Free Monophonic Guitar to MIDI Converter VST

BertAnt

• Members

Well, he's got an mp3 demo of the program so i'd assume it's safe/legit. I clicked the link here at work so i unfortunately can't listen to it. As with everything, make sure your antivirus is activated before downloading.

• Members

I suspect OP's link is benign. But I have to say, good luck, to those who think their background AV scanning is likely to catch many current threats.

The last study I saw on the efficacy of background antivirus scanning indicated that even the big vendors who presumably try to stay right on top of threats miss as much as 80 percent of current threats -- which are, after all, what you've got to watch out for.

Keeping OS, browsers, and net-enabled software patched and up to date -- and safe surfing -- are your best protections, seems to me. (And, sadly, safe surfing does mean being wary about links to unfamiliar sites/sources.)

OP might be well advised to place his software on something like http://www.kvraudio.com/

• Members

Good luck.

I have never heard an analog to midi program that worked anyways near decent. The guitar signal waveform is just too complex with its overtones for the program to decypher properly and the sound glitches all over the place.

They even have a hard time using a midi pickup converting directly with the best out there.

• Members

Why is your VST "Guitar to MIDI converter" plug-in using routines in
and
?

Tell us. We want to know.

because it is using the gullibility of naive musicians to implant the next big botnet for DOS attacks on someone? market research for pr0n sites? trafficking highly illegal underage material?

• Members

Sorry man, 3 posts and you're wanting other to download questionable program of a type that suck in genral, forget it. You have all kinds of attack, decay, tonal and dynamic issues that dont translate.

If I need midi its simple, I use midisoft and click the notes in, I play keyboard, Or I pull out mu midi guitar. Anything in comparison is super lame and not worth the time messing with.

• Members

And ws2_32.dll is the WinSock socket utility that contains the socket API for handling internet and network communications.

I'm no music application developer -- but this raises my eyebrows.

HEY BRO

These libraries are automatically linked by a lot of SDKs -- especially Winsock.

In general, checking the linked libraries is fairly useless as far as malware detection goes. You'd be far better off checking the list of system calls the dll potentially invokes or doing some behavioural analysis in a VM sandbox.

Also, if it's a packed image, that is the reddest of red flags.

I'll see if I can check the file out when I get home from work today.

• Members

It had occurred to me that there might be innocent reasons...

Still, it's kind of hard to imagine a plug-in that needs internet/networking capabilities. It's not the kind of overhead I want to see my plug-ins carrying into my DAW. If OP is using link libraries that liberally, one wonders what other presumed dead weight the plug might be carrying.

• Members

It had occurred to me that there might be innocent reasons...

Still, it's kind of hard to imagine a
plug-in
that needs internet/networking capabilities. It's not the kind of overhead I want to see my plug-ins carrying into my DAW. If OP is using link libraries that liberally, one wonders what other presumed dead weight the plug might be carrying.

HEY BRO2BRO

I think we're probably in agreement regarding the potential quality of this plugin. At least, I can't see it doing any better than Melodyne, so I'm not particularly interested.

I'm more concerned about whether this rascally goofball is up to no good. I'll have more info later tonight.

• Members

HEY BROS

The VST plugin looks legit.

No apparent attempts to access the internet, no system hooks or autoruns installed, and nothing rootkit-ish going on.

The plugin loaded okay in Reaper, but I didn't run any sweet guitar sounds through it, so I have no idea how well it works. :idk:

• Members

I don't know any API's, but i made this in Outsim Synthmaker, probably the VST rendered in it using those suspicious dlls. I have no idea what those do actually, in SM you just clicked 'export as VST' and you got the dll plugin, so it's just like saving patch/preset, but the result is a VST dll.

Wait, you guys probably never heard of Synthmaker maybe ? That's too bad..

Yeah i know, all Roland users are well known of hating software Pitch to MIDI :lol:

Ok, sorry for posting the link, i'll remove it if it's not accepted here.

• Members

BertAnt

It's tough giving something away for free, hunh? :D

Now, that you -- or your software, anyway -- has gone through the gantlet and emerged, beaten but unbent, let me say, Welcome!

;)

I think we all owe AwayEam (that Hey Bro guy :D ) a big thanks for putting in all the detective work and helping to keep us from hanging an innocent piece of software in the town square.

But now it's all vetted (and hazed :D ) and BertAnt has it listed at KVR and all is right with the world. At least in this small corner of the universe.

The system works. ;)

• Members

i built a guitar midi converter at one time but ultimately stopped development of it due to a huge roadblock in the envelope stage. i could analyze the pitch, trigger the midi note but had difficulty with it re-triggering. not sensitivity issue; i couldnt figure out a way to 'hold' the note, so it just kept retriggering to infinity as long as i played the note on the guitar. after a lot of monkeying and reading, i finally just took the working part of my program and made it into a realtime synth - and that worked great.

so bertant, how did you get past this complex issue?

• Members

It's tough giving something away for free, hunh?
:D

Now, that you -- or your software, anyway -- has gone through the gantlet and emerged, beaten but unbent, let me say,
Welcome!

;)

Thanks for the welcome :) It's not really free though, i was hoping comments in return, so i can improve it even more, it's like comment-ware :) But, if i'm wasting everyone's time by asking opinion, then i apologize for it.

• Members

i built a guitar midi converter at one time but ultimately stopped development of it due to a huge roadblock in the envelope stage. i could analyze the pitch, trigger the midi note but had difficulty with it re-triggering. not sensitivity issue; i couldnt figure out a way to 'hold' the note, so it just kept retriggering to infinity as long as i played the note on the guitar. after a lot of monkeying and reading, i finally just took the working part of my program and made it into a realtime synth - and that worked great.

so bertant, how did you get past this complex issue?

Well, i've done some approach that integrates the triggering into pitch detection itself, so it won't retrigger unless intended to. What you mentioned is something i faced at MIDI events creation stage, and i figure to hold the note it can be done with env follower -> schmitt trigger (which has different on/off threshold). The most annoying thing of MIDI Note Events is its sample and hold type, it's not continuous, so i found the MIDI events should be prepared to match this type before sending it out.

Archived