Guilty pleasures....song-wise

Mark L

• Members

As I get older, I don't mind admitting that I like certain songs

However, if when I was younger I'd said that I liked the following song, I might in all probability have been hanged, drawn and quartered by my peer-group

Do you have similar 'guilty pleasures'? Or are you of an age where you just don't care who knows what you like? :)

• Members

I love that record,  too,  Marky!    I had the 12" extended version...   and played it incessantly.

Here is a guilty pleasure of mine.   It's 1962 American teeny-bop,  but the chord changes are gorgeous,  and I love the vocal harmonies in the background.

Robin Ward-- "Wonderful Summer"

As the Beatles disbanded,  England released a whole spate of perfect three-minute bubblegum-type  pop singles,  many of which were one-hit wonders  (although a lot of the same writers and players appeared on all the records)    Things like:

and:

(pssst... this leadsinger sounds like our Marky,  no?)

and:

and this classic:

• Moderators

Ask any regular over at the songwriting forum and you'll find that I'm not guilty about any if it. Sure, I was once 17, but I witnessed my cool, intelligent friends hold on to they're "this is cool, that's not" mind sets as they grew older while I've always championed a what's good is good mentality.

I spent the day today analyzing Neil Hefti for Basie's band arrangements to get a melodic arc for a modern country pop tune I'm working on.

To me, the genre, what's hip, what's not, what's the thing now... It's all so easy. I see guys so intent on appearing knowledgable in their writing and listening habits and I'm fairly confident I could beat them at any sort.of music trivia contest. Be it modern, oldies, 60s 70s 80s classical jazz whatever contest .

I'm perfectly aware of what's out there from most genres and eras and how it is perceived by hip and unhip alike.

Because it has always been an intense interest for me. But what is guilty or not? I'm absolutely aware of the common, hip, young, old, cultured or not reception of music and how it rates on the acceptability scale for others and frankly....

...I couldn't care less.

If I can't do it yet, if I hear something deep in there that I can use, if someone is pulling off a musical move that at it core can help me and my music?

Nothing is guilty for me. And most importantly, if someone I'd connecting with people? I am all ears

Archived