Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Take an Integrated Circuit To Lunch Today

The concept of the integrated circuit turns 61 today. On June 7, 1952, in a paper presented at the IRE (now IEEE) US Electronic Components Symposium, British radar scientist Geoffrey Dummer proposed the concept of the integrated circuit. From his paper:

"With the advent of the transistor and the work on semi-conductors generally, it now seems possible to envisage electronic equipment in a solid block with no connecting wires. The block may consist of layers of insulating, conducting, rectifying and amplifying materials, the electronic functions being connected directly by cutting out areas of the various layers."

The British electronics industry wasn't interested in this idea, but the US industry decided to give it a go.

--
    "Today's production equipment is IT-based and cannot be operated without a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be operated without a passing knowledge of audio." - John Watkinson, Resolution Magazine, October 2006
    Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then

So...how was everybody's lunch?

Ken Lee on 500px / Ken's Photo Store / Ken Lee Photography Facebook Website / Blueberry Buddha Studios / Ajanta Palace Houseboat - Kashmir / Hotel Green View - Kashmir / Eleven Shadows website / Ken Lee Photography Blog / Akai 12-track tape transfers / MY NEW ALBUM! The Mercury Seven

Comment

• MikeRivers
      MikeRivers commented
      Editing a comment

I ate my cell phone.

Working...
X