What's Your Day-Job?

Mark L

• Members

MarkydeSad wrote:

I work for a dental lab
:smileyembarrassed:

I had to check my notes for the dust sleeve bio on my unfinished novel...

I appear to currently be a free lance web developer, which, checking my bookmark in the Akashic Record, I believe is the 21st century equivalent of intenerant cobbler/tinkerer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

One company, two hats. Chief Information Officer and Risk Management Director. I work for a not-for-profit community mental health center in one of the poorest areas of the US. Between managed care, the government's Meaningful Use electronic health record project that they totally botched for the mental health side, a mismanaged state retirement system that used to charge the agency 7 percent and now wants 40 percent payroll contribution, oh, and companies talking our governor into privatizing parts of lowest level health care so they can take the money and not provide the services

• Members

I already sort of fessed up in another thread. I was a professional violinist for about 20 years. Solo, duos, trios, quartets, quintets, opera pit orchestras, chamber orchestras, pops orchestras, etc. Just a gig piggin orchestra grunt, really. Trenches baby, the trenches. And I really did consider that to be a day job most of the time, as I had an electric violin dream I was after.

Some WEA A&R guy in Minneapolis caught my 'act' and met with me after. He said some very nice things...and gave me big ideas I suppose. At that point I completely stopped any effort at upward mobility in the classical world. Yes, being a regular violin player seemed very much a day job at that point. 

Stuff happens. Divorce, directly upon my return from Minneapolis. Then pnueumonia a few couple of years later, the direct result of burning the candle at both ends. The band I'd just formed bailed. And then a few years later a very, very bad neck injury.

No day job. Precious little dream left. Oh well.  

I now run a daycare with my current wife. I cook. Light cleaning. Gopher supplies. Rattle my chains once in a while.

Whatever. It's a dayjob too. I'm still here, and things are looking up in some ways. I guess I've had some karma to work out though. Huh? Ya think? :smileyvery-happy:

• Members

I'm a Commercial Refrigeration Technician, as I have been for nearly 40 years. I live my life in, on the roofs, and the mechanical rooms of Supermarkets, with occasional forays out to energy and chemical plants to work on cryogenic chillers. various sharp turns in life kept me from taking my musical dreams beyond a few Garage bands and my own mechanical business. Didn't stop me from playing altogether..but definitely kept me from achieving any prowess musically..or amassing any wealth. Did same lameass recording on my own, which you can hear below...You won't be impressed.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I am an Independant contractor as a news paper carrier for two newspapers. Also I have music lesson business. All three are near life support. The newspaper biz is a dying industry or to be positive for the focused ones a transition but I most likely wont be part of that new vision. My music lesson business is struggling from a drop in new aspiring musicians and my own lack of marketing strategy.

I used to be in the corporate world until my kids were born and it made more sense for me or my spouse to take care of them and I was the logical choice to be Mr Mom for the last 20 years for a lot of reasons. It also gave me the opportunity stay in the music world.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Members

I miss you, man.

I owe him big time. We were both veterans. And a PM he sent me a few years ago led me to something really life-changing. I'd never thought about it until he took it on himself to contact me.

He was always helping other people. He never mentioned to me he was ill.

• Members

When I lived in Vermont, I had a private practice of optometry as well as a 24 track studio with a Yamaha C7Fll piano. I was able to block off patient appointments in order to have recording sessions. That ended 12 years ago. I could not stand the cold weather any longer. I moved to North Carolina to work for the ophthalmology department of a naval hospital doing LASIK co-management. I do preoperative and post-operative examinations of active duty military personnel. I no longer have much time for recording since I am not in control of my appointment schedule.

Kenneth Begun, O.D.

http://www.begunaudio.com

• Members

I am in the gumbo trade. Right now, the world's attention is shifting over to gumbo from show biz. People used to surf the web, read books or go to movies. Now they try to figure out how to make a dark roux from Youtube videos. They don't know every of those one videos was put there as an act of sabotage intended only to ambush their ambitions, dash their desires and kill their dreams of becoming one of the select few culinary cognoscenti.

I can sell you some starter roux though - thousand bucks a quarter pan. Beautiful. Looks like a slice of chocolate pie.

Packed frozen. Shipped via bonded courier. Delivered to your door. No refunds and no burnt bits. Every deal is final. Every slice of roux is smokey and rich.

The gumbo trade ain't like selling guitars on EBay. This is serious business here.

Archived