Problems with M-Audio studiophile AV40 speakers.

cearleywine

• Members

I've had them for about 5 months now and these are perfect for my bedroom setup. Unfortunately, the left speaker started getting weak in volume a few days ago and now it's completely out. It doesn't even send it through the headphones, and I've tried all three inputs. The left speaker box also has all the inputs as well as power supply so I'm thinking the amp possibly got overheated and wires became disconnected somehow :idk: I like the sound of these so I'd like to repair it if possible, just as long as it doesn't cost as much as they do new. Please, any advice is appreciated.

• Moderators

I've had them for about 5 months now and these are perfect for my bedroom setup. Unfortunately, the left speaker started getting weak in volume a few days ago and now it's completely out. It doesn't even send it through the headphones, and I've tried all three inputs. The left speaker box also has all the inputs as well as power supply so I'm thinking the amp possibly got overheated and wires became disconnected somehow
:idk:
I like the sound of these so I'd like to repair it if possible, just as long as it doesn't cost as much as they do new. Please, any advice is appreciated.

I have a pair of AV-40s also - so far so good. :idk:

I think these things are too cheap to make repair practical. Your problem sounds to me like the internal electronics have some failure, and unless you're an experienced electronics tech it's pretty unlikely anything you might do will fix it. :idk:

Just 5 months? How long is the warranty on these things?

Terry D.

• 4 years later...
  • Members

I have a pair of these. Nice speakers. Unfortunately one tweeter has gone open circuit and the as M-Audio has been taken over the new owners don't support them and have no parts !! I hate to throw them away , maybe we can make one good set out of our parts !!

• Members

I have those, and use them for my TV.  I generally like them although they seem a bit bass-heavy.  I purchased them new for I believe around US$130, so if the repair price starts creeping toward that, I would look to replace it.  This is unfortunate since we create this disposable scenario, admittedly, although what I frequently do is put broken stuff up on Craigslist, giving it away for free, saying that they work but need repairing.  Someone always takes it.  I've never had anything that wasn't taken.

Archived