The Cloud

Hush

• Members

Anyone here storing stuff in the cloud? My wife is a High School English teacher and looking to store as backup and have easy access to all of her materials that she has created. Any recommendations on what cloud service to use? She has about 7 gigs worth of stuff.

Thanks

• Members

I've been doing a musical collaboration in "the cloud" with some friends in two other states for last 18 months. Two people are on a Mac, two on a PC. The DAW is Reaper or Pro Tools. We're using Dropbox, which allows all to access and work on the project whenever we want. We tried a similar a few years ago, but Dropbox is much better than emailing files back and foth (or using yousendit).

• Members

I don't trust anything important to "the cloud". Do you still own the content? We will see in the future.

On a similar note, my wife took some video of me in Nashville. She sent it to my device using Bluetooth. It took forever. When the transfer was done , I tried to upload to YouTube. Youtube wouldn't accept the file because it came from "the cloud" ????????????????

The Samsung devices themselves are very scary for CONTENT. They are supposed to allow transfer of MY CONTENT only using their program KIES with USB cable and special codec. This only seems to work with Windows 7 and up and Apple computers. I started to move the files with Linux and it stopped dead several times. IOW Samsung doesn't want to make it easy for me to transfer my own custom mp4 videos. They have taken this copy protection to the next level. It is now becoming very difficult to copy OUR OWN content !

And yes, I have just pulled out the SDcard and copied before, but I have also CORRUPTED SD cards this way, even though the power is off during the hardware transfer. I have also found that you just can't pop an SD card with a ton of content onto a new phone or android without expecting trouble.

Anyone else here also notice how some of your apps disappear from your android ...all by themselves? We give Google that license, to REMOVE stuff. It is the same with "the cloud".

Dan

• Members

Google has 15 GB free shared between Drive, Photos and Gmail but can be all used in one place.

Mega has 50GB free, is browser based but may have some issues with IE, and is still going through some growing pains so may not be the best option.

If your wife doesn't mind installing an application, JustCloud has unlimited storage.

Archived