Got a Blu-Ray question...

Anderton

• Members

I'm doing a short promo video that needs to be burned to Blu-Ray and do continuous (looped) playback. It doesn't need authoring with things like different chapters and points of entry, it just needs to be able to repeat over and over and over and over and...well, you get the point.

Is there authoring software that makes it easy to do this? Like when you say "Author to Blu-Ray," there's a little checkbox that says "loop the sucker?"

Help me out, o SSS brain trust!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Ed A. View Post
Apple's FCP X allows you to burn a Blu-ray disc that loops. If you check the loop check box, it will put a loop icon on the disc menu that will continually loop the movie:

blurayloop.png
Thanks ed, I don't use final cut pro, but perhaps vegas 12 has a similar feature. I will find out when I get a blue ray burner. Sorry for the lack of capitalization, but I'm using speech recognition in vista for the first time.

• Members
Apple's FCP X allows you to burn a Blu-ray disc that loops. If you check the loop check box, it will put a loop icon on the disc menu that will continually loop the movie:

blurayloop.png
Thanks ed, I don't use final cut pro, but perhaps vegas 12 has a similar feature. I will find out when I get a blue ray burner. Sorry for the lack of capitalization, but I'm using speech recognition in vista for the first time.

• Members

From the Sony Vegas Pro site:

"Author menu-based and single-title DVD and Blu-ray Disc projects using preset backgrounds, motion menus, buttons, and effects. In addition to these presets, you can import your own layered Photoshop

• Members

"Author menu-based and single-title DVD and Blu-ray Disc projects using preset backgrounds, motion menus, buttons, and effects. In addition to these presets, you can import your own layered Photoshop

• Members

• Members

• Members
Glad to help.

Since you're looking for a Blu-ray burner, I'd recommend this from OWC:

6x portable USB 2.0 Blu-ray burner
Thanks again! I've seen some people complain about OWC's service, though...I was thinking I should buy one locally in case there are problems getting it to work with my system. Prices overall seem comparable.

• Members
Glad to help.

Since you're looking for a Blu-ray burner, I'd recommend this from OWC:

6x portable USB 2.0 Blu-ray burner
Thanks again! I've seen some people complain about OWC's service, though...I was thinking I should buy one locally in case there are problems getting it to work with my system. Prices overall seem comparable.

• Members

I can't stand OWC's service, so I'm definitely one of those who will no longer shop there. I mean, it's one thing if you don't receive a product that works once. That happens.

But twice in a row?
And then a third time in a row? The first + two replacements, none of which work properly? WTF?

And you keep complaining and then asking for a refund after six months of trouble but they still refuse and then after a while simply stop responding to you?

And then you discover it's because they configured the product incorrectly and have the wrong information on their website, and you tell them this and they still don't respond or update the information on their website?

I realize that there's worse things that companies have done. But there's far better stores, stores who will treat you right. And that's where I'm going to spend my money. You guys know me. I'm one of those people who rarely complain about stores. But OWC seriously sucks.

• Members

I can't stand OWC's service, so I'm definitely one of those who will no longer shop there. I mean, it's one thing if you don't receive a product that works once. That happens.

But twice in a row?
And then a third time in a row? The first + two replacements, none of which work properly? WTF?

And you keep complaining and then asking for a refund after six months of trouble but they still refuse and then after a while simply stop responding to you?

And then you discover it's because they configured the product incorrectly and have the wrong information on their website, and you tell them this and they still don't respond or update the information on their website?

I realize that there's worse things that companies have done. But there's far better stores, stores who will treat you right. And that's where I'm going to spend my money. You guys know me. I'm one of those people who rarely complain about stores. But OWC seriously sucks.

• Members

I bought 32GB of memory from OWC and 8GB was found to be bad. Not only did their technician help me troubleshoot which module was bad, he also shipped to me, in two days, a pair a modules before I had to return the old ones (Even though just one module was bad, they replace them in pairs). He also emailed me a prepaid shipping tag to return the old memory. So I'd have to say, I'm very happy with their service.

As for the Blu-ray burner, I've used it a few times and it works great, I especially like that it's USB powered. Not bad for $99.

• Members

I bought 32GB of memory from OWC and 8GB was found to be bad. Not only did their technician help me troubleshoot which module was bad, he also shipped to me, in two days, a pair a modules before I had to return the old ones (Even though just one module was bad, they replace them in pairs). He also emailed me a prepaid shipping tag to return the old memory. So I'd have to say, I'm very happy with their service.

As for the Blu-ray burner, I've used it a few times and it works great, I especially like that it's USB powered. Not bad for $99.

• Members

Fantastic. While I hear about others complaining about OWC, I also hear a lot of people who are satisfied customers, which tells me that it probably either depends on who you deal with or they are inconsistent. I have no idea. But six months of that bull{censored} and incompetence for me was the last straw. Give me Mercenary, Sweetwater, or somebody else any day.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Just to follow up...

I went to Best Buy and bought an LG Blu-Ray burner. At least, I thought it was; it actually burned everything under the sun except Blu-Ray, although it could play them back.

I took it back to the store in Santa Fe, and they didn't have any other burners. I asked if their store in Albuquerque had any in stock, and they had one for $149. I made the drive down there and found that actually, they had a newer, USB 3.0 model for $120 which they recommended. Sold.

First, it worked fine. Windows recognized it immediately. The only weirdness is I have to turn it on after the computer has booted; no big deal.

Second, Ed. A was totally right (where's my :thu: icon?). But, it's a little different in Vegas. The looping feature described in the ad copy is about tying it to a menu, and this wasn't supposed to have a menu. Well, there's a function called End Action. I set it to Link, and for the destination, specified the beginning of the file. It worked perfectly...loooooooooooooooooooooooooping.

So, I got the project done, the client was real happy, the video looks GREAT in high def, and I have a Blu-Ray burner that'll burn 25 or 50GB at a time. Just in time, too, that's going to be a lot easier than saving all my NAMM videos to 20 DVD-ROMs.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Ed A. wrote:

FCP X is great. Instead of having to export to multiple programs for titling, and DVD authorship, the have made the process quite seamless now. Just burn your Blue-ray in FCP.

Archived