OT - Star Wars, or Star Trek?

• Members

There are things I like and appreciate about Star Wars; but for me, Star Trek is the easy winner.

I don't think Star Wars would have ever been made if not for the success of Star Trek. That said, Star Wars was a leap forward when it came out both in terms of special effects and picking up the pace of action films; and its spirituality expanded the sci-fi genre and helped pave the way for the budding new age movement.

So why do I like the Star Trek franchise better? For starters, with 12 movies and five television series consisting of hundreds of episodes, there's so much more to choose from

• Members

Star Trek is a conglomeration of a zillion episodes - there's not much over-arching met-narrative, not much of a feel of an entire world being created.  So Star Wars takes the prize on that score.  

But Star Trek has an edge when it comes to the breadth of topics dealt with, no question there.  TNG gets a bit preachy at times - but I can live with that.

In terms of cultural impact, I'd have to give the nod to Star Wars at the end of the day.  Although, if the franchise doesn't turn things around with the upcoming JJ Abrams production - if it continues to rely on the aging formula of childish slapstick, goofy cartoony characters, and ever-busier action scenes, etc -  it's going to degrade it's legacy and self-deconstruct.  It desperately needs characters we really care about or really fear again. 

nat whilk ii

• Members

Every time I look at the gunk in my computer keyboard at work I think of Gattaca and their meticulous vacuuming of their DNA out of their keyboards.

And every time someone mentions Forbidden Planet, which I haven't seen, I immediately think they're referring to Fantastic Planet, an incredibly weird surreal animated movie about a slave on an alien planet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'll take Star Trek over Star Wars because I've never had a desire to go back and rewatch any of the Star Wars movies. Too bad Enterprise got canceled just as it was getting good. I've always like this promo done by ST Enterprise.de

Archived