Are iOS Devices Getting Traction for Music?

• Members

When I see all those iOS control thingies and instrument thingies and fun little DJ apps and stuff, I can't help but wonder what kind of traction they're getting. I did shop for some amps and effects for the Zoom MS-100BT effects box with Bluetooth, which was pretty cool, and of course there are the Mackie iPad mixers and the DigiTech iPB-10...but these are all applications where the iOS devices accessorizes something else.

Anyway, I asked a question similar to this a while ago, and just wondered if the iOS thing has become more prominent, less promient, or stayed about the same.

• Members

There's no doubt in my mind that they're growing more prominent. Each hardware generation offers more power, and new apps are released every day. iOS devices' convenience and portability eclipses laptops; and while their power is still dwarfed by traditional computers, iOS devices often have plenty of power for their intended use.

The biggest obstacle to overcome at this point is sharing audio and MIDI between iOS apps. There are protocols that exist right now, but there's not an elegant or pervasive one that has become the de facto standard. I hope Apple will get on top of that situation soon.

Best,

Geoff

• CMS Author

It's a pretty small field compared to the number of iOS devices out there. Given that, I think it's doing pretty well.

I want to see some useful audio or even music production apps for the Android, because I have one. Those are still pretty rare and what's out there that I've found isn't very good.

• Members

MikeRivers wrote:

It's a pretty small field compared to the number of iOS devices out there. Given that, I think it's doing pretty well.

I want to see some useful audio or even music production apps for the Android, because I have one. Those are still pretty rare and what's out there that I've found isn't very good.

The Android OS never really paid much attention to real-time audio, so the latency really gets in the way. However, I've heard rumors that the next gen Android OS tackles the latency issue, and Sonoma Wire Works announced a solution at last Winter NAMM.

Archived