Is this possible? Replace your leadvox with the timbres of another singer?

• Members

I wonder if this can be done....     Replacing your solo leadvox on a track with some software algorithm that transforms your voice recognizably  into the vocal timbre of another singer?

Thoughts?   If not,  I expect it's in the pipeline...

ras

• Members

Well, if I speed up the pitch a little bit without changing tempo, I end up sounding like Bart Simpson. And if I slow down the pitch without changing tempo, I sound more like Morgan Freeman. But that's about as far as it goes.

However, think about the Variax for a second...it's able to transform the sound of a string to the sound of a different string. Can something similar for voice be far away? I don't know. Don't forget that part of a voice's distinctive characteristics is unpitched sounds, so I'm not sure what an algorithm would do with that. Pitch correction algorithms sure seem to have a hard time with the concept.

• Members

If this sort of thing became available and it actually sounded 'good', I'd probably start recording using computer software :)

My singing voice is the one thing above all others that I don't like, hence I double-track it and add effects

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

rasputin1963 wrote:

I wonder if this can be done....     Replacing your solo leadvox on a track with some software algorithm that transforms your voice recognizably  into the vocal timbre of another singer?

Thoughts?   If not,  I expect it's in the pipeline...

ras

You can change the timbre of for example a male singer into a female singer with the Pitch Tool and Formant Tool in Celemony's Melodyne Editor.

For the Formant Tool there is no video manual made yet:

http://www.celemony.com/cms/index.php?id=videos

but may watch the videos:

> Melodyne Editor > Editing notes using the Macros and Tools

- Shifting Formants

or

Create rich and atmospheric sound FX by manipulating the frequency spectrum, and 

- Editing Pop Vocals

Archived