Help Save a Mackie SR 1530 empty Cab.

• CMS Author

Go to Parts Express and start shopping. They have a lot of speaker components and some pretty good information about how to build a system from components. Don't spend too much money on it.

Better yet, seal up the holes and use it as a rowboat. Fishing is more fun than building, testing, and ultimately carrying loudspeakers.

• Moderators

el faquir wrote:

Hello,

I was wondering if you could please help me, I have an empty Cab form what used to be a Mackie SR 1530 and I would like to load some drivers/speakers to it and get it running as passive full range cab for our band

• Members

Picked up a pair of these 15" celestions for My PA cabs.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=299-418

They are 300W Trace Elliot speakers made for celestion and are an excellent build. They are on sale for $49 each and if you buy a pair you get free shipping.

Don't know if the cabs have the on board power amp, but Parts Express also has the in cabinet power amps, and all kinds of horns. Prices are very good. If you go with the in cab power amp, you don't need crossovers, the amp does that for you. If you go passive then there's a number of choices. You just need to make sure the woofers upper frequency overlaps the horns frequency and select a crossover that splits the two frequencies where the two drivers overlap each other. 

The only thing I see being a big problem is if the horn cone has been removed from the cab. If they just unscrewed the horn driver and left the horn is there then its simple to find a standard bolt on or screw in horn driver. If its a screw in driver, they have two standard threaded type horn threads so measure the hole size. The bolt in too have standard holes on the flanges, but so long as the hole matches up you can always drill the holes to match up if its off a little.

Archived