Songs That Make You Cry

Mark L

• Members

I take so many antidepressants nowadays that I don't cry anymore.    But if I did,   I would probably cry at these old tearjerkers.  Now Marky,  I know you're really a softie inside,  so don't pretend these songs don't touch you!    America used to be a much more intimate place than it is now...   AM radio used to play some songs that were so intimate/touching...    that the listener was left floored... the yellow stripes and roadside billboards would suddenly become blurry.     just while driving to work in the pick-up.    We don't really get those anymore...    we're way too jaded and cynical now.  Was it the Punk movement that nailed the coffin on these old sad songs?    Or maybe The Eagles' cocaine-stiffened,  Aphex-sheened  cynicisms?

Some songs have become so shopworn,    and the butt of so many jokes,   that we can hardly take them seriously anymore.   But when was the last time you really listened--   with heart open---   to,  say,   Tammy Wynette's "D-I-V-O-R-C-E"  ?      The song is almost unspeakably sad.

• Members

Oh, yeah, here's my odd selection - the first three because they hit me at a particular moment when I resonated with whatever by chance...

This one, I was 20,  I was just fresh from getting dumped by a girl I was hopelessly in love with....

This one...I was hitting those first big pangs of "realizing middle age" and that so many dreams were not coming true...so much of the best of life had passed...and the road ahead was uphill and I was tired...bwaaaa, etc.

sorry this one is ad-prefixed...but you can skip real soon...

My son, back when he was only about four, almost drowned, and I can still hardly bear to remember that episode.  This song taps that, and the whole world and it's sorrow and it's hopeless dreaming all in one...Yeat's poem is phenomenal - 

This one  isn't pinned to my heart from any daggerous personal event, but it's just a great, sad, sad tune - 

Once when our mother called

She had a voice of last year

• Members

While it doesn't necesserily make me cry, this performance more gives me goosebumps. It's not really the best performance IMO but let me explain... My band opened for Luther Allison less than a week before this video was shot in July, 1997. He put on an amazing, high energy show and was a classy, gracious guy. He gave absolutely no indication of weakness or strain. No indication at all of the cancer that I found out a month  later was killing him. This video is the picture of strength, dedication and work ethic - right up to the end.

• Members

I met his son Bernard at the after-party for the Mississippi Valley Blues Fest a couple years ago - - great musician, great guy.   Very friendly dude...

I noticed you're based in Milwaukee.   Do you guys ever play the Summerfest?   If you do, let me know & I'll come if possible.  (Monroe was my childhood home town)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived