Any of you piano-playing types fancy a bit of paid work?

Mark L

• Members

I've always wanted to hear what the following song would sound like, if it were done properly

I can't play piano to save my life and my singing voice is quite weedy

If you fancy having a go, and the result is pleasing, I'll send you five English pounds (

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm not much better of a piano player, but I might give it a try.

Here are two things you can post to make it easier/better.

1) same as you posted, but with a count-in click before the piano starts

2) vocal-only track, also with the count-in click.

The reason for vocal track is for those of us who can't sing or don't want to replace your vocals, so we can post a quick mix of our piano part with your vox.

The reason for the count-in clicks is twofold. First, mp3 adds a variable amount of time at the beginning of a track, up to about 25 msec, which throws timing off unless there's a sync part. Second, it's so we can come in on the first beat.

I assume you don't want us to just copy your part and play it better, but to do a bit of a part arrangement. Frankly, your piano part is good: it works, it's simple and doesn't distract. The biggest problem with it is the piano you're using, which is OK but not stellar, and a bit lacking in character. Definitely good enough for demos. Is that a P80?

• Members

Marky,  how do you like to receive/exchange large audio files?    Are you on GOOGLE DRIVE?      That's the system I'm most preferring nowadays to exchange very large files.     Let me know.

(UPDATE---->)   But if you're not using a DAW,   how would you synch up/use  files that others give you?

• Members

learjeff wrote:

I'm not much better of a piano player, but I might give it a try.

Here are two things you can post to make it easier/better.

1) same as you posted, but with a count-in click before the piano starts

2) vocal-only track, also with the count-in click.

The reason for vocal track is for those of us who can't sing or don't want to replace your vocals, so we can post a quick mix of our piano part with your vox.

The reason for the count-in clicks is twofold. First, mp3 adds a variable amount of time at the beginning of a track, up to about 25 msec, which throws timing off unless there's a sync part. Second, it's so we can come in on the first beat.

I assume you don't want us to just copy your part and play it better, but to do a bit of a part arrangement. Frankly, your piano part is good: it works, it's simple and doesn't distract. The biggest problem with it is the piano you're using, which is OK but not stellar, and a bit lacking in character. Definitely good enough for demos. Is that a P80?

I no longer have the master to this tune (or the vast majority of tunes I've written, actually), so I can't isolate the vocals

Nor do I record with a DAW, so I can't really introduce a click-track

I was really hoping someone would do a new arrangement from scratch (including vocals), and I could furnish them with the words and chords

Maybe my offer of 

• Members

rasputin1963 wrote:

Marky,  how do you like to receive/exchange large audio files?    Are you on
GOOGLE DRIVE
?      That's the system I'm most preferring nowadays to exchange very large files.     Let me know.

(UPDATE---->)   But if you're not using a DAW,   how would you synch up/use  files that others give you?

I don't use anything for large files. I wouldn't know about stuff like that

Maybe this isn't such a good idea after all :(

• Members

Hi Mark,

I would also like to take a shot. Can you also PM me with the info for Google Drive?

I have listened to the song, which is quite nice, and what's stands out first, is a few possible changes to the chords:

1. After the BbMaj7, the Em sounds wrong, and I would change this to Em7b5 (half diminished) so it becomes Bbmaj7 Em7b5 A   which in my opinion matches the melody much better.

2. The chorus ending on Gm (or Gm with 9) has a rough transition to the next verse with Fmaj7. I would have used something like this:

Gm7   Ebmaj7  Dm  Fmaj7

• Members

OnKeyboards wrote:

Hi Mark,

I would also like to take a shot. Can you also PM me with the info for Google Drive?

I have listened to the song, which is quite nice, and what's stands out first, is a few possible changes to the chords:

1. After the BbMaj7, the Em sounds wrong, and I would change this to Em7b5 (half diminished) so it becomes Bbmaj7 Em7b5 A   which in my opinion matches the melody much better.

2. The chorus ending on Gm (or Gm with 9) has a rough transition to the next verse with Fmaj7. I would have used something like this:

Gm7   Ebmaj7  Dm  Fmaj7

You have me at a disadvantage. You obviously know what you're talking about, whereas I don't ;)

PM on its way...

• Members

Ernest Buckley wrote:

Hey Chappy,

I can do the whole thing for you. Let me know exactly what you want. 

Peace,

EB

Thanks, Ernest :)

I want your interpretation. That's what I want

I'd rather you didn't change any of the words, but if you want to tinker slightly with the chords, that's fine by me

A shiny new fiver is awaiting you, don't forget ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived