Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any of you piano-playing types fancy a bit of paid work?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any of you piano-playing types fancy a bit of paid work?

I've always wanted to hear what the following song would sound like, if it were done properly

I can't play piano to save my life and my singing voice is quite weedy

If you fancy having a go, and the result is pleasing, I'll send you five English pounds (

a selection of my songs: https://soundcloud.com/songwriter101

my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/SaulTiberiusNads

I'm not much better of a piano player, but I might give it a try.

Here are two things you can post to make it easier/better.

1) same as you posted, but with a count-in click before the piano starts
    2) vocal-only track, also with the count-in click.

The reason for vocal track is for those of us who can't sing or don't want to replace your vocals, so we can post a quick mix of our piano part with your vox.

The reason for the count-in clicks is twofold. First, mp3 adds a variable amount of time at the beginning of a track, up to about 25 msec, which throws timing off unless there's a sync part. Second, it's so we can come in on the first beat.

I assume you don't want us to just copy your part and play it better, but to do a bit of a part arrangement. Frankly, your piano part is good: it works, it's simple and doesn't distract. The biggest problem with it is the piano you're using, which is OK but not stellar, and a bit lacking in character. Definitely good enough for demos. Is that a P80?
    learjeff.net

Comment

• MarkydeSad
      MarkydeSad commented
      Editing a comment

learjeff wrote:
      I'm not much better of a piano player, but I might give it a try.

Here are two things you can post to make it easier/better.

1) same as you posted, but with a count-in click before the piano starts
      2) vocal-only track, also with the count-in click.

The reason for vocal track is for those of us who can't sing or don't want to replace your vocals, so we can post a quick mix of our piano part with your vox.

The reason for the count-in clicks is twofold. First, mp3 adds a variable amount of time at the beginning of a track, up to about 25 msec, which throws timing off unless there's a sync part. Second, it's so we can come in on the first beat.

I assume you don't want us to just copy your part and play it better, but to do a bit of a part arrangement. Frankly, your piano part is good: it works, it's simple and doesn't distract. The biggest problem with it is the piano you're using, which is OK but not stellar, and a bit lacking in character. Definitely good enough for demos. Is that a P80?

I no longer have the master to this tune (or the vast majority of tunes I've written, actually), so I can't isolate the vocals

Nor do I record with a DAW, so I can't really introduce a click-track

I was really hoping someone would do a new arrangement from scratch (including vocals), and I could furnish them with the words and chords

Maybe my offer of 

Marky,  how do you like to receive/exchange large audio files?    Are you on GOOGLE DRIVE?      That's the system I'm most preferring nowadays to exchange very large files.     Let me know.

(UPDATE---->)   But if you're not using a DAW,   how would you synch up/use  files that others give you?

<div class="signaturecontainer"> <br />
    <font color="blue"><b><font color="olive"><font color="sienna"><font color="purple">Every paint-stroke takes you farther and farther away from your initial concept. And you have to be thankful for that. </font> </font></font><font color="olive">Wayne Thiebaud</font></b></font><br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <b><font color="#808000"><font color="blue"><a href="http://www.facebook.com/#!/rasputin1963/info" target="_blank">Friend me on FACEBOOK!</a> </font></font></b><br />
    <font color="#808000"> <br />
    <br />
    </font></div>

Comment

• MarkydeSad
      MarkydeSad commented
      Editing a comment

rasputin1963 wrote:

Marky,  how do you like to receive/exchange large audio files?    Are you on GOOGLE DRIVE?      That's the system I'm most preferring nowadays to exchange very large files.     Let me know.

(UPDATE---->)   But if you're not using a DAW,   how would you synch up/use  files that others give you?

I don't use anything for large files. I wouldn't know about stuff like that

Maybe this isn't such a good idea after all

Hi Mark,

I would also like to take a shot. Can you also PM me with the info for Google Drive?

I have listened to the song, which is quite nice, and what's stands out first, is a few possible changes to the chords:

1. After the BbMaj7, the Em sounds wrong, and I would change this to Em7b5 (half diminished) so it becomes Bbmaj7 Em7b5 A   which in my opinion matches the melody much better.

2. The chorus ending on Gm (or Gm with 9) has a rough transition to the next verse with Fmaj7. I would have used something like this:

Gm7   Ebmaj7  Dm  Fmaj7

Comment

• MarkydeSad
      MarkydeSad commented
      Editing a comment

OnKeyboards wrote:

Hi Mark,

I would also like to take a shot. Can you also PM me with the info for Google Drive?

I have listened to the song, which is quite nice, and what's stands out first, is a few possible changes to the chords:

1. After the BbMaj7, the Em sounds wrong, and I would change this to Em7b5 (half diminished) so it becomes Bbmaj7 Em7b5 A   which in my opinion matches the melody much better.

2. The chorus ending on Gm (or Gm with 9) has a rough transition to the next verse with Fmaj7. I would have used something like this:

Gm7   Ebmaj7  Dm  Fmaj7

You have me at a disadvantage. You obviously know what you're talking about, whereas I don't

PM on its way...

Hey Chappy,

I can do the whole thing for you. Let me know exactly what you want. 

Peace,

EB

Comment

• MarkydeSad
      MarkydeSad commented
      Editing a comment

Ernest Buckley wrote:

Hey Chappy,

I can do the whole thing for you. Let me know exactly what you want. 

Peace,

EB

Thanks, Ernest

I want your interpretation. That's what I want

I'd rather you didn't change any of the words, but if you want to tinker slightly with the chords, that's fine by me

A shiny new fiver is awaiting you, don't forget

Oy, stop arguing!

Or I may have to spank the pair of you. And you wouldn't like THAT!! .png" alt=":smileymad:" title="Smiley Mad" />

a selection of my songs: https://soundcloud.com/songwriter101

my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/SaulTiberiusNads

Comment

• Rudolf von Hagenwil
      Editing a comment

Why do women run away from the nice men?

• Goobers
      Goobers commented
      Editing a comment

MarkydeSad wrote:

Oy, stop arguing!

Or I may have to spank the pair of you. And you wouldn't like THAT!! .png" alt=":smileymad:" title="Smiley Mad" />

if I knew you were going to spank us, I would've started arguing a lot sooner :womanlol:

Working...
X