Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best music notation software?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I started using Overture when Opcode released it in the 90s. It's now independent, and I'm still using it. www.sonicscores.com

I've never changed to anything else, because I never wanted to spend the time learning something new, and, I guess, because I don't use it every day, or even every week - I treat audio production and visual chart production as separate tasks, and like to use different tools for each.

So I can do pretty-well everything I want in Overture, including professional work for TV live-to-air bands. It's not perfect, requires some massaging, and improvements are notoriously slow, since it is largely a one-person programming situation. But it works. Music notation is such a complex thing that it's a wonder that any software exists at all. Finding the perfect application I fear will be a dream for a long, long time.

With recent movements at Sibelius, I'm glad I didn't go down that path.

But, those programmers have recently been signed to Steinberg, so I hear. Anyone heard any more news on that front?

Comment

• JamesGV
      JamesGV commented
      Editing a comment

jjjggg wrote:
      I started using Overture when Opcode released it in the 90s. It's now independent, and I'm still using it. www.sonicscores.com

I've never changed to anything else, because I never wanted to spend the time learning something new, and, I guess, because I don't use it every day, or even every week - I treat audio production and visual chart production as separate tasks, and like to use different tools for each.

So I can do pretty-well everything I want in Overture, including professional work for TV live-to-air bands. It's not perfect, requires some massaging, and improvements are notoriously slow, since it is largely a one-person programming situation. But it works. Music notation is such a complex thing that it's a wonder that any software exists at all. Finding the perfect application I fear will be a dream for a long, long time.

With recent movements at Sibelius, I'm glad I didn't go down that path.

But, those programmers have recently been signed to Steinberg, so I hear. Anyone heard any more news on that front?

I don't.

If overture is slow. If you invest  time to learn faster software you can economize time. This more important than money.

I wrote a message, but the thing keeps coming back to tell me to "correct the highlighted errors" of which NONE are shown.

Also a note that "Message cannot exceed 20,000 characters

Sorry.......way too much trouble to have to go to.......doesn't appear to have even a character counter to tell you where you commence to exceed the limit.

Poppa

Comment

Quick Score Elite Level 2, every time. Try out the demo version and you'll see why. It's fully intuitive, it doesn't come with any FX but can hold any VST/FX DLL going (just about - there's a few big ones that are too much for it but it's darned good!) and you can edit/change/revise without having to hunt through menus. Only downside is there's only holes for 8 VSTs (Why, Chris Sion!?!-it's Sionsoft software - ) and you can only put effects on the FRONT END of a VST so it's one VST one sound even if the VST is multitimbral.

I've put a question in another part of Harmony Central forum asking for help with MIDI-Yoking QSE to DAWs - if I get an answer and help I'll be able to link to it from here so anyone who uses notation can see how to wire it up to a DAW. This will enable you to mix as you go along, like I do, so youi can hear how each part of a piece will sound in the finished version.

I know people SAY there's 3 parts to creating a track - writing it, mixing it and mastering it - but I don't see why the last two shouldn't be amalgamated to makiing it into 2 parts - Writing it and Making it Sound Nice! Because if you mix it withouit the mastering software on, you've always got to redo all the mixing software settings when you hit the mastering software anyway because all the sound levels change (unless that's just me because I'm a noooob still!)

Yours respectfully

Chris.

Comment

I subscribed to Avid Sibelius 8.5.1, but it refuses to stay activated. I have slow internet, and the software never works without a bunch of effort including finding the right instructions, tracking down ID and activation numbers, deleting a Sibelius directory in Program Files, empty the recycle bin, and on and on...

I'm done with Avid: worse licensing scheme than Adobe if that is possible. Time to cut losses and find a working solution. DON'T buy Sibelius if you don't have a rock solid internet connection.

I just want reasonably powerful notation software with playback that has output that will be accepted by professional music publishers. Any suggestions?
        Last edited by scobrado; 05-10-2017, 06:00 PM.

Comment

I don't have a product to offer. But on the pianoworld forum, there's a "composer's lounge" subforum. I'd try them if nothing pops up here.
          https://soundcloud.com/david-goethe/tracks

Dave's ,YouTube channel

Comment

Working...
          X