Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you in tune with your aural environment?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote Originally Posted by guido61
    View Post

I find this "multi-media" feature of news channels to be annoying as well. Fox isn't the only one who does it too much sometimes.

Annoying...and stressful, at least to me. I can't stand it, and try as much as possible not to watch programs that do that. Two banners racing across the bottom of the screen, pictures-within-a-picture, a caption, etc. Not my thing at all.
    Ken Lee on 500px / Ken's Photo Store / Ken Lee Photography Facebook Website / Blueberry Buddha Studios / Ajanta Palace Houseboat - Kashmir / Hotel Green View - Kashmir / Eleven Shadows website / Ken Lee Photography Blog / Akai 12-track tape transfers / MY NEW ALBUM! The Mercury Seven

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Folder
      View Post

I'm apparently always listening to my aural environment.

Sometimes I'll be in a restaurant or some other public place and I will make a comment about a song playing in the background and someone will inevitably say "What song ?" or "Oh yeah, I didn't notice it." - I can't help but notice it.

I can't stand the sound of multiple audio sources playing simultaneously.

I recently had lunch in a restaurant that had two TVs blaring on different stations. Also there was pop music playing over the sound system. I could hear spanish language music wafting out of the kitchen and then somebody had the nerve to put a dollar in the jukebox.

As I sat there with the cacophony of five different sound sources blasting around the place I looked around to see if anybody else was as irritated as I was.

Not a single person seemed to notice it.

Do you think as a musician or audio engineer you hear differently than normal people?

I hear everything too and it drives me batty. The smacking of lips when people eat just irritates me to no end. People humming... another irritating sound... I hear clocks clicking in the background. I have to change radio stations if the announcers plosives are heard or if they make the "d`s" on the end of words into a "t". Bars are horrible cause as you mentioned, multiple sound sources, just can`t deal with it. Even at home, I have to shut the volume off if someone is talking. You`re not alone.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Folder
        View Post

I'm apparently always listening to my aural environment.

Sometimes I'll be in a restaurant or some other public place and I will make a comment about a song playing in the background and someone will inevitably say "What song ?" or "Oh yeah, I didn't notice it." - I can't help but notice it.

I can't stand the sound of multiple audio sources playing simultaneously.

I recently had lunch in a restaurant that had two TVs blaring on different stations. Also there was pop music playing over the sound system. I could hear spanish language music wafting out of the kitchen and then somebody had the nerve to put a dollar in the jukebox.

As I sat there with the cacophony of five different sound sources blasting around the place I looked around to see if anybody else was as irritated as I was.

Not a single person seemed to notice it.

Do you think as a musician or audio engineer you hear differently than normal people?

I hear everything too and it drives me batty. The smacking of lips when people eat just irritates me to no end. People humming... another irritating sound... I hear clocks clicking in the background. I have to change radio stations if the announcers plosives are heard or if they make the "d`s" on the end of words into a "t". Bars are horrible cause as you mentioned, multiple sound sources, just can`t deal with it. Even at home, I have to shut the volume off if someone is talking. You`re not alone.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by UstadKhanAli
          View Post

Multiple sources going on at the same time should drive most people insane,

I have a friend whose wife always has the TV in the living room on one channel while the TV in the kitchen is on a different channel. My friend told me she likes it that way. He can't stand it, so when I'm over there we will turn down the TV in the kitchen or change them to the same channel but she always turns them back the way they were.

View Post

Worst is when the sound system is distorted and I'm thinking "how can these people work here all day listening to this!"

Yeah me too. I hear that a lot.

Or how about when the sound keeps cutting off and coming back on like there is a loose speaker wire or bad reception. That's like fingernails on a chalkboard to me and seems like it would be very obvious to most people. I was someplace once and a woman was singing along to the music that kept cutting out but she would just keep singing while it went off and was always still in time when it came back on. I'm not even sure if she noticed it.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin1963
          View Post

DOLLAR TREE has the most amazing in-house piped-in music, BTW: 1960's oldies, but the really OBSCURE ones that Oldies radio NEVER plays!

I like the in-house music they play over the speakers at Kroger. Sometimes I'll hear a really cool old obscure classic rock song but then when I get over to the pharmacy section they'll usually have the radio playing real loud on the cheesy pop or R&B station.

I guess you could say I'm the kind of person who would rather hear one really bad song instead of two good ones at the same time.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by UstadKhanAli
            View Post

Multiple sources going on at the same time should drive most people insane,

I have a friend whose wife always has the TV in the living room on one channel while the TV in the kitchen is on a different channel. My friend told me she likes it that way. He can't stand it, so when I'm over there we will turn down the TV in the kitchen or change them to the same channel but she always turns them back the way they were.

View Post

Worst is when the sound system is distorted and I'm thinking "how can these people work here all day listening to this!"

Yeah me too. I hear that a lot.

Or how about when the sound keeps cutting off and coming back on like there is a loose speaker wire or bad reception. That's like fingernails on a chalkboard to me and seems like it would be very obvious to most people. I was someplace once and a woman was singing along to the music that kept cutting out but she would just keep singing while it went off and was always still in time when it came back on. I'm not even sure if she noticed it.

View Post

DOLLAR TREE has the most amazing in-house piped-in music, BTW: 1960's oldies, but the really OBSCURE ones that Oldies radio NEVER plays!

I like the in-house music they play over the speakers at Kroger. Sometimes I'll hear a really cool old obscure classic rock song but then when I get over to the pharmacy section they'll usually have the radio playing real loud on the cheesy pop or R&B station.

I guess you could say I'm the kind of person who would rather hear one really bad song instead of two good ones at the same time.

Comment

View Post

Yes, I find music to be distracting more than soothing. I can't NOT listen to it. Worst is when the sound system is distorted and I'm thinking "how can these people work here all day listening to this!"

Many people enjoy falling asleep listening to music. I can't do it. I LISTEN to it and it keeps me awake. I need talk radio or television to bore me to sleep.

Oh yeah, the distorted supermarket speakers! I asked my wife one day while we`re shopping, "How do the people who work here all day listen to this?"

Her: Listen to what?

Me: The speaker?

Her: Oh, I didn`t even hear that until you mentioned it.

Its us musicians.... we`re doomed to the rest of the world.

Comment

View Post

Yes, I find music to be distracting more than soothing. I can't NOT listen to it. Worst is when the sound system is distorted and I'm thinking "how can these people work here all day listening to this!"

Many people enjoy falling asleep listening to music. I can't do it. I LISTEN to it and it keeps me awake. I need talk radio or television to bore me to sleep.

Oh yeah, the distorted supermarket speakers! I asked my wife one day while we`re shopping, "How do the people who work here all day listen to this?"

Her: Listen to what?

Me: The speaker?

Her: Oh, I didn`t even hear that until you mentioned it.

Its us musicians.... we`re doomed to the rest of the world.

Comment

Another tangentially-related comment: Helen Keller was once asked as an adult which sense would she choose, seeing or hearing, if only one could be magically restored:

"I am just as deaf as I am blind. The problems of deafness are deeper and more complex, if not more important than those of blindness. Deafness is a much worse misfortune. For it means the loss of the most vital stimulus-- the sound of the voice that brings language, sets thoughts astir, and keeps us in the intellectual company of man. "
                  Every paint-stroke takes you farther and farther away from your initial concept. And you have to be thankful for that. Wayne Thiebaud

Friend me on FACEBOOK!

Comment

Another tangentially-related comment: Helen Keller was once asked as an adult which sense would she choose, seeing or hearing, if only one could be magically restored:

"I am just as deaf as I am blind. The problems of deafness are deeper and more complex, if not more important than those of blindness. Deafness is a much worse misfortune. For it means the loss of the most vital stimulus-- the sound of the voice that brings language, sets thoughts astir, and keeps us in the intellectual company of man. "
                    Every paint-stroke takes you farther and farther away from your initial concept. And you have to be thankful for that. Wayne Thiebaud

Friend me on FACEBOOK!

Comment

I vote with my feet and dollars whenever any shop or restaurant decides they know what I want to hear and how loud. I just leave.

But, like most of the other posters, I absolutely detest noise from multiple sources, especially the loud chatter in a bar at that time of the night when everybody is drunk enough to think they are still whispering. It might have come from growing up in a 9-kid family living in a 2 bedroom house... Whatever the reason, I leave the scene immediately and head for a quieter place.

Speaking of being in aural tune with my environment, I happened to clip a guitar tuner onto my fingertip the other day.... Turns out I was between A# and Bb that day.

Comment

• Folder
                        Folder commented
                        Editing a comment

philbo wrote:
                        I vote with my feet and dollars whenever any shop or restaurant decides they know what I want to hear and how loud. I just leave.

I'm musically in tune with my environment.

If any music is playing and I have a guitar in my hand I automatically find the key and try to play along to it. Guitar Center always has music playing and when I've been there trying out guitars I always play along to it. Often I hear other people doing it too but it amazes me how many people don't. Some people will sit there playing their "Stairway to Heaven" or "Smoke on the Water" totally oblivious to the music playing over the sound system.

Lately Guitar Center has had TV screens playing concert videos throughout the store, sometimes more than one, but they also still play the music over the loudspeakers. It's very distracting and when you add in the "Stairway to Heavens" and "Smoke on the Waters" it becomes a cacophony of noise.

The other day I went there to try out the digital pianos and they had a big TV screen playing some sort of Jazz piano tutorial in the keyboard department. I don't improvise on the piano the same way that I do on guitar so I wanted to sit down and play some original piano pieces. The whole time I'm there the guy on the video is talking and playing all these Jazz riffs very loudly. After a few minutes I got frustrated and just left. They lost a potential sale that day because I couldn't hear the keyboards over the video.

So we pre-paid for this great-looking vacation resort getaway for an off-season getaway. Nice enough place, multiple huge pools, workout rooms, views of the surrounding hills, decent rooms and restaurant, etc etc. Touted as a "natural environment" sort of resort with walking trails and so on. Wow! great! ok! we're here!-- so nice to get away from the madness, let's go a walk and start really relaxing....and every walking trail was lined with fake-rock speakers playing crossover country stuff like Eddie Rabbitt, Ronnie Milsap, Juice Newton, etc. LOUD, too.

nat whilk ii

Comment

So we pre-paid for this great-looking vacation resort getaway for an off-season getaway. Nice enough place, multiple huge pools, workout rooms, views of the surrounding hills, decent rooms and restaurant, etc etc. Touted as a "natural environment" sort of resort with walking trails and so on. Wow! great! ok! we're here!-- so nice to get away from the madness, let's go a walk and start really relaxing....and every walking trail was lined with fake-rock speakers playing crossover country stuff like Eddie Rabbitt, Ronnie Milsap, Juice Newton, etc. LOUD, too.

nat whilk ii

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by nat whilk II
                          View Post

nat whilk ii

Wow, thats horrible. Worst vacation of my life was a family cruise around 8 years ago. Loud music on deck all day and too many people. Not my idea of relaxing.

Comment

This new trend towards having a TV set on the wall blaring in the waiting room of every doctor. Turned up loud, and blaring the false cheer and glib rah-rah of daytime television. And nobody is watching it. Seniors sitting in their uncomfortable waiting room chairs, staring blankly in every direction except towards the TV set. It's not clear at all who is profiting from this broadcast....(?)

Friend me on FACEBOOK!

Comment

View Post

This new trend towards having a TV set on the wall blaring in the waiting room of every doctor. Turned up loud, and blaring the false cheer and glib rah-rah of daytime television. And nobody is watching it. Seniors sitting in their uncomfortable waiting room chairs, staring blankly in every direction except towards the TV set. It's not clear at all who is profiting from this broadcast....(?)

Yeah I've seen that too..

And now all of the new re-designed McDonald's where I live have the obligatory gigantic flat screens on the wall blaring Fox News all day while the easy listening music is "simultaneously" playing over the sound system. I'd rather go through the drive through.

Comment

Working...
                              X