusing on one thing. It can be a problem for writing and mixing sometimes.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Folder
        View Post

[...]

I like the in-house music they play over the speakers at Kroger. Sometimes I'll hear a really cool old obscure classic rock song but then when I get over to the pharmacy section they'll usually have the radio playing real loud on the cheesy pop or R&B station.

I guess you could say I'm the kind of person who would rather hear one really bad song instead of two good ones at the same time.

Kroger owns the Ralph's chain out here. I typically have earbuds in but when I don't, I typically hear the robo-drone of tuned pop and rock -- something about that sound just seems to rise above... I can't really tell what they're singing, or even necessarily hear well enough to know if it's a man or woman, but that auto-tune keen sticks out like the proverbial sore thumb...

music and social links | recent listening

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin1963
          View Post

This new trend towards having a TV set on the wall blaring in the waiting room of every doctor. Turned up loud, and blaring the false cheer and glib rah-rah of daytime television. And nobody is watching it. Seniors sitting in their uncomfortable waiting room chairs, staring blankly in every direction except towards the TV set. It's not clear at all who is profiting from this broadcast....(?)

Sadly, that's been the case for a while out here, depending on the doc.

The more institutional, the more likely they'll have the TV blaring... hospitals and clinics and the like. And there are probably correlations with economic scale/clientele, as well. Let's face it. Most hospitals and clinics and probably most docs' offices are not going to have Atlantic Monthly and Architectural Digest lying out on the cheap, molded plastic table in the waiting room and Vivaldi on the muzak. They're going to have Oprah blaring from a TV and some torn up Sports Illustrated and People magazines.

If they wanted to make hospital emergency waiting rooms a less stressful experience (and they really, really need to), the first place to start would be to nuke the freakin' TV that no one is watching.

music and social links | recent listening

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by veracohr
            View Post

When it comes to people talking, in person or on a TV, I get easily distracted. The "cocktail party effect" is mostly absent for me; if I'm at a busy place with lots of people talking, I often have a hard time understanding a person whose face is a foot from mine.

I'm usually not distracted by the soft rumble of people talking to each other in a crowd but the very second that I hear somebody start yakking on a cell phone their voice seems to jump out of the mix and becomes the most annoying sound in the world.

Comment

I haven't lived in a home with a TV in years. But whenever I'm around the standard programming, I can't handle advertisements. There's something about them that makes my eyes twitchy and I impulsively grab the remote to mute it. Once the audio is off, I breathe a huge sigh of relief.

Plus, I cannot sleep with music. Hours and hours can go by.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Folder
                View Post

I'm apparently always listening to my aural environment.

Sometimes I'll be in a restaurant or some other public place and I will make a comment about a song playing in the background and someone will inevitably say "What song ?" or "Oh yeah, I didn't notice it." - I can't help but notice it.

I can't stand the sound of multiple audio sources playing simultaneously.

I recently had lunch in a restaurant that had two TVs blaring on different stations. Also there was pop music playing over the sound system. I could hear spanish language music wafting out of the kitchen and then somebody had the nerve to put a dollar in the jukebox.

As I sat there with the cacophony of five different sound sources blasting around the place I looked around to see if anybody else was as irritated as I was.

Not a single person seemed to notice it.

Do you think as a musician or audio engineer you hear differently than normal people?

I am always sitting in the spot where I can get decent stereo positioning in public. Or I should say trying to... so many coffee shops n restaurants don't even try to put speakers in a reasonable place.

Comment

I've just turned off the tube, it got me through the Holidays. If I haven't had it on in a few months the ads get to me, then I'll just hit the mute button or toggle to another show, but I do get used to it, then get to the point where I have to let it go. I do tend to notice a void after that and I'll start reading or learning some music.

If I can adjust the environment I will, if not I'll either leave it or endure it until I can leave. I do own some ear plugs.
                  War is over if you want it.
                  - John & Yoko -

Nothing fails like success.
                  - Alan Watts - (based on Samsara)

"I'd put my money on the sun and solar energy. What a source of power! I hope we don't have to wait until oil and coal run out before we tackle that."
                  -Thomas Edison, in conversation with Henry Ford and Harvey Firestone, 1931-

Comment

• Anderton
                    Anderton commented
                    Editing a comment

I was waiting for a plane at LAX and found a corridor that had power outlets. Great!! I could use my laptop without running down the battery!

BUT because it was an isolated corridor, I could hear the muzak in all its glory. Wow, did it ever suck. The sax player sounded like a morph between Kenny G and Honey Boo Boo. After a while I just couldn't take it any more, and went back to the main part of the terminal. I did find an outlet

Working...
                X