So...What Do You Think Is the Hottest Company Out There Right Now?

Anderton

• Members

This is independent of category...could be because of a DAW, or soft synth, or whatever. I'd say Ableton definitely gets some buzz for Push, they're backordered to 2043 or something. Definitely something hot. Apple's still most hot, or at least quite warm, although they've slid a bit from their aura of invincibility. Probably Universal Audio gets some heat for Apollo, which has done really well, and because their plug-ins just sound so darn good...and Propellerheads, with the rack extensions and Reason 7.

Who would you choose? Who's the "Digidesign of 2013?"

• CMS Author

Anderton wrote:

I'd say Ableton definitely gets some buzz for Push, they're backordered to 2043 or something. Definitely something hot.

Push can't be all that hot. I've never heard of it. Am I reading the wrong forums? OK, I Googled it. You've always liked alternative control methods for playing music, but have any of them really caught on?

I don't know how "hot" Digidesign has ever been. It may be the program that everyone who does any professional work has to use at least sometimes, but when it comes to actual bytes in use, I'll bet Sonar and Cubase (or more generically, Cakewalk and Steinberg) have more users. More importantly, they have more users who say "I'm using this because I want to, not because I must, in order to stay competetive in the business.

I think the company that makes a good multichannel audio interface with a solid driver for Linux will be hot. But I don't expect that until Push fills all their back orders.

• Members

MikeRivers wrote:

Anderton wrote:

I'd say Ableton definitely gets some buzz for Push, they're backordered to 2043 or something. Definitely something hot.

Push can't be all that hot. I've never heard of it. Am I reading the wrong forums? OK, I Googled it. You've always liked alternative control methods for playing music, but have any of them really caught on?

I don't know how "hot" Digidesign has ever been.

Digidesign was hot, not Avid :)

As to controllers, a bunch have caught on. Peavey sold a ton of PC1600s, so much so they did an updated model. And for Live, the APC20 and APC40 have done huge quantities, and I think the Novation Launchpad has done really well too. Maschine has also been a massive success. Push is in the same vein as these controllers, with some added extras.

• Members

Anderton wrote:

This is independent of category...could be because of a DAW, or soft synth, or whatever. I'd say Ableton definitely gets some buzz for Push, they're backordered to 2043 or something. Definitely something hot. Apple's still most hot, or at least quite warm, although they've slid a bit from their aura of invincibility. Probably Universal Audio gets some heat for Apollo, which has done really well, and because their plug-ins just sound so darn good...and Propellerheads, with the rack extensions and Reason 7.

I`ve said this for years but I think Propellerhead is a dark horse. Bringing audio and their rack extensions will most likely open the door for plug ins as well. Each version just gets better than the previous and with endless routing and sounds, its probably the best bang for the buck. Their DAW does need some tweaking, its still childish but I think it`ll get there by Version 8 or 9. Just my $.02

• Moderators

Native Instruments

They seem to absolutely get it. Here's a company that leans heavily toward electronica types of genres, of which I've dabbled in in the past, but no longer, and even with that sort of leaning, manages to peak the interest of any music maker creative. If I'm working a a modern country tune, NI stuff gets used. Deep, but absolutely workable in a macro fashion as well. 3rd party interest up the yingyang. Every little thing they do tends to sound better than everyone else.  

Archived