Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best music notation software?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote Originally Posted by Goobers
    View Post

one of the problems with Finale (and Sibelius I guess) is that they try to be all things to all people. And the coding just isn't elegant. So they wind up being Franken-programs, just constantly adding features and modules without ever neatening things up.

So they get bloated and quirky and inconsistent.

It would be nice if Finale had a lot of money and could rewrite its **************** from scratch.

I think you are right. Due to MakeMusic reports and NASDAQ infor Finale doesn't has a lot of money.

Where a solution could be?
    Music Notation Software - Maestro Composer
    Music Scanning Software - SharpEye, PhotoScore, SmartScore

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest Buckley
      View Post

Well said. Maybe one of these days we`ll get lucky and Apple will buy out Finale... one can dream...

Do you believe in this?

In this case Apple will not be Apple .

Comment

View Post

I hoped for that, especially after Avid bought Sibelius... thinking Apple might be motivated by a "music software arms race."

And it would be GREAT to integrate Finale with Logic.

At this point, however, it just doesn't seem like there's all that motivation for Apple to buy Finale. Apple wouldn't get that much for its money, and it would come with a lot of headaches.

I think the problem is that music notation software costs more money to do right than it can possibly make with its niche customer base.

On a gut level, both Finale and Sibelius seem like they've stalled out.

Maybe some Paul Allen gazillionaire with a soft spot for music will infuse one of these companies with the millions it needs to develop the next generation notation software.

If finale and Sibelius are stalled out where solution is?

How next generation of music notation software have looks and works like?

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by pbognar
          View Post

Aaahh, not so fast, I was kind of hoping Roland would buy Finale, and put a subset of the functionality into Sonar..

There is an information that Roland interested in music notation software buying?

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by JamesGV
            View Post

I think you are right. Due to MakeMusic reports and NASDAQ infor Finale doesn't has a lot of money.

Where a solution could be?

I don't know

View Post

If finale and Sibelius are stalled out where solution is?

How next generation of music notation software have looks and works like?

that's really not at the level of Finale or Sibelius - they still look better than that.

I used Finale the other day, and as much as I bitched about it in this thread, it's still an amazing program that lets you get your work done
            I will be banned soon, so don't get too attached.

Comment

View Post

one of the problems with Finale (and Sibelius I guess) is that they try to be all things to all people.

May be specialiazed music notation software like this, can be a solution for some musicians?

Comment

Hey James you should have 3 post nikitema, or someone like him.....also with a face totally concealed by shadow in his avatar pic...... jump back in...... and say how he/she uses Maestro Composer also and how great it is. I mean really.....how dumb does someone have to be, to not get that you are spamming? I will give you that you are going to a lot more effort than most. A for effort.

Comment

Some people wish find bad in everything. This trend was without me for a month or even more so I wrote many answers in 1 day.

By the way MagicScore Maestro 6 got 1-st place from and gold award Toptenreviews.com (most popular due to Google independent review)

http://www.google.com/search?&q=musi...re&hl=en&pws=0

Now MagicScore Maestro 7 occupies the 3-rd place after products from Sibelius and Finale particulary counting its price - $79.95 (before New Year you can find coupons with $30 off)

http://music-notation-software-revie...enreviews.com/

Maestro Composer has more possibilities but now MagicScore Maestro has more recent release.

I don't pretend that this software better than Sibelius of Finale but theis price also 6-10 times less.

I think now is the good time to explain my opinion about this topic.

Before Sibelius 7, Finale was better after Sibelius 7 release up to me Sibelius was better. But Avid made a huge mistake, so now it will be big mistake to bet on Sibelius. From other side for a long time were not important changes (except pink panles ) in FInale. As explained other musicians there is a problem with support for Finale and Sibelius. But these software are the leaders for now.

Comment

View Post

Some people wish find bad in everything. This trend was without me for a month or even more so I wrote many answers in 1 day.

By the way MagicScore Maestro 6 got 1-st place from and gold award Toptenreviews.com (most popular due to Google independent review)

http://www.google.com/search?&q=musi...re&hl=en&pws=0

Now MagicScore Maestro 7 occupies the 3-rd place after products from Sibelius and Finale particulary counting its price - $79.95 (before New Year you can find coupons with $30 off)

http://music-notation-software-revie...enreviews.com/

Maestro Composer has more possibilities but now MagicScore Maestro has more recent release.

I don't pretend that this software better than Sibelius of Finale but theis price also 6-10 times less.

I think now is the good time to explain my opinion about this topic.

Before Sibelius 7, Finale was better after Sibelius 7 release up to me Sibelius was better. But Avid made a huge mistake, so now it will be big mistake to bet on Sibelius. From other side for a long time were not important changes (except pink panles ) in FInale. As explained other musicians there is a problem with support for Finale and Sibelius. But these software are the leaders for now.

you work for this company?
                    I will be banned soon, so don't get too attached.

Comment

finale and sibelius are both pretty capable programs, and both are a PITA to use properly. my wife and her partner are pros, with around 50 published works through 3 differnt publishers, and from that standpoint, finale seems to be more accepted in the publishing world. if you are only interested in documenting your work, rather than publishing, there are cheaper, easier alternatives to use. i started out using Dr T's Quickscore, then musicator, then finale.
                      jnorman
                      sunridge studios
                      salem, oregon

Comment

finale and sibelius are both pretty capable programs, and both are a PITA to use properly. my wife and her partner are pros, with around 50 published works through 3 differnt publishers, and from that standpoint, finale seems to be more accepted in the publishing world. if you are only interested in documenting your work, rather than publishing, there are cheaper, easier alternatives to use. i started out using Dr T's Quickscore, then musicator, then finale.
                        jnorman
                        sunridge studios
                        salem, oregon

Comment

jnorman
                          sunridge studios
                          salem, oregon

Comment

I still use Personal Composer... And I shudder to think how long I have done so for.

Comment

I still use Personal Composer... And I shudder to think how long I have done so for.

Comment

I started using Overture when Opcode released it in the 90s. It's now independent, and I'm still using it. www.sonicscores.com

I've never changed to anything else, because I never wanted to spend the time learning something new, and, I guess, because I don't use it every day, or even every week - I treat audio production and visual chart production as separate tasks, and like to use different tools for each.

So I can do pretty-well everything I want in Overture, including professional work for TV live-to-air bands. It's not perfect, requires some massaging, and improvements are notoriously slow, since it is largely a one-person programming situation. But it works. Music notation is such a complex thing that it's a wonder that any software exists at all. Finding the perfect application I fear will be a dream for a long, long time.

With recent movements at Sibelius, I'm glad I didn't go down that path.

But, those programmers have recently been signed to Steinberg, so I hear. Anyone heard any more news on that front?

Comment

Working...
                                X